CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

How do you sell your car privately in SOCAL?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-07, 04:49 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you sell your car privately in SOCAL?

I am trading in my loaded 2005 GX470 with around 26K miles for a larger vehicle to accomodate to the 2 new additions to our family (making it a total of 3 kids)! That's enough kids for now!

I almost always in the past have traded in my vehicles against a new vehicle at the dealership, this is mostly due to I did not have the time to sell it privately and probably was too intimidated to put the effort into it.

I've already gotten an appraisal from Carmax and it's low. I have the KBB value which is higher and now just have to get down to negotiating with the dealer on the trade when it comes time.

However we all know we can get more money selling it privately, so how do I go about doing this without attracting all the crazies out there to test drive my $40k+ vehicle? I just don't know how to do this successfully.

Thanks again for your help in this matter.
Old 02-11-07, 05:25 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've always used AutoTrader.

For about $50, you get your car advertised on the web and in print until it sells.

As soon as you find a buyer, just fill out all the DMV forms together to transfer the car to the buyer. Make sure payment clears prior to handing over the keys.

Good luck!

By the way, you can also post it up on ClubLexus Classifieds...
Old 02-11-07, 05:50 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I've always used AutoTrader.

For about $50, you get your car advertised on the web and in print until it sells.

As soon as you find a buyer, just fill out all the DMV forms together to transfer the car to the buyer. Make sure payment clears prior to handing over the keys.

Good luck!

By the way, you can also post it up on ClubLexus Classifieds...
Thanks again for the good advice. Even with Autotrader you still have to bring in the potential buyer to test drive and look over your vehicle? I would imagine this is the case.

I would trust fellow CL members more than the general public.
Old 02-11-07, 06:05 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Autotrader works good for me.......although I have only sold cheaper cars, nothing high end.

If your dealer has a "certified service" they can do for you, just like the dealers advertise, that might help out the sale.....
Old 02-11-07, 06:57 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can also list here.
Old 02-11-07, 08:39 PM
smarti
Intermediate

www.craigslist.com maybe??
Old 02-11-07, 08:51 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Great question, how do you sell without having people who dont really qualify want to come over and drive it. I would personally come up with some questions that would help you qualify them before letting them drive.

Also, whenever someone comes over to drive, make sure you have people around, like neighbors, friends, other CL members, go with them on the drive and if someone comes walking up (not driving) then thats kind of a bad sign.

Dont ever release the car without full payment verified by a bank, and no money orders and cashier checks arent fool proof, I would prefer to see a wire transfer for that amount.

If someone wants to take it to thier guy for checking out, take it there yourself and leave explicit WRITTEN instructions you are the only one to have the car released to.

Or just trade it in...
Old 02-11-07, 09:39 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i sold my last car via craigslist
Old 02-11-07, 11:25 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Yup you can list here for free but you'll get more lookers on Auto Trader, Recycler, LA Times classifieds, and Craig's List. I sold my IS300 on Auto Trader within 1 week of advertising.
Good luck.
Old 02-11-07, 11:31 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used the ad package from LA times. they put my ad on autotrader too i think or cars.com they have different packages. or do what i did put a for sale sign on your car or use a decal, people who are interested will call you that way.
Old 02-11-07, 11:38 PM
word up
Driver School Candidate

I bought my IS300 from a local member on my.is. Then i sold it to a friend.

carmax will low ball you. so will the dealer.

it would be nice to provide interested buyers w/ a carfax and make sure you meet in a well lit public place.
Old 02-12-07, 05:51 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

I live in Santa Clarita and have sold 2 vehicles at the SCV auto fair
http://www.autofaironline.com/modules.php?name=Default
You bring it in Friday afternoon, they take a picture for their online ad and you leave it there for the weekend. Sold both cars the same weekend. Public place and full of interested buyers!
Old 02-12-07, 08:31 AM
rsa supra
Pole Position

I use Auto Trader, you just need to be clear with interested parties. But at $40k there are likely to be a lot fewer looky loo's.
Old 02-15-07, 03:45 PM
sarge43
Driver

Sold two cars in the past 5 yrs. at Carfaire at Irvine Valley College. You get listing on their website (with photo - they take/post one and then you get a password to upload add'l photos yourself and edit the ad), KBB report, signage, price/interest tags, etc. and then show the car each weekend in their parking lot. One sold in the 1st weekend and the other in a coupe of weeks. Very public place to meet to look over the car and test drive. This format is available at various community colleges. Worked great.
Old 02-15-07, 05:33 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

been buying and selling all my cars through craigslist. (if you're looking for a modded car, more likely to find one there besides the forums)

however i have used autotrader to search for cars and have found some damn good deals through there.

Quick Reply: How do you sell your car privately in SOCAL?