CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Tint Laws for CA clarification...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-07, 07:37 AM
is_wil
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tint Laws for CA clarification...

I'm having my windows tinted on my new IS350 today and I have 35% all 3 rears, and 70% for 2 front windows planned.

I did do a search for tint laws for CA here, and got back some threads, most of them pointing to tintdude.com for the exact laws. There they say 70% on the front windows are allowed...and the CA VC says 70% transparency is allowed...so I'm assuming that is correct, but then I read a few of the threads where it's stated that no tint on the front windows is allowed.

So which one is it? 70% is OK or NO tint at all on the front windows?
Old 02-15-07, 07:41 AM
XtrabOoSt
Lexus Test Driver

No Tint On The Front...* But Yet I Broke The Law
Old 02-15-07, 07:54 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I just got my windows tinted yesterday on my IS.

I got 35% all around.
Old 02-15-07, 08:03 AM
is_wil
Driver

Originally Posted by XtrabOoSt
No Tint On The Front...* But Yet I Broke The Law
Now, this is where I always get confused

You say NO tint, but how do you know that? Did you get pulled over and that's what the cop said? Or are you just assuming?
Old 02-15-07, 08:06 AM
is_wil
Driver

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I just got my windows tinted yesterday on my IS.

I got 35% all around.
Yeah, 35% would be ideal, that would by far look the best - but I definitely don't want to chance getting pulled over for tint - especially if my wife happens to be driving it - or maybe I would, and maybe have the camera ready when they sit her on the curb and search the car
Old 02-15-07, 08:13 AM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

No tint in the front. A friend is a CHP and he told me... "No front window tints." But they would only pull you over for that to stop you for OTHER possible violations.
Old 02-15-07, 08:19 AM
is_wil
Driver

Originally Posted by OutlawsX
No tint in the front. A friend is a CHP and he told me... "No front window tints." But they would only pull you over for that to stop you for OTHER possible violations.
Yeah, I would think it's just something they tack on to your ticket instead of something they look for.

Also, the law does seem to say 70% is OK, but if most cops assume no tint at all, the I think I would rather follow what the cops think instead of chancing it...

Also, I'll ask to see what 70% even looks like, because if it's super light there's no point in doing it - just wanted to blend the backs with the fronts a bit...
Old 02-15-07, 08:24 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by is_wil
Yeah, 35% would be ideal, that would by far look the best - but I definitely don't want to chance getting pulled over for tint - especially if my wife happens to be driving it - or maybe I would, and maybe have the camera ready when they sit her on the curb and search the car
I say take the chance.

My last car I drove for 6 years with 35% in front limo in back in So Cal (still have the car). I got pulled over like 4 or 5 times, speeding, red light, etc. NOT ONE cop mentioned anything about my tint. Maybe my luck.
Old 02-15-07, 08:30 AM
is_wil
Driver

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I say take the chance.

My last car I drove for 6 years with 35% in front limo in back in So Cal (still have the car). I got pulled over like 4 or 5 times, speeding, red light, etc. NOT ONE cop mentioned anything about my tint. Maybe my luck.
I'll ask to see the 35% - but don't bet on me taking it - I'm a big chicken when it comes to the police...I mean, I'm already worried about 70%!!
Old 02-15-07, 08:41 AM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never gotten pulled over for my front tint yet (**knock on wood**).
Old 02-15-07, 09:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

no tint in the front allowed, period. know friends got pulled over even for 70%.
Old 02-15-07, 10:07 AM
PinoyBruin
Driver

Got caught with a fix it ticket for my 20% front windows. LOL! I pulled both front windows down before the officer approached but still got caught. O man, at least it was only a fix it ticket which i can easily fix thanks to my cousin, wink wink. No way am I going through the hassle of removing my tint. I actually got caught doing 90 mph on the carpool lane but only got a verbal warning for that. My grandpa at the passenger seat, just chuckled at me. LOL!
Old 02-15-07, 10:19 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

isn't oem like 82% or something? i just got 35 all around cause i'm paranoid even though i wish i had gotten 15 or 20 instead.
Old 02-15-07, 10:26 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jsquared
isn't oem like 82% or something? i just got 35 all around cause i'm paranoid even though i wish i had gotten 15 or 20 instead.
Yeah I did the same, got the more conservative 35% all around just to be on the safe side. The 35% tint with my black interior looks alot darker then what it really is.
Old 02-15-07, 10:48 AM
Blk96Supra
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
no tint in the front allowed, period. know friends got pulled over even for 70%.
Thats what i've heard.

But seriously if you do 35% all around your not really gonna get mess with, unless the cop is an *** that has nothing else to do or nothing else to write you up for. I think not having a front license plate is a bigger issue, then tint if your at 35%.

Quick Reply: Tint Laws for CA clarification...