CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Live in Newport Beach or Irvine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-06, 10:28 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Live in Newport Beach or Irvine?

I recently moved to the OC and temporarily living in Newport Beach / Newport Coast area and using a realtor to help us find a new home for us to settle in to.

I really enjoy this Newport Beach / Newport Coast area (love seeing the water everyday), but I find myself at times next door in Irvine and I like that area too.

The main factors that make me NOT able to make a decision is the investment in the house (re-sale), local schools, amount of space you get for your money as well as other factors.

My situation is I have one 3 year old daughter and twins on the way, so it seems that if I want more space for the money and a better public school Irvine is the way to go (living in an area in Irvine that goes to University High). I also like the diversity in Irvine.

However Newport Beach doesn't have a bad school system and in the future you can always send your kids to a Private School. There is something so beautiful about Newport Beach that it seems almost selfish to sacrifice a larger yard and better school system for Ocean views, etc....Also the resale in Newport Beach is better than in Irvine.

Your comments would be most appreciated.
Old 10-14-06, 10:42 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Ah I see you made it here, welcome to sunny SoCal (except for last 2 days tho).
If you can afford it I'd go with Newport, that's prime real estate right there.
Old 10-15-06, 01:34 AM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

in the irvine/newport area youll never find bang for the buck in terms of square footage for the price. houses in those 2 areas are overly inflated due to the demographics and beach fronts. however its a clean area and really safe. but if i wanted my moneys worth and still wanted to stay in the oc then i to the outskirts of the oc. in terms of public schooling you can get wrong with either the newport or irvine districts.
Old 10-15-06, 08:47 AM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

Hi! I work for a new home builder in Irvine. If you are interested in something brand new, PM me. You can find good deals on new homes now since builders are offering incentives. You can't go wrong with Irvine.....good school district and a very safe city to live. Newport is great too, but more pricey.

Last edited by Cali_Girl; 10-15-06 at 08:47 AM. Reason: error
Old 10-15-06, 09:57 AM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

Default Hahaha

i grew up in irvine/newport check out costa mesa you'll liek that area best bang for buck costa mesa high school is nice as well. btw irvine isn't that great its all smoke and mirrors. there just rich crack heads instead of the poor ones everyone is use to. and if u drive a fixed up car.... be prepared for tickets.
Old 10-15-06, 09:58 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

look for a house that was built in the 80's or so because those usually come with a good piece of land (for your children to play on). With brand new homes these days, you'll be lucky if you got a space to walk between you and your neighbor.
Old 10-15-06, 11:57 AM
Vertex GS3
Pole Position

well i work for a mortgage broker so if you need financing in the near future for your home PM me and i will help you the best of my abilities
Old 10-15-06, 12:56 PM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing with the Irvine area, especially by University High School is the college. There are too many college students living in the surrounding area and the comment about modified cars and tickets, I second that. The local police have been like that for a while.
Old 10-15-06, 01:47 PM
cocopops
Pole Position

If I have a choice, I would probably choose Newport beach instead of Irvine. Both areas seem to be overpriced as well..well almost every So-cal market is like that anyway. With the slowing down of the real estate market, now maybe a good time. On a side note, I know of someone who just moved into Newport beach from Irvine and he said NB is a better neighborhood. Though he is married with no kids, so he doesn't really fit your profile.
Old 10-15-06, 09:49 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

See your private message.
Old 10-16-06, 07:08 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Location, location, location...

Newport Beach > Irvine.
Old 10-16-06, 09:46 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
Ah I see you made it here, welcome to sunny SoCal (except for last 2 days tho).
If you can afford it I'd go with Newport, that's prime real estate right there.
Hi Asiangirl007, always good hearing from you and thanks again for your warm welcome. You are right Newport is prime real estate now still even when the bubble seems to be deflating, it still can hold it's own for the time being.
Old 10-16-06, 09:48 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cali_Girl
Hi! I work for a new home builder in Irvine. If you are interested in something brand new, PM me. You can find good deals on new homes now since builders are offering incentives. You can't go wrong with Irvine.....good school district and a very safe city to live. Newport is great too, but more pricey.
Thanks for the offer. We were looking into the new developments in Newport and completion would be by the middle to end of next year which my wife doesn't want to wait for (since the twins are the way), so we are currently looking for resales housing.

By the way the new developments are in Irvine, are in Turtle Rock / Ridge, Shady Canyon?
Old 10-16-06, 09:50 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cali_Girl
See your private message.
I checked, no Private Message. Please send again.
Old 10-16-06, 09:50 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Newport Beach > Irvine.
Hey PhilipMSPT, thanks for the feedback, any further details on why you think this way?

Quick Reply: Live in Newport Beach or Irvine?