CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

103 mph speeding ticket update!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-07, 04:10 PM
GETDOWN!!!
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 103 mph speeding ticket update!

well....i just got off the phone with the superior court. my ticket is now a criminal case cause it was in excess of over 100 miles. i got ticketed for 103. just 3 miles over. what a *****. no i am ordered to make a mandatory apperance down at the laguna hills superior court house at 8:00am. the judge will decide my fate. there is no set punishment. i could be fined up to $1,000 and or a suspension of my liscence and or up to a year in jail. thats what they told me. those are the maximums. pretty steep if you ask me. i have till 3-12-07 to report.

GENERAL GETDOWN 2007
Old 01-31-07, 04:22 PM
Jblaze2
Pole Position

That sucks man. Usually if you ask, cops write you for 99mph if you're going over 100mph.

I really doubt you have to worry about jail, but I think it's safe to expect a hefty fine and license suspension. Oh well, lesson learned.
Old 01-31-07, 05:46 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get a lawyer if that's the case. Couldn't hurt right?
Old 01-31-07, 05:52 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
I would get a lawyer if that's the case. Couldn't hurt right?
Especially if you have a professional license. Some professions will suspend your work license because it's a criminal case.

EVERYONE: BEWARE!!!

Driving over 100 mph is now a criminal offense in California!!! Lots of people think it's only a fine; you now can lose your driver's license and sometimes have your car impounded!!!
Old 01-31-07, 07:17 PM
Jay
Lexus Champion

Pm'd you !!

JAY
Old 01-31-07, 09:28 PM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

Wow that some stiff shizz.
Old 01-31-07, 10:48 PM
uncle_el
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Especially if you have a professional license. Some professions will suspend your work license because it's a criminal case.
x 2. in some cases, if you're in process for applying for a license, you may be denied until the matter is resolved.
Old 02-01-07, 02:37 AM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh man.. good luck with the ticket, hope all goes well.
Old 02-01-07, 06:57 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

They are just scaring you. It your record is clean, never been in jail, no tickets in a few years. All they gonna do is give you a hafty fine and send you on your way. No jail time, no license suspension, etc.

US needs to increase there speed limit. I'm from Germany and 100mph is like going 60mph over there. Its just cruising speed. America needs to educate their drivers more not give out criminal hafty fines for speeding. Its just an excuse to make $$$.
Old 02-01-07, 07:13 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
US needs to increase there speed limit. I'm from Germany and 100mph is like going 60mph over there. Its just cruising speed. America needs to educate their drivers more not give out criminal hafty fines for speeding. Its just an excuse to make $$$.
Unfortunately, Americans don't think and act like Europeans. It's all about who's first and who's better and who's faster and who's got a better lawyer. And money talks here in the U.S.

Fines educate people more than education itself when money talks...

I wish we could further increase our speed limit, but that means that there is always going to be someone that needs to be faster than you to prove that they are "better" and "first". Also, that means that our insurance premiums will most likely skyrocket.
Old 02-01-07, 08:06 AM
rsa supra
Pole Position

That sucks...

Call this guy:

John Farris
Traffic Ticket Attorneys
1540 E 1st St # 260
Santa Ana, CA 92701
714-543-8885
Old 02-01-07, 08:10 AM
TheSyndica
Driver

It can also depend on the time, location, and the traffic flow. Good luck bro.
Old 02-01-07, 08:21 AM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

Most likely no jail time if you have a clean record, and will include some sort of community service (Picking up debris on the side of the freeway, clearing brush, cleaning parks, etc).

In regards to the 3+ over miles per hour, most likely you went even higher than that... the CHP gives drivers about 7-8 miles above the speed allowance. That is why when you get a ticket for going over a certain speed, even though you should have gotten a ticket for 80mph, they would write on the ticket something like 70-72mph. So somehow you got caught going well over 103mph... and I'm sure with something like that, the police will have some sort of proof (Helicoptor tracking, laser, or simply the police had to exceed 100 just to catch up to you).
Old 02-01-07, 09:01 AM
Corsa999
Driver School Candidate

I agree with the suggestion of the U.S. raising the speed limit because the majority of drivers already exceed the speed limit on all highways. I can speak from personal experience and attest that hefty cash fines can have an impact on a driver's habits. Until about a year ago I had only one $50 speeding ticket on my record which I recieved when I was 17 years old. For 10 years I did not recieve another speeding ticket. I was pulled over several times for many different infractions, including speeding, but was never given a ticket. About a year ago I got pulled over in a construction zone going about 75 in a 55...that ticket was a few hundred dollars. Exactly one month later I got nailed on the Mass Pike. The state trooper wrote on the ticket that I was going 95+ in a 45 mph zone...that ticket was for $450. I ended up being found "not responsible" in both cases but can tell you that I never want to have to deal with those situations again and have adjusted my driving style as a result. My experience is that the cost of paying the tickets themselves, the increase in auto insurance premiums and having to go to a courthouse will make you think twice about speeding again. Good luck to the original poster.
Old 02-01-07, 09:07 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OutlawsX
Most likely no jail time if you have a clean record, and will include some sort of community service (Picking up debris on the side of the freeway, clearing brush, cleaning parks, etc).

In regards to the 3+ over miles per hour, most likely you went even higher than that... the CHP gives drivers about 7-8 miles above the speed allowance. That is why when you get a ticket for going over a certain speed, even though you should have gotten a ticket for 80mph, they would write on the ticket something like 70-72mph. So somehow you got caught going well over 103mph... and I'm sure with something like that, the police will have some sort of proof (Helicoptor tracking, laser, or simply the police had to exceed 100 just to catch up to you).
i've always heard the opposite, where they say you're going faster than you really are, which is why people get annoyed and try to fight the ticket. my one and only speeding ticket was for going 40 in a 25, and I know for a fact i never broke 35. i had just gotten my license and i was 16/17 (i'm 20 now). maybe CHP gives better breaks than the regular popo?

Quick Reply: 103 mph speeding ticket update!