CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Weekend trip LA vs. SD

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-07, 03:00 PM
tmag
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weekend trip LA vs. SD

What's up my southern brothers and sisters. Planning a trip for my gf's b-day in oct. and was hoping for some recommendations on where to stay and to do. I know it's kinda vague but let me try to narrow it down. Ok so planning on driving down from the bayarea Fri. nite or sat early morning, staying till monday. Have not decided yet if we should go to LA or all the way down to SD. She has not been to either place, and it's been a while since i've been down there. She's in her late 20's and I'm mid 30. We do still enjoy a night out at a bars but deff. not the college drunk and kiss the pavement kinda night. We do enjoy going to nice restaurants and love the beach scene kicking back. Any hotels/area's you can recomend, I would love an area where we can walk at night to have dinner and drinks so I don't have to worry about driving. Pricewise as long as I don't have to borrow from my 401K then I'm good, up to $200/night for hotel was what I was budgeting for but if I can find a nice place for cheap then more $ for other stuff. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Last edited by tmag; 08-15-07 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-15-07, 03:25 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For Los Angeles: well, I would actually do Costa Mesa, Orange County. Stay near South Coast Plaza (the Westin is excellent), where you'll find plenty of places to fine dine and shop. Newport and Huntington Beaches are also a short 10 minute drive away, and you can also enjoy the drive on PCH to Laguna Beach (a nice art community) to Dana Point (luxury living at best); both which also boast fine dining at every corner. The Orange County Performing Art Center is nearby for shows or symphonies, and a few artsy movie theaters are also close by.

For San Diego: San Diego is definately more casual than the O.C. Stay in the heart at Downtown near the Gaslamp District. There, you can go do some wine tastings at some bars, or just go bar hopping with the rest of all the tourists. The trolley at Downtown can whisk you to Old Town or Tijuana if you want a little bit of Mexican. If you want the beach, Coronado Beach is not that far, or you can go to Sea World for a bit of family fun.
Old 08-15-07, 05:20 PM
J:M
Pole Position

^^^^^Co-Sign........

One last addition. I love SD cause it's so similar to the Bay (my home) except it's a bit more humid. If you drive all the way down, go to La Jolla. It's a great place where there's shopping and the beach. The restaurants on the strip are pretty good also.
Old 08-16-07, 12:42 AM
fdelement
Driver

so many places you can go in both LA and SD.

In LA i recommend Santa Monica pier, a very nice "beach" place with shops along the beach. 3rd street is right next to it for a lot of shopping and live entertainment at (especially on sat nite). Then you also got Marina del ray, which is a bit south of santa monica; also very nice "old town" atmosphere. Long Beach is OK as well if you have the time.

In OC you got Irvine spectrum and South Cost Plaza which are a trendy places to shop and eat i guess. Huntington Beach towards late afternoon is cool because you can shop and stroll along the beach and watch sunset as well as eat. Definitely should check out Newport Beach as well. Basically you should just drive along PCH (highway 1) heading south from LA to OC and you will hit all the major beach spots.

As for San Diego, downtown La Jolla definitely must go. Its got a great beach, cool shops and nice restaurants. You should also head to downtown san diego and check out the places around Horton Plaza and gaslamp district for some fun at night. Its also within walking distance to the beach and Seaport Village. In the day time you can check out Balboa park. If you're feeling more adventurous you can head down to TJ and check out how filthy it is.
Old 08-16-07, 10:14 AM
tmag
Pole Position

Thanks Philip, J:M, and fdelement. Great info. now I really have some thinking to do, I think in leaning more to SD at least for this trip, I guess a second or third trip would not be that difficult in order to visit LA area. Would it still be humid in SD in OCT.? Thanks again for the input, maybe I'll spot some CL soCal members while I'm down there.
Old 08-16-07, 11:31 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tmag
Would it still be humid in SD in OCT?
Absolutely not. It should be warm but very dry...
Old 08-16-07, 02:53 PM
juniorsdad
Lead Lap

for san diego, try these sites for suggestions, etc:

http://www.sandiego.org/nav/Visitors
http://entertainment.signonsandiego....torsguide.html