CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

103 mph Speeding Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-07, 08:18 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell your friend to bend-over, grab his ankles and empty his wallet.
Old 01-12-07, 09:17 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm happy they are spending our money to develop more powerful lasers to help tag and stop speeders....rather than use that money to protect people....* notice the sarcasm.
Old 01-12-07, 09:22 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jewcano
I'm happy they are spending our money to develop more powerful lasers to help tag and stop speeders....rather than use that money to protect people....* notice the sarcasm.
Protecting people doesnt make them money. Each of these laser guns would produce far more than their initial cost of $4,000 each.
Old 01-12-07, 10:06 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I got a ticket for 130mph+ a great many years back in a Porsche. I kept the car, kept my license and had it knocked down to an infraction. My first offense so the judge went light. If this is his first then odds are it will get knocked down and he will get the TS option.
Old 01-12-07, 10:08 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

um...protecting people from dangerous drivers you mean?
Old 01-13-07, 12:25 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Check this link out, it was posted in another car forum. basically how your friend was caught IS NOT LEGAL. Go research before you just roll over and take it.

http://video.nbc4.tv/player.html?dlid=47698

NOTE: In CA, it is ILLEGAL for the arresting officer to be OTHER THAN the one who clocks you - no matter WHAT method they use (LIDAR, Radar or tracking). That is considered a speed trap and is not admissible in court. They get away with it because few people ever challenge it. What they were showing on the video could be tossed out for that reason alone. The guy with the LIDAR was NOT the one issuing the ticket!
Old 01-13-07, 12:34 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by rominl
could be, not will be. it all depends on the judge. supposedly you can't go to traffic school as well, but i guess judge can make the car. honestly for over 100mph, i might get a lawyer to make sure things are done right

and i am kind of surprised about the law for OC, kind of doubt that anything over 65mph and you can't go to traffic school. doesn't make sense
It could be a misdemeanor, I'd get a lawyer like rominl said - better to be safe than sorry and better than getting a suspended license.
Old 01-13-07, 01:48 AM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
Check this link out, it was posted in another car forum. basically how your friend was caught IS NOT LEGAL. Go research before you just roll over and take it.

NOTE: In CA, it is ILLEGAL for the arresting officer to be OTHER THAN the one who clocks you - no matter WHAT method they use (LIDAR, Radar or tracking). That is considered a speed trap and is not admissible in court. They get away with it because few people ever challenge it. What they were showing on the video could be tossed out for that reason alone. The guy with the LIDAR was NOT the one issuing the ticket!
So if you are speeding and the police officer's car for some reason stalls or breaks down or crashes while pursuiting you, he can't call backup to go get you? Seems unlikely to me
Old 01-13-07, 02:03 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1

Maybe cop 1 on the overpass radios cop 2 to let him know someone is speeding his way and then cop 2 radars the car as it passes by. Therefore cop 2 is the one clocking the speed and also issues the ticket/arrest.
Old 01-13-07, 03:39 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Hey guys, last night my buddy got nailed by CHP for speeding in Mission Viejo of the 5 South. They were on the overpass tagging oncoming traffic and they relayed a car ahead to pursue and pulled us over at an offramp. He got written up for "approximately 103 mph" on the ticket.

Do you guys kno what the penalties are and what are his best options?
Does the ticket say radar/lidar? If so, was there more than one chp on the ticket? Doesn't sound like you guys were paced.
Old 01-13-07, 11:56 AM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

A few things... First, what they're doing is abolutely legal. Second, both officers will need to show up for court. The first will need to identify the car and the speed, the second will need to identify you as the driver. Without both bits of testimony, there is no case.

While jamming laser is illegal in CA, I personally tested the Blinder laser jammer and it is an incredible product. You can always turn the device off after being hit (and you've slowed down) and then let the cop get a reading on the second trigger pull. Here's my info from the test..

http://www.blinder.dk/uk/laserjammer.htm
Old 01-13-07, 12:54 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AM1

Yea you go tell them that when you get a LIDAR ticket. It's 100% legal.
Old 01-13-07, 01:24 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ntran18
Does the ticket say radar/lidar? If so, was there more than one chp on the ticket? Doesn't sound like you guys were paced.
For sure we werent paced. It was totally clear behind us for miles. Usually rookies get ticketed via pacing
Old 01-13-07, 02:00 PM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

Get a lawyer... at over 99+ mph, it's going to be pretty hefty fine, and most likely community service. You'll need help reducing some of those damages.
Old 01-14-07, 01:46 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

anyways like i said b4 i got this from another forum i go on. everything was posted including the link by someone else. Im going to investigate this a bit more myself.

Quick Reply: 103 mph Speeding Ticket