CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Griffith Observatory reopens Nov 3!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-06, 01:03 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet, it looks like a must-visit location. I've never been there.

Due to pent-up demand, it sounds like they are using a similar reservation system like the Getty Center used to use to control how many people can visit at any one time.
Old 11-04-06, 11:59 AM
uncle_el
Pole Position

glad to see it's reopened.

as far as parking goes:
http://www.lacity.org/rap/observatory/vshuttle.html

3) A limited number of timed-entry reservations will be made available free of charge 48 hours in advance of the day planned for visiting. Parking for those with free reservations will be at the Greek Theatre. A special shuttle will run from the Greek Theatre to the Observatory. ONLY those with free timed-entry reservations will be able to board this shuttle; those with reservations for parking at Hollywood & Highland or the Los Angeles Zoo may NOT park at the Greek and ride this shuttle.

While these free, 48-hour-advance reservations are available to anyone, they are especially designed to accommodate those wishing to hike or cycle to the Observatory. Like all visitors, hikers and cyclists need a timed-entry reservation to enter the Observatory building and grounds. They should park at the Greek Theatre or anywhere else in Griffith Park to start their hike or ride.

Each visitor will need to have a printed reservation, including those whose reservations are free. ALL visitors to the Observatory and its adjacent grounds will need to have their printed reservation with them; it will be scanned upon entry for authenticity. The entry date and time on the reservation will be strictly enforced; PLEASE visit only at the time indicated on your reservation form. Please do not make copies of the reservation; only the first reservation scanned will be admitted and any duplicates will be rejected.

The temporary visitor access program includes a significant advertising campaign that is already underway throughout the Southland to inform potential visitors that now they must plan their visit in advance because entrance to the Observatory will be "By Reservation Only." Those who attempt to drive to the Observatory will be turned away.
Old 11-04-06, 07:55 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

It's one of the good things about living in LA, a definate must see especially since you're from the east coast!

I noticed a lot of huge 18 wheelers coming out of the hills late at night this whole week. Looks like they're crunching to get ready. I also saw the shuttle parking at the Zoo. If any of you are going I would recommend Zoo shuttle ovr Highland one as Zoo is wide open parking, but Highland is a traffic nightmare with all the tourists. I avoid that area at all times.

Originally Posted by ShadyJC
Sweet, it looks like a must-visit location. I've never been there.

Due to pent-up demand, it sounds like they are using a similar reservation system like the Getty Center used to use to control how many people can visit at any one time.
Old 11-04-06, 08:30 PM
IS250HuNnY
Lead Lap

yay! last time i went there i was in 5th grade.. maybe i should pay it a visit
Old 11-05-06, 12:21 AM
GReddySetG
Pole Position

I can't wait to go