CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Scam warning to everyone!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-07, 03:48 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not buying all your story......

You "deposited" a check to your active account. The bank determined that it was a fraudulent check.......They don't call the cops and have you drug out of the bank for a situation that occurs many times a week. They revoke the funds "if" they were actually made available in your account, which I doubt, and notify the customer via phone or mail. Normally there is a 10 day hold on check of that size unless you are a customer who normally makes similar type deposits.

Second, if all charges are dropped, they cannot hold your bail. It has to be refunded. That is the law.

Additionally, I have never seen a Ca agency with only one detective. So having 4 days to wait to speak with an investigator is not believable. If you are making a report of being victimized by fraud, any officer can and will take that report and give you detailed information on how the process will work. You will leave with an open case.

I think you either made half this stuff up, embellished way too much about the facts or it was a cut and pasted from the internet or email with your own twist put on it.

And if you think I have no idea what I am talking about, read between the lines of my user name and make your own assumptions.
Old 08-22-07, 03:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it's a cashier check, not normal check. "usually" cashier check are considered more safe coz' it's supposed to be from bank teller directly which confirms that fun are available.

aaristo deposited the check before giving the guy title. but i suspect he did that right after depositing the cashier check.

when he went to the bank again couple days later, he was depositing his PAYCHECK..... read carefully...

the bank probably called the cops coz' they figured this is a ongoing common "scam" and they want authority to take over, instead of the normal procedure of informing account owner a bounced check?
Old 08-22-07, 04:09 PM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by unit74
I'm not buying all your story......

You "deposited" a check to your active account. The bank determined that it was a fraudulent check.......They don't call the cops and have you drug out of the bank for a situation that occurs many times a week. They revoke the funds "if" they were actually made available in your account, which I doubt, and notify the customer via phone or mail. Normally there is a 10 day hold on check of that size unless you are a customer who normally makes similar type deposits.

Second, if all charges are dropped, they cannot hold your bail. It has to be refunded. That is the law.

Additionally, I have never seen a Ca agency with only one detective. So having 4 days to wait to speak with an investigator is not believable. If you are making a report of being victimized by fraud, any officer can and will take that report and give you detailed information on how the process will work. You will leave with an open case.

I think you either made half this stuff up, embellished way too much about the facts or it was a cut and pasted from the internet or email with your own twist put on it.

And if you think I have no idea what I am talking about, read between the lines of my user name and make your own assumptions.
Woh...hold on here, you don't have to buy my story at all. I'm not asking you to. I'm just warning people on here that this may happen to them.

Second. When the cashier slid the cashiers check through their system, I guess it showed up clear and it was deposited into my account. A COUPLE DAYS LATER, I went into the bank to deposit my PAY CHECK, and that's when I got arrested. And yes, I make deposits in large amounts because I'm also a real estate investor.

Third, there was only 1 detective that was working on this case. I ASKED the officer to let me speak to another Detective and he denied it.

As for my refund. They said that I am not eligible. I dunno anything about the LAW...THAT'S another reason why I am posting here to get some information from the CL guys. I dunno why you would think I would CUT ANS PASTE from a website? Common now. Im not 16. I don't want to make this thread a flame thread. I just wanted to inform everyone of my incident.
Old 08-22-07, 04:12 PM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chanh55
Why didn't you deposit the check before transferring the title?
Hey Chanh55,

I did. I deposited the check, RIGHT in front of him, and the teller told me it cleaered. So I transered the title over...and wham...this is what happend.
Old 08-22-07, 05:03 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

allright guys, let me clarify a few things. There are a few KEY points that you guys have not brought up.

the bank and bank teller is really at fault, scanning the check in the slider doesn't mean jack crap. All it does is verify the routing numbers, etc. It doesn't verify FUNDS AVAILABLE. If you look carefully, the slider picks up the bottom portion of the check where the routing numbers are located.

A lot of tellers get LAZY and do a half *** job just to get you out of their face.

They are suppose to VERIFY the funds either by calling the 800 number on the check and/or using their contact sources. It's easy to make a fraudulent check with valid numbers, it's difficult to verify a fraudulent check by calling the 800 number (checks systems) if it is fraudulent, unless the criminal has someone on the inside.

so word of advice to all, ALWAYS FORCE THE TELLER TO VERIFY THE FUNDS AND THE CHECK NUMBER BY CALLING THE 800 NUMBER. The scanner doesn't mean a thing

When you sign off on the pink slip, what was the NAME used in that pink slip ? wasn't there an address or some kind of follow up address that the cops could look up ? Did the cops at least follow up on that ? But it probably doesn't matter, he probably showed u a fake ID with bogus info.

Chances are, the guy has probably driven it out of state or it's at some chop shop.

contact a lawyer and tell him what happened, hopefully u have some recourse. At least try to get your bail amount back. It really is the bank and bank teller's fault.

I don't understand why the cops would not focus on the nigerian fraudster instead of you. If the teller verified the check then it would have raised a RED FLAG, right there they could have called the cops and his little escapade would be over.

Last edited by mikemareen; 08-22-07 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-22-07, 05:13 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Then you need to be in contact with the banks corporate management in writing and express your grave concerns on how they handled this situation. Not knowing 100% of the details, I can only assume that somewhere along the lines, the branch management will pay either with reprimands/firings or policy changes due to the severity of sending a client to jail on a situation they knowingly mishandled.

If they issued the check, they would be able to verify it on the spot. Otherwise, they have to call the issuing bank and/or the clearing house to verify it's authenticity. Regardless though, if it came back as fraudulent, you would still have been liable if you had spent the money so be glad you didn't.

My suggestion about how you were handled by the agency is go speak to your City Counsel or District Attorney and explore the liability they may have incurred as a result of negligent handling of your case.

Your story just sounds too fabricated, post check cashing, to be a real bank and LE agency. BTW....what city and bank are we talking about?

Originally Posted by ssaristo
Woh...hold on here, you don't have to buy my story at all. I'm not asking you to. I'm just warning people on here that this may happen to them.

Second. When the cashier slid the cashiers check through their system, I guess it showed up clear and it was deposited into my account. A COUPLE DAYS LATER, I went into the bank to deposit my PAY CHECK, and that's when I got arrested. And yes, I make deposits in large amounts because I'm also a real estate investor.

Third, there was only 1 detective that was working on this case. I ASKED the officer to let me speak to another Detective and he denied it.

As for my refund. They said that I am not eligible. I dunno anything about the LAW...THAT'S another reason why I am posting here to get some information from the CL guys. I dunno why you would think I would CUT ANS PASTE from a website? Common now. Im not 16. I don't want to make this thread a flame thread. I just wanted to inform everyone of my incident.
Old 08-22-07, 06:13 PM
tommyGS3
Lexus Test Driver

here's my 2cents
i hav a business for about 8 years (Furniture)
i do large deposits everyday. and in the pass i had 3 fake cashier checks, (my lost) and the teller never tells me *****. i just get a letter in the mail stating the the check cannot be deposited. This case the bank should not hav called the cops.
this is not ssaristo fault. Call a lawyer and see what he says
Old 08-22-07, 07:43 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like everyone else is saying get a lawyer. You can sue the city for false arrest and the bank for calling the cops on you. Your chances of winning the against the city are very high since you were cuffed and put in a holding cell. If you are not willing to issue you a refund, sue them for that as well. As for the bank, not sure how good your chances are, but worth a shot as I do not believe that is proper procedure. Good luck with it man.
Old 08-23-07, 07:42 AM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

Thanks guys, Ill keep you guys posted
Old 08-23-07, 10:24 AM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Get a lawyer! BTW what bank is this?
Old 08-23-07, 11:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i think in the other thread he said it's union bank?
Old 08-23-07, 01:26 PM
JDM
Lead Lap

I belive that he said it was Union Bank of California. Lots of Japanese Americans tend to use that bank.
Old 08-23-07, 01:58 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you say that you went into the bank with the buyer?
Maybe the cops can get video footage of the buyer from the banks video cams.
Have them post it on the local TV stations and at least notify the public.
Also, try calling the local TV stations.
They may pursue the story.
Old 08-23-07, 02:01 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

that's what I'm thinking....why hasn't the cops investigated the bank video's ?

instead it seems like they don't give a crap.
Old 08-23-07, 02:59 PM
HKN
Lead Lap

sorry to hear about the mishap...that's why when it comes to "toys" and hobbies...unless it is at a dealer or retail place....CASH ONLY please...hope all works out for you bro

Quick Reply: Scam warning to everyone!!!!