CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Got a ticket =/

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-06, 10:20 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a ticket =/

So i just got busted on the 52 in san diego going 94...
I believe this is my first ticket in the past 2-3 years, can anyone tell me what the implications are? Can I do the traffic school thing again?

thanks
henry
Old 12-14-06, 10:50 PM
Luv Da Lex
Lexus Test Driver

i think if its more than 10mph over the speed limit you might not be able to. but its up to the judge i guess. im not sure.
Old 12-15-06, 12:08 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i don't see why you can't go to traffic school for it. it's a traffic citation, not a felony offense.
Old 12-15-06, 12:26 AM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

over 18 month you could
Old 12-15-06, 12:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

speed limit there 65? if so anything under 100 you can go to traffic school
Old 12-15-06, 08:29 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

thanks guys
and it's 18 months between tickets? I should be safe then...
any idea how much the fine will be?
Old 12-15-06, 09:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yes it's 18 months between traffic school

not sure if it differs from county to county, but i was caught 93 in 65, came out to be around 300 bucks, but since i was there to admit guilt, it was lowered to 150 + traffic school
Old 12-15-06, 09:49 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

Can you explain how the court thing works? Last time I just mailed them a check and a copy of the online traffic school that I did and that was it.

I can get the fine lowered if i go into court that day?

Henry
Old 12-15-06, 10:24 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jewel
Can you explain how the court thing works? Last time I just mailed them a check and a copy of the online traffic school that I did and that was it.

I can get the fine lowered if i go into court that day?

Henry
I have gotten 2 traffic tickets in my life so far *knock on wood*. Here's what happened:

1994: One my way to start 2nd year of college. Los Angeles County is where I got caught @74 mph (speed limit 55). Not qualified for traffic school because over 10 mph over limit. Only choice: take a chance and show up to court. Cop didn't show up....entire ticket dismissed.

1995: One my way to san diego from LA. OC is where i got caught @74 mph on fast lane (speed limit 65). Went to traffic school. Ticket was $150 and traffic school was $70.

I guess the system is probably more lenient now. Laws have changed in the last 10 years, but I can't imagine it being TOTALLY different in the same county. Be careful if you are young and drive a fast car. There is a reason why your insurance is so high.... Cops like to profile you.
Old 12-15-06, 10:51 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

Yea, i got that feeling last night. Here's what happened:

I was driving westbound going down to the beach at like 9pm, i saw blue and red lights flashing going eastbound, and i thought, sucks for them... i immediately slowed down cause i know i was going at least 80 (my spedometer was orange). There's no way that i was going 93 because my spedometer would be red...

I told my bro and cuz (who were in the car) that i thought that i was gonna get pulled over but that i realized he was going the other way

2-3 minutes later i notice lights flashing right behind me, at this point i know for a fact i was doing only around 80 still fast but with the flow of traffic...

he came up to the window, and told me i was going 93. he estimated me at 90 and then used the gun on me and saw 93... i shoulda asked to look at the gun =/
so yea, no chance to explain or anything

i'll go to court, hope he doesnt show, if he did, then i can tell the judge about the colored rings and cross my fingers for traffic school and a low fine :X

i know i was speeding... but definitely not 93 =/
Old 12-15-06, 11:14 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i thought the rings turn red when you hit 100+
Old 12-15-06, 01:59 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jewel

i'll go to court, hope he doesnt show, if he did, then i can tell the judge about the colored rings and cross my fingers for traffic school and a low fine :X

i know i was speeding... but definitely not 93 =/
whatever the colored ring says, it'll be your words against the cop's. Guess who will win? Basically, if the cop shows up, you're toast. But the probability of him showing up, however, depends on day and time of the week the court session takes place. I think for the most part, you should be fine....cops hate going in there too. Whatever the result is, please learn from it.
Old 12-15-06, 02:47 PM
cocopops
Pole Position

I had a ticket going close to 80 on 65. Ticket got reduced to 140 and traffic school. Be sincere with the judge, I dont think they would want to be an a ***** if they don't have to.
Old 12-15-06, 09:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

other counties i am not sure, but the place where i got my ticket, basically they mail you the ticket stating the violations and the fine. you just call the clerk and say you want to schedule to see the judge

on the day you go there and when he asks whether you plead guilty or not, you do that and he will lower your fine. that happened to everyone in that room
Old 12-15-06, 10:35 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I got my last ticket (circa 1998) going 75** on I-10 through Beaumont (L.A. to Palm Springs), I gave up my right for traffic school and requested a court hearing. During that process, I requested and was granted a court appearance outside the Riverside jurisdiction (I asked for a continuation in Ventura County as I lived in the west San Fernando Valley at the time). Assuming the cop lived in Riverside, I was betting he wouldn't drive 3+ hrs to Ventura for the court appearance. I was there, he was not = case dismissed. I don't know if the courts still allow hearings held in other counties. But if they do,...

** BTW, if he did show up, I would have plead no contest. I was doing 95 as the cop graciously wrote me up doing 75 so I could do traffic school if desired. The laws may have changed. But back then if you were written for going over 80, the courts saw that as an exhibition of speed and did not allow the option of traffic school. It was either pay the fine or do the time.

Last edited by Bushwack; 12-15-06 at 10:36 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Got a ticket =/