CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Sadden by James Kim's death

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-06, 03:14 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sadden by James Kim's death

I was at lunch and saw the breaking news on TV. Man I feel so sad for the family. This is supposed to be the most joyous part of the year and now this tragedy happens, and it breaks my heart. Now the kids will grow up correlating Thanksgiving/Christmas with Dad's death.

Did James Kim have a segment on TechTV with Leo Laport? He looks familiar. Anyway.... Just want to express my sadness and hope that the family gets through this ordeal ok.
Old 12-06-06, 03:33 PM
jdmdaddy
Lead Lap

I was watching the breaking news on the recent discovery..very sad. My prayers are with his family for sure.
Rest in peace.
-Craig
Old 12-06-06, 03:53 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Very sad. To sacrifice his life for his family, a man of all men. My sympathies and prayers go out to his family and friends.
A very well liked person that loved his job and did it well-from TechTV to CNet.
Old 12-06-06, 05:18 PM
GReddySetG
Pole Position

Yeah, I heard the breaking news during lunch, so sad He only left to get help for his family, and his family gets rescued while he is lost in the snow. What a tragic story...
Old 12-07-06, 09:37 AM
benxd
Lead Lap

Such a sad thing.

Last edited by benxd; 12-07-06 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-07-06, 12:46 PM
Luv Da Lex
Lexus Test Driver

they said it was his footprints that lead rescuers to his family. i was watching the press conference and one of the person in charge of the search actually broke down while on the mic. truly a hero.
Old 12-07-06, 02:32 PM
chanh55
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow... that's really sad...

Full story from the AP... Best wishes to his wife and kids...

James Kim died of exposure, hypothermia

By JEFF BARNARD, Associated Press Writer

Thursday, December 7, 2006 01 25 PM

* Printable Version
* Email This Article

(12-07) 13:25 PST Central Point, Ore. (AP) --

The San Francisco man who died in the mountains of Southern Oregon after leaving his family to seek help succumbed to hypothermia, and his body was found in a creek's shallow water, authorities said Thursday.

Lt. Gregg Hastings of the Oregon State Police said James Kim, 35, was found, fully clothed, on his back in Big Windy Creek near the Rogue River.

After leaving his stranded family, he walked more than 10 miles over rugged terrain looking for help, but his body was found only about a mile from his family car, Hastings said.

Dr. James Olson, a deputy state medical examiner, conducted the autopsy Thursday morning and was unable to determine the exact time of death, Hastings said at a press conference.

A search helicopter hired by the his family spotted Kim's body at midday Wednesday, two days after his wife and two daughters were rescued from their vehicle, stuck on a remote road.

Searchers had been scouring the mountains of rugged Southern Oregon for more than a week.

Hastings, the State Police spokesman, said Kim didn't make a bad decision when he left the family hoping to find a road to the nearby town of Galice and possibly a motorist, or to get to the Rogue River.

Kim thought the town was only 4 miles distant, although it was really 15 miles away, Hastings said.

"James Kim did nothing wrong. He was trying to save his family," Hastings said.

"He thought that if he could get to the river, he could make it to the town," he said.

Kim was a senior editor for the technology media company CNET Networks Inc. He and his family had been missing since Nov. 25. They were heading home to San Francisco after a family vacation in the Pacific Northwest.

Kim's wife, Kati, 30, and their daughters Penelope, 4, and Sabine, 7 months, were rescued Monday as they were leaving their car to find help themselves. She told officers that the couple made a wrong turn and became stuck in the snow.

Hastings said Kati told officers it snowed hard several days while the family was stuck, and the family heard helicopters at least twice.

"Kati and the kids are in good condition as it relates to the ordeal that they've been through," he said.
Old 12-07-06, 02:35 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

Old 12-07-06, 02:55 PM
XtrabOoSt
Lexus Test Driver

That's A Man I Respect! My Prayers Go Out To The Family..*
Old 12-07-06, 04:15 PM
chanh55
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow.... if he went east of the car instead of west he might've found help... Poor guy...
Old 12-07-06, 04:37 PM
cocopops
Pole Position

yup.. he is the guy on TechTV. Really liked his reviews on the gadgets. Didn't know he moved on to cNet. May God be with his family through this hard time.
Old 12-07-06, 10:50 PM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

really sad about this... sucks... hes a brave father... my respects
Old 12-07-06, 11:10 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Looking at that map... wonder if he was trying to get back to his family...

This post made me go look at at my sleeping daughters once more...
Something like this should never happen but I hope I could do the same for them...
Old 12-08-06, 11:16 AM
swifty562
Lead Lap

this is very sad... I look up to james kim. expecially when he wrote reviews on kool gaugets. He was a brave man to walk over 10miles to look for help trying to save his family. When i look at the picture i wonder why he had only gone around in circle. the search team said that he follow the river thinking he could get back and find help. and oddly enough he was found only 1mile parallel to where he started. why? We all question Why? It could be that something is telling him to go back to his family. but whatever it is... he took his life in hopes to find help for those he loved.

R.I.P
James Kim
1971-2006
Old 12-09-06, 05:28 AM
Tony95sc4
Banned scammer

yea i only look for him when im about to buy a gadget!!

Quick Reply: Sadden by James Kim's death