CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

103 mph speeding ticket update!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-07, 09:59 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry to hear that man. but we all know the risks involved with going fast it's a numbers game - some will get caught, some won't.

reminds me of when i was doing 105 in a 55 back in 2000 - got caught by a motorcycle cop who was weaving through traffic to catch up with me. car got towed to an impound lot, i got chauffered to the local police station where I stayed behind bars for a good 7 hours. met with a judge a week later and he gave me traffic school as a birthday gift. That reminds me, I should probably send him a "thank you" card.

I agree with RandH - I don't think you'll go to jail for a year. This is a relatively minor issue compared to the bigger problems the court sees everyday. I wouldn't be surprised if they give you the $1k fine since the court may want to make an example out of you. The suspension of the license MAAAAAAAY happen but I bet it depends on how you react in the court room.

If you go in there mouthing off with blatant disregard for the law, they'll have no qualms in putting you in your place. At home w/o a license. If you go in there and they can see that you're a responsible citizen who just happened to be out for some spirited driving - they may be a little more lenient.

Your best bet is to show up in decent clothes, speak clearly, smile, and be on your best behavior when you're in front of that judge. He's gonna have the last word on what happens to you so be nice.

c.
Old 02-01-07, 09:59 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Even if you get sentenced to jail they'll "kick" you when you report- worst-case scenario, you'll do some community service (CalTrans), which will suck... but you won't be in jail.

I have a close friend who has had licensing problems for years and was sentenced to 14 days for his THIRD driving on suspended. He reported and was kicked... did 14 days community service instead (he had six months to complete this).

As far as the fine... I'd be interested to hear. My guess is $1200.
Old 02-01-07, 11:54 PM
SC300TT!
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two speeding tickets...both for driving 75mph on the freeway by CHP.
Some say I'm unlucky...I guess it could have been worse.
Old 02-02-07, 12:11 AM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was caught doing 103 back in Aug of '06 on the 5 fwy. Luckily the cop wrote down 82 since my record was clean. I tried going to the court in Laguna to see if the judge will lower my fine but he was a strict, no BS type of guy. Just asked if I agree to pay the fine on my ticket, I said yes and I was out of his courtroom in 2 secs.

On a 2nd related note, my friend got caught doing 100+ in Kings County (Grapevine area) during her drive from OC to SF 2 years ago. End result was that she paid nearly $1200 in fines, license was suspended for 2 months and a jacked up insurance rate that was in effect for what seems like foreverrrrrr! What sucked was that she's a pharmacist so not being able to work meant a significant loss in income. She ended up paying a neighbor to drive her to work for 2 months. Oh yea, this was her 1st ticket ever and this was what she ended up with. How crazy is that?!

If you have the money, I'd suggest you get a lawyer to help you fight it. If not, good luck w/ur ticket & keep us updated on what happens.
Old 02-02-07, 08:57 AM
GETDOWN!!!
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Yeah. You Probably Got Popped At The Same Spot I Did. Right Before Oso Prky. There Is A Bunch Of Over Passes Right On That Strectch Of The 5. The Chp Just Sits Up There And Guns You Then Notifies A Patrol Car A Mile Ahead That Your Comin. Then He Tags You And Your Screwed. Thats What Happened To Me. We Were Checking All The Off And On Raps. Nobody Was Around. There Was No Other Way We Could Of Gotten Caught. And No, The Chp Wasnt Trailing Us With His Lights Off. If That Were The Case He Would Of Pulled Me Over Earlier And Not Have Paced Me At 103. We Almost Got Away. We Were Like 50 Feet From Turning Onto Crown Valley When The Chp Comes Flying Around The Corner At 110 With His Lights On To Not Let Me Get Away. He Went A Whole Mile With His Lights On. And The Damn Chp Didnt Even Right Down The Corrcet Position. Dumbass. He Wrote Oso Pwky But We Got Pulled Over At The Crown Valley Exit. I Guess Oso Was When He Clocked Me. Took Him 2 Exits To Catch Me. Lol.

He Wasnt A **** Really. He Didnt Say One Word About Alcohol. He Was All Over The Drugs And Weed ****. Ive Never Smoked In My Life And Never Will. But He Just Kept Slammin Me With The Drugs Crap. It Pissed Me Off. But I Cant Do Anything About It. And Im Not Going To Get A Laywer But I Appreciate The Thoughts And Suggestions. There Is Nothing A Lawyer Can Do For Me. Theres No Excuse For Going As Fast As I Was. I Was Doin 120 But Slowed Down. I Just Got To Kiss As Much *** As Possible And Admit I Was Young And Dumb And Learned From It. A Lawyer Will Just Cost Me More Money. If I Was A Judge And Saw Some Kid Coming Into My Court With A Lawyer For A Reckless Driving Ticket I Would Be Pissed. Honnesty Is The Best Policy Remember?

The Best Part About This Is My Court Date Is Set For 3-12-07. Yes, I Am Going To Ask For An Extension. Which Is 45 Days. So I Got Til Late April To Take Care Of This. The Extension Helps Cause If I Was To Get My Liscence Suspended, I Now Have Another 45 Days Of It Being Valid Till It Gets Taken. All Technicalities. But I Will Be Sure To Keep Everybody Up To Date On My Situation. Thanks For The Support.

General Getdown 2007
Old 02-02-07, 12:01 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

You're dead on about the area that I got the ticket. That stretch of fwy on the 5 South (El Toro Rd to Avery Pkwy), there's a buttload of CHP's lurking everywhere. I used to live 2 minutes off of Avery Pkwy and I was about to exit when I got pulled over. The cop said that he had been pacing me right around Crown Valley Pkwy.

For anyone traveling around or near that area, SLOW down, especially late at nite when you think no one's around so you drive like a mad man. I got my ticket at 3am so yes, the stupid cops are still patrolling even that late at nite!
Old 02-05-07, 01:02 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
You're dead on about the area that I got the ticket. That stretch of fwy on the 5 South (El Toro Rd to Avery Pkwy), there's a buttload of CHP's lurking everywhere. I used to live 2 minutes off of Avery Pkwy and I was about to exit when I got pulled over. The cop said that he had been pacing me right around Crown Valley Pkwy.

For anyone traveling around or near that area, SLOW down, especially late at nite when you think no one's around so you drive like a mad man. I got my ticket at 3am so yes, the stupid cops are still patrolling even that late at nite!
We should totally draw up a map on where CHP lurks on the I5.
Old 02-06-07, 12:19 PM
GETDOWN!!!
Driver School Candidate

the map idea is a great idea. ill try to put one up as soon as i get time. they camp out on the I-5. if you are going south on the 5 or transfering onto the 5 from the 405, right when you hit LAKE FORREST DR. SLOW DOWN!!! that is where all of the over passes are from there all the way to CROWN VALLEY PKWY. that whole stretch of freeway is littered with over passes. the CHP just sits up there late at night as they tags speeders with their laser guns. then they radio ahead to another CHP thats waiting for you a mile ahead. they give the description and then they tag you and your done. pretty slick by the CHP but it is some shady stuff as well. from my experience, when you see a over pass, slow down cause you dont know who is up there.

in other news, i am not allowed an extension on my ticket because apparently if you have a "mandatory apperance", which i do, you are not eligeble for one. so now i have to report before 3-12-07. its an infraction so i dotn think they can suspend my liscence. on the court website it wasnt listed as an option. hmmmm?

GENERAL GETDOWN 2007
Old 02-07-07, 12:24 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

yea thats true about the cops hiding by overpasses and such. makes it harder for you spot them. i got pulled over late at night around the 5/57 interchange. cop let me go though. i think tickets and fines are all luck and dirving. i got caught racing someone on a surface street and got caught going 95 or so in a 40 at 1 am at night. the police gave me a warning and let me go. Go to court and ask them for traffic school. Also community service depends on what you do for a living and your education level.
Old 02-07-07, 01:19 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Get a lawyer... If you get one that knows what he's doing, you'll never have to step foot in the court house (not even on your report date) and get the charges reduced to an infraction. You'll be out of pocket some $$$ for the fines and lawyer fees, but that's better than the inconvenience of going to court and having a criminal mark on your record.
Old 02-15-07, 06:20 PM
misterbear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GETDOWN!!!
the map idea is a great idea. ill try to put one up as soon as i get time. they camp out on the I-5. if you are going south on the 5 or transfering onto the 5 from the 405, right when you hit LAKE FORREST DR. SLOW DOWN!!! that is where all of the over passes are from there all the way to CROWN VALLEY PKWY. that whole stretch of freeway is littered with over passes. the CHP just sits up there late at night as they tags speeders with their laser guns. then they radio ahead to another CHP thats waiting for you a mile ahead. they give the description and then they tag you and your done. pretty slick by the CHP but it is some shady stuff as well. from my experience, when you see a over pass, slow down cause you dont know who is up there.

GENERAL GETDOWN 2007
First thing I would recommend is to get a lawyer. If that is not an option or you are starved for cash, you might want to check out ticketassassin.com. ($35 bucks membership for 1 year) - this is assuming you can do a trial by declaration - should be if it is just marked as an infraction. Don't quote me on this though.

My co-worker was hit for a 100+ mile ticket by the CHP on the way back from Vegas more than a year ago. I was already a member of ticketassassin (at the time) so I had some access to some Trial by Declaration written statement templates. Your 100+ mile case is a major infraction - but I pieced together some written statement about how all the inconsistencies that radar detection is faulty (there are a lot of arguments, if the officer failed to fill out his form correctly, etc...).

My co-worker successfully requested an extension. Near the end of that extension, I told him to submit a request for a Trial by declaration. After one week, he gets back the necessary documents for the Trial by Declaration. You get about 1 month to fill that out and submit your written statement. Then the cop gets about 1 month after that to submit his. If he doesn't submit his, you should be scot free. 30% of all cases are dismissed because the officer is too lazy to do this. If he submits his, the judge will look at each party's written statement and makes a ruling (if the judge is fair you might have a chance to still get off, but not likely).

If the trial by declaration fails, you can still request a trial di novo - basically a trial where you show up in court to defend against the officer. I suppose this is where you probably should have your lawyer. Again, if the officer fails to show up, you are off scot free. If he does, well, your lawyer better be good. Some people try to defend themselves on their own, but usually if the officer shows up, they are as good as guilty. Even if you are found guilty at this point, you/your lawyer can request for a reduction in penalty (I think).

Hope this helps. Oh yeah, for my co-worker, somehow my legal arguments won his case (it was marked the judgement was in his favor). I'm not a lawyer now, but I'll probably go to law school soon - haha. My guess is that the case was actually dismissed - not won - because I estimate that with extension and such, the "Trial by Declaration" took place probably 5 months after he got caught speeding. The officer probably forgot about the case.

Last edited by misterbear; 02-15-07 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-15-07, 06:26 PM
misterbear
Driver School Candidate

Ok, places where to slow down.

I frequently drive from OC to SD and back for business. These are some key places to slow down or be careful on the 5 (South and North). I'll list from OC to SD.

Mission Viejo (around Crown Valley Pkwy - your place)

San Juan Capistrano (around the car dealers, Avenida de something, the very hilly place)

San Onofre (the Twin Titty Nuclear Power Plant) Checkpoint where Immigration officers are

Del Mar (near the racetrack, the 5 and 56 interchange)
Old 02-15-07, 10:04 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

just dont get a ticket in Orange county. they dont accept video or internet traffic courses.
Old 02-21-07, 09:16 AM
GETDOWN!!!
Driver School Candidate

Smile

ok guys. i went to the night court session down at the laguna niguel superior court. it was soooo packed it was rediculous. but i eventually get into the courtroom and have to take a seat and wait for my name to be called. i didnt know that it was going to be a public hearing. lol. there was 100+ people in there. i thought it was gonna be like a 1 on 1 with the judge but oh well. as im listening to all of the cases before me i think to myself, wtf this jusged is super chill. some lady had $800 in fines and she asked the court for mercy and a reduction. the judge asks why is that. i couldnt belive what the lady said, but she replied saying "um, because you are a nice guy". everybody was laughing so hard. and then the judge gives her a $200 break. im like wtf, just for some stupid stunt. jeez.

so now im standing up there. he asks me if i am who i am and i say yes. he pulls up my ticket in the computer and reads it aloud. "you were caught doing 103 mph in a 65 zone back on january 12th, is that correct?" everybody waiting their turn in the room just ooooooohed and awwwed at what a crime i did. i said, "yes sir." the judge says, "how would you like to plead?" i reply, "guilty your honor." he says, " ok then. well im not gonna suspend your liscence becasue you have a clean record. BUT i am going to give you a $411 fine. i would give you traffic school but you are not applicable because you were doing 100+. is that ok?" i say, yes and they send me to the lobby to pay. it was all over a period of 30 seconds. really quick. the funny part was when he was looking up my fine, he said he had to go get another book becasue my ticket was so outrageous. he pulls out some book with dust on it and blows it off. everybody was cracking up. it was pretty funny.

overall, it was a good experience. it could of been so much worse. i think a $411 fine and 2 points on my record are very lienant for what i did. im just glad i didnt get my liscence suspended. thank god this is now behind me and good that i didnt wait till my due date cause i might not of gotten such a good judge.

now that this is taken car of, i can start my hunt for my sec gen GS 400. this ticket was holding my future back and im glad it turned out in my favor. thank you everybody for the support and advice you guys shared with me. i appreciate it very much.

GENERAL GETDOWN 2007
Old 02-21-07, 09:54 AM
Jay
Lexus Champion

Congratulations homie !! (well, you know what I mean)....lol.

Just drive carefully and here comes GS !!!

Quick Reply: 103 mph speeding ticket update!