CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Tint Laws for CA clarification...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-07, 11:02 AM
PinoyBruin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thing the officer didnt see that i had no front license plate too!
Old 02-15-07, 11:03 AM
PinoyBruin
Driver

Oh yeah, he also said no tint allowed at all.
Old 02-15-07, 12:07 PM
is_wil
Driver

OK - so the tint guy is here at the house tinting the windows now - I'm doing 28% on the back - 50% on the front what a risk taker!

I asked him about 70% but he says that's really light - he didn't carry it with him...50% looks light enough, and with the back light also I doubt I'll get harrassed...

Anyway, he comes highly recommended from the guys at Longo - but from what I've been told he's not who Longo officially uses - he's just so good they bypass the Longo tinter and all of them get it from this guy - the GM, sales guys, etc...

Proof is in the pudding though so, if he does a good job, I'll take some pictures and ask him if it's OK if I recommend him here...
Old 02-15-07, 12:18 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the reason why people say you cannot tint the front windows AT ALL even with 70% is because most new cars glass is already tinted.

Have you ever opened the door, and just stared through the window and looked around the surrounds and it's a different color from what the window is projecting?

As long as you don't drive like a assmunch, you'll be alright. Right XTRABOOST?
Old 02-15-07, 12:46 PM
is_wil
Driver

Originally Posted by pocky
Well the reason why people say you cannot tint the front windows AT ALL even with 70% is because most new cars glass is already tinted.

Have you ever opened the door, and just stared through the window and looked around the surrounds and it's a different color from what the window is projecting?

As long as you don't drive like a assmunch, you'll be alright. Right XTRABOOST?
I believe you're right - if you wear polarizing sunglasses I believe you see the OEM solar tint on there...
Old 02-15-07, 03:22 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

CA VC says u cant have any kind of film/coating on the front windows that may impair the transmission of light UNLESS u have a medical condition in which case it may be tinted down to 70% transmission.

i ran 5% on the back 3 windows and 50% on my front 2 without any problems. my theory is that the contrasting darkness tricks the eye into seein the 50% as lighter than it really is. (i hope?)
Old 02-15-07, 03:34 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Tint is only allowed on rear windows and a few inches of tint strip on front windshield. That's the law. Police despise front tint because it also hinders their capability to survey the ongoings of what the driver is doing.
Old 02-15-07, 03:56 PM
HAWAI'I
Rookie

cop pulled me over coz he said that he cannot see me thru the tint. He gave me a fix-it ticket. He then informed me, that most cops do not stop tinted fronts as long as the tint is light enough that they can see you even at night.

I still see a lot of peeps driving with heavy tints in two fronts.. and I wonder how come they have not been pulled over yet?!?
Old 02-15-07, 08:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk96Supra
Thats what i've heard.

But seriously if you do 35% all around your not really gonna get mess with, unless the cop is an *** that has nothing else to do or nothing else to write you up for. I think not having a front license plate is a bigger issue, then tint if your at 35%.
yup i agree, unless the cop is a real **** (which i have seen before), they usually won't pull you over just for the tint
Old 02-15-07, 11:08 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.window-tint-school.com/st...nting-laws.pdf

My parents and I have never been pulled over for having tint on the front side windows. When my mom had her windows tinted, they allowed a 70% tint on the front side windows. Did the law change for 2007??
Old 02-16-07, 03:18 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

If you don't give them a reason to pull you over, signs of illegal modifications (that regards to emissions for making more power) and tacky aesthetic modifications (huge/loud exhaust, nasty body kit, wild paint job, ricey blue/purple/green lights, and ricy rims) they probably won't pull you over just for tint.

If you guys care to notice, the guys on Club Lexus with classy/elegant modifications won't get pulled over as often as the guys with in your face modifications, pretty simple concept, put your feet in the shoes of the officers, which cars would you pull over and give tickets to? the guy with class or the guy that has a car that sounds like a real loud bumble bee in your ear?
Old 02-16-07, 07:43 AM
Streamline
Pole Position

Don't go crazy on the tint guys.

If the cops can't see you when they pull you over, you can count on the fact that you'll have guns drawn on you, and be asked to step out of the vehicle.
This is entirely for their safety.
Old 02-16-07, 09:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Streamline
Don't go crazy on the tint guys.

If the cops can't see you when they pull you over, you can count on the fact that you'll have guns drawn on you, and be asked to step out of the vehicle.
This is entirely for their safety.
that's why when you are pulled ovre, you should always lowered all your windows and put both hands on the steering wheel

it makes everyone's lives easier
Old 02-16-07, 09:11 AM
Streamline
Pole Position

True. But not everyone understands it from the officer's point of view. Some people start rummaging for their license and registration. Others start reaching for their glovebox. Others yell at their occupants to sit down and put their seat belts on. The list goes on and on.
Old 02-16-07, 09:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Streamline
True. But not everyone understands it from the officer's point of view. Some people start rummaging for their license and registration. Others start reaching for their glovebox. Others yell at their occupants to sit down and put their seat belts on. The list goes on and on.
tell me about it, i can totally see people doing that. i think it's just a matter of public education?

Quick Reply: Tint Laws for CA clarification...