CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Scam warning to everyone!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-07, 10:42 AM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Scam warning to everyone!!!!

Here's the story.

I sold my Nissan 240sx the other day.
1989 Nissan 240sx SR20DET

So...this buyer comes and checks out the car, absolutely loves it, and offers me 9000 for it.

I agreed, so he had a cashiers check with him.

We both went to my bank to confirum the deposit, and everything cleared.

So I transfered the title over to him, and the deal was done!

Usually things go smoothly and everyting is closed...but when I returned to the bank the other day to deposit my paycheck, they made me wait at the teller for 20min, until an officer comes up behind me and handcuffs me and puts me to the ground, embarrasing me in front of everyone!!!

I asked the officer what happened, and all he said was, "Shhhh shut up and don't talk". So I'm being transported to the station and find out that the cashiers check was a counterfit.

First the officer didn't read me my right when arresting me, and then I ask him that I speak to a detective about this, that I am the victum here, but he ignores me and throws me in the holding cell. The officer comes back after a while and tells me that the detective is on vacation and i won't be able to speak to anyone for 4 days.

I was like, "HELL NO am I staying in here for 4days when i didn't do anything!"
So I called my GF and she bailed me out.

Recently the detective in charge of this case calls me, apologizes for the mistake and told me that I can't get a refund for the bail amount. ($3000).

Now I'm stuck here, without the car, and down 3k....I'm PISSED.

Anyone have any tips or ideas on what I can do? Maybe sue the city? I atleast want to get my bail money back.

Also, they found out that the guy that bought the car form me was from Nigeria. And that they couldn't anyting about my car since I signed it over to him...is that true? Someone please educate me on what steps I can take or else my anger is gonna explode!!!!!

Thanks for listening.

EDIT: EVERYONE BE CAREFUL!!! When receiving the cahsiers check and depositing. Make SURE and double make sure that it is legit...because even the teller told me that it looked real, and it acutally scanned in clear.

Last edited by Saiji; 08-22-07 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-22-07, 10:45 AM
XtrabOoSt
Lexus Test Driver

That Sucks Bro!..* Not To Good With These Things Cept To Argue With The Cops Lol..* Hope You Get Feed Back From Here!..* Damn The Pigs!..*
Old 08-22-07, 10:57 AM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

I would say it's the bank's Fault for accepting the cashier check in the first place... Second, the police has to read you your rights when arresting you. Maybe get a lawyer and see what can be done about getting the 3k bail money back.
Old 08-22-07, 11:01 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow that sux... I guess only sure thing to do is to accept cash
you happen to have his info?
Old 08-22-07, 11:07 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

That sux. For future reference: You can verify funds by calling or going in at the bank where the check is drawn on. Selling stuff these days is getting bad.
Old 08-22-07, 11:29 AM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

His info is....
Craig Berry -

I dont have all his info, when I go home I'll post it. I have his number...which isn't working anymore, email address, address (which is fake), driver lisence copy and a recoded conversation with him. I'll try to make a link of the conversation for you guys to hear, just in case he tried to pull one off with the CL guys.
Old 08-22-07, 11:29 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sorry for what has happened. It is best to contact a lawyer regarding your case with the police. There were definately laws bypassed; your rights were clearly taken from you. You should get your bail money back in court, but a court hearing will definately be involved.

It seems that although everything about the sale looked fine, did you make sure all the proper paperwork/info was obtained? Do you have the buyer's info? Driver's licence number? Contact information? DMV paperwork? Address, phone number? All this is necessary with the sale of a car, as well as for your case when you go to court.

Good luck. Be safe.
Old 08-22-07, 11:54 AM
gs eddy
Rookie

sorry about the bad luck. hope that Nigerian sob get his.

first, usually "miranda" rights law suits dont hold up to well. I think if you go check out the "ACLU", you can get more info about that. And regarding what the police tell you, dont believe anything they say, they're trained to: manipulate the average citizen. (generally we dont know our rights). do yo have a court date? or did the DA drop charges? if everything is cleared up, you should get your money back. if not, you should get a "consultation."
and if all else fails, write it off as a loss during tax season. (a good cpa is needed).......Best of luck.
Old 08-22-07, 12:39 PM
White98ARISTO
Goldmember

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KA8
Wow that sux... I guess only sure thing to do is to accept cash
you happen to have his info?
Not always true also. Unfortunately, I have sold stuff to people and was left with counterfeit bills also.

ssaristo, sorry to hear about your situation. Hope things work out for you. I too almost got caught up in a scam, but was lucky to catch on before.

Tommy
Old 08-22-07, 01:25 PM
hass
Lexus Champion

Call your local News station. That's all i can offer. that really sucks.
-hass
Old 08-22-07, 02:03 PM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

They dropped the charges on me, but the detective told me that I am not entitled for a refund of my bail amount...which is rediculous to me...is that true?
Old 08-22-07, 02:20 PM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

that sucks.. guess you didn't see the NBC Special on Nigerian Scammers.. it aired about 1-2 months ago..
Old 08-22-07, 02:38 PM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

Only if I were more careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =| Wish I'd seen that show.
Old 08-22-07, 02:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ssaristo
They dropped the charges on me, but the detective told me that I am not entitled for a refund of my bail amount...which is rediculous to me...is that true?
yes, i'd say it's ridiculous. they had no right to hold you for 4 days just coz' "the detective is on vacation"

at least i think
Old 08-22-07, 02:45 PM
chanh55
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why didn't you deposit the check before transferring the title?

Quick Reply: Scam warning to everyone!!!!