CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Got pulled over last night, a few ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-07, 08:39 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got pulled over last night, a few ?'s

I got singled out last night (out of perhaps 5-6 other cars) while driving under the speed limit.

Long story short:

- 2 cops from the City of Irwindale PD(i was in the city of Walnut)
- 1 cop was neutral, the other was a complete ******* (didn't acknowledge or reply to any of my formal greetings of "hi how are you" and kept calling me a street racer)
- made numerous "street racer" assumptions about my car
"nice engine management controller" - it was my airride controller
"carbon fiber hood for weight reduction" - umm ok... but i honestly have it cuz i like the way it accents my car (i have a lexus... what's saving 40 pounds gonna do?)
"uh huh upgraded roters and brakes to slow you down after you've been speeding" - wtf? I can't have something just for show or even safety?
"i didn't know lexus came with smoked taillights, you must be getting alot of buck for your dollar there street racer" - this was probably the only thing i didn't get mad about. I knew it was illegal to black out my taillights... and that was fine with me.
"you're exhaust is too loud" - I have stock sized tips, and modified my exhaust system to sound very very similar to a stock g35 but maybe 30% louder. It was the idiot next to me that was making all the noise (of course he was in a stock height civic with some ebay noise maker exhaust)

and the last citation i got was for no proof of insurance... the insurance card i had expired last month and I haven't received my new cards yet.

Now I'm not here to complain about the cops, or why I was pulled over (i left out alot of **** that could easily turn this into a crap on cali cops thread)

My questions are:

- How do I take care of this? Do I take my ticket to a CHP station or something to have it written off once it's all taken care of, before I go to court? Anyone have a recommendation of where I can go?

- Do cops from another jurisdiction (perhaps 30 miles away) have the right to pull me over and cite me?

- Anyone have a set of stock taillights I can borrow? (for an SC)

- How do I correct the no proof of insurance? Just show them a valid insurance card? ANd who? The court or CHP?

- Lastly, how and where can I get my exhaust tested for decibel levels because I'm certain that my exhaust is not loud at all. I want to fight this one.

thanks, I appreciate anyone's help and information.
Old 05-30-07, 09:04 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear about this Tommy...i have a set of "kinda" damaged, but perfectly usable 92 tails you can use...

As for your tickets, I think you can pay a slighly larger fine if you want to keep your car as is or fix what they request and take it to the CHP to have them write it off.
Old 05-30-07, 09:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

sorry to hear that

well you didn't mention exactly what tickets you get? did they send you to referee? if so, you can just take care of everything there? stuff like taillights yes you can probably fix it and bring the ticket to chp to sign off.

for no proof of insurance, i think you will need to go to court. i believe by then your new card should be here. you show the judge and he will throw away the case.

for the exhaust i am really not 100% sure... i know referee can get it checked...

yes i believe cop can cite you as long as you are pulled over

btw, if you think the cop was harassing you (which i might consider so), you can get his badge number and file complaint on him quoting what he said about you
Old 05-30-07, 09:11 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being a CJ major... if I remember correctly..local police may give out motor vehicle violations out of their jurisdiction. A motor vehicle violation qualifies as an offense for purposes of this statute and an officer can pursue a person outside of his jurisdiction for a motor vehicle violation. I will double check on that for you.

That sucks Tommy. But yes, go to a CHP station and get your tails written off. Very easy to do. As far as insurance goes... Call your insurance company and ask them to fax you a copy of your insurance policy with the date on it. YOu can show them that you WERE insured at the date of violation.

If you need stock tails... hit up ACleanSC4.

As far as decibel levels.... there's a comparison somewhere that will compare decibels as opposed to a lawn mower and such. It's very helpful. If you need anything, PM me.
Old 05-30-07, 09:21 AM
E-Z ES300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got pulled over yesterday to! On my way home from work, road block along the road of the police station here. The cop wasnt that mean i guess it's cause its the end of the month and they need to hit their quota. I got 2 tickets one for no front plate and another for tinted front windows. I tried to pull a quick one on the cop by putting my front widows down but i guess it was to late he asked if i had tints and i didnt want to lie but he anyway made me put up my window so he can see. The cop who wrote me the tickets said dont worry about it get both fixed (remove front tints and put on front plate) and both will be dismissed in court.
Old 05-30-07, 09:21 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ummagawd
My questions are:
- How do I take care of this? Do I take my ticket to a CHP station or something to have it written off once it's all taken care of, before I go to court? Anyone have a recommendation of where I can go?
- Do cops from another jurisdiction (perhaps 30 miles away) have the right to pull me over and cite me?
- Anyone have a set of stock taillights I can borrow? (for an SC)
- How do I correct the no proof of insurance? Just show them a valid insurance card? ANd who? The court or CHP?
- Lastly, how and where can I get my exhaust tested for decibel levels because I'm certain that my exhaust is not loud at all. I want to fight this one.
thanks, I appreciate anyone's help and information.
Tommy, nice to meet ya. let me see if i can help you here (i'll answer in order):
1. irwindale is an incorporated city and i believe has their own pd. walnut is not incorporated and uses LA county sheriff's. you need to check your citation if any of the offenses are fixable. i believe you must go to the issuing pd to get any fixable offenses written off.
2. yes
3. sorry, i have a 2GS
4. proof of ins, you MUST retrieve from your ins co to show there was no lapse in coverage and offense date was covered by your insurance. this you must show to the judge.
5. exhaust: i believe the cvc specifically states any muffler modification with excessive noise is subject to a cititation (it could have changed in the past years though).

hey, GL and i hope it works out for you. i'm fairly confident about the above but if any others want to chime in to correct me btw, just saw your siggy, dam nice SC!
Old 05-30-07, 10:01 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

thanks guys,

No ref ticket, all correctable citations (modified taillights, modified exhaust, and no-proof of ins)

I'd really like to avoid having to drive all the way out to irwindale to get this stuff checked off. Especially when there's a walnut sheriff station near my house. Can I go there even though it's a sheriff station?

The exhaust is something I'd really like to get proven that it isn't louder than a lawn mower. If i can't get that proven, anyone know how much it'll be to just pay it off? And where do I do that? At the court?

Tony, yea if i could borrow those taillights for a day, that'd be great.

But one thing for sure, I can't believe how much of an a$$h0l3 that cop was. I was more than compliant and very courteous.
Old 05-30-07, 10:11 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

seems like everyone else asnwerd your qesutions. it just sucks that cops still harass people from simple mods. i thought the days of the early 90's when cops pulled over any modified car for anything was over. cops dont usually bother people outside their jurisdiction, im surprised they followed you.
Old 05-30-07, 10:15 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AM1
seems like everyone else asnwerd your qesutions. it just sucks that cops still harass people from simple mods. i thought the days of the early 90's when cops pulled over any modified car for anything was over. cops dont usually bother people outside their jurisdiction, im surprised they followed you.
well not only that, but its a lexus! Now granted my particular lexus attracts attention, I was also at a well-known "hotspot" in the city. Apparently the city of Walnut has asked Irwindale PD for help that night to crack down on modified cars.
Old 05-30-07, 10:30 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

ohhhhh i wonder if they still have the races over in irwindale? if you are in ontario they do the same thing pull people over thinking they are racers.
Old 05-30-07, 10:42 AM
HKN
Lead Lap

Didnt' Know It Was That Bad In Those Area...is It More At Night Or Throughout The Day...?

Sorry About The Tix..
Old 05-30-07, 10:48 AM
E-Z ES300
Lead Lap

I know this doesnt mean i wont get any more tickets for no front plate, but hey, it looks better and now i can say but look my license plate is on the front of my car, right?

Old 05-30-07, 10:58 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ummagawd
thanks guys,

No ref ticket, all correctable citations (modified taillights, modified exhaust, and no-proof of ins)

I'd really like to avoid having to drive all the way out to irwindale to get this stuff checked off. Especially when there's a walnut sheriff station near my house. Can I go there even though it's a sheriff station?

The exhaust is something I'd really like to get proven that it isn't louder than a lawn mower. If i can't get that proven, anyone know how much it'll be to just pay it off? And where do I do that? At the court?

But one thing for sure, I can't believe how much of an a$$h0l3 that cop was. I was more than compliant and very courteous.
1. correctable: i'd suggest to change it and get signed off
2. again, i believe to get signed off, you must go to issuing pd. i recall only chp can sign chp, sheriff can sign sheriff, and so forth w/other pd's.
3. exhaust is correctable. you'd pay the fines to the court i believe.
i think he just caught you on one of his bad nights + it's the end of the month and he was probably behind on his goal. GL!
Old 05-30-07, 10:59 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by E-Z ES300
I know this doesnt mean i wont get any more tickets for no front plate, but hey, it looks better and now i can say but look my license plate is on the front of my car, right?

i dont know if that'd pass in california since it's hidden and the digits are blocked by parts of your bumper. catch a cop in a bad mood and he'd pop you here.
Old 05-30-07, 11:18 AM
E-Z ES300
Lead Lap

California for sure, Illinois... Definitly if he's in a bad mood but i had no front plate for about 4 months and no tickets so ill try my luck this way..

Quick Reply: Got pulled over last night, a few ?'s