CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Where to live? - Between Long Beach and Fullerton

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-07, 07:47 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 748 Likes on 518 Posts
Default Where to live? - Between Long Beach and Fullerton

As the topic states, I need to find a place to move to. My job is going to be in Long Beach/Seal Beach/Huntington Beach/El Segundo. I'm in a rotational program so I'll be moving to one of these locations every 4 months. My gf is going to be going to optometry school in Fullerton, hence the Long Beach and Fullerton.

While I would love to live near the beach, I don't like the idea of her driving 30 miles to go to school everyday. So what neighborhoods are good between there? Is there a good mix of people? Schools matter a little bit, but wouldn't be a deal breaker and safe, can't forget to mention that.

I'm looking to buy a house, which at this time is pretty good if I can get approved. I do have a nice down payment but I'd like to set the cap at 750K. But I won't actually be buying until April/June, so I'm just getting my feet wet for now.

TIA for your advice.

Last edited by Allen K; 12-04-07 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-04-07, 08:14 AM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say somewhere like Downey. Some areas might be ghetto, but if you look into it, the wealthier side has great looking homes and the neighborhood isn't that bad. I live in Norwalk...which sucks...I hate it here. haha
Old 12-04-07, 08:17 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cypress, Stanton, Westminster are good cities. Beach cities are nice, but overpriced, and you really can't enjoy it if you're out on the road all the time.

With the three above, you'll have good access to the 91, 405, 605, and 22 Freeways; as well as a bunch of good restaurants and businesses of all types and cultures.
Old 12-04-07, 08:35 AM
XtrabOoSt
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Cypress, Stanton, Westminster are good cities. Beach cities are nice, but overpriced, and you really can't enjoy it if you're out on the road all the time.

With the three above, you'll have good access to the 91, 405, 605, and 22 Freeways; as well as a bunch of good restaurants and businesses of all types and cultures.
Yea!..*
Old 12-04-07, 09:08 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

how about cerritos?
Old 12-04-07, 01:06 PM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

Cerritos.. at 750k, you're going to buy something that is so-so. You'll need at least 800-900k to buy something worthwhile in Cerritos.

La Palma, La Mirada, Buena Park, Cypress, even Lakewood may work... for 750k those locations you will get something pretty decent.
Old 12-04-07, 04:58 PM
lilshyguy
Driver

lemme know if u need to take out a loan for purchasing the house...i work at a mortgage loan office and we only do referred customers only no public loans so you know all of our customers appreciate our work and plus we do no costs hahaha
Old 12-04-07, 10:50 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might want to be a bit more specific about the 750K. Depending on the size of the house, condition, crime rate etc it all depends on what is more important to you. some people may be willing to have a newer bigger house but the area may not be as good. while others might take a smaller house but in a nicer city. i like long beach myself or maybe cerritos.
Old 12-04-07, 11:28 PM
DriftVIP
Rookie

Yorba Linda
Old 12-05-07, 12:57 AM
Heng350
Lexus Test Driver

mayb an apartment anywhere would be good enough if its just u and your girlfriend. But your a lexus owner u cant b having that :P no matter wat the case u shud aviod the bad neighborhoods so live closer 2 fullerton mayb?
Old 12-05-07, 12:58 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Cypress is a nice area and should be good for both of you. If that is too far for your girlfriend then how about West Brea?
Old 12-05-07, 07:49 AM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

West Brea... isn't that saying La Habra.. or La Habra Heights? :P
Old 12-05-07, 08:43 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Sorry for the lack of details. I'm not looking for anything too big. Probably a 3 bed 2 bath. We're currently looking at some homes in Fullerton, but then that's a 30 mile commute for me which is no fun. Crime rates are probably going to be the biggest variable to tackle.

The reason I don't want an apt is because if I'm going to be making monthly payments, I might as well get some equity back from it
Old 12-05-07, 09:08 AM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

You're prolly going to lose some money anyhows in the short term. Housing is still expected to keep dropping. How long do you plan to live at the place? If it's over 7-10 years, I can see you buying the place... but if it's only for 2-3 years tops, I'd hold back. Housing is terrible, and the loss compare to simply paying the rent may be higher.

See if Cypress/La Palma/Cerritos may work. Safer areas. Crime is pretty low in those cities. Lakewood/Artesia it's a bit higher.

I'm looking to get a second home for the long run in La Mirada, near Beach/Rosecran. It's somewhat safe, but the surrounding area is something to be left undesired. It's also in the 650-700k range right now for a 3/2+ house. I'll prolly offer them 10-12% below what they are asking... might as well low ball them now like I did back in the 90's.
Old 12-05-07, 09:43 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

I'm going to be keeping the house for a long time. When I do decide to move out, I'm going to rent it out rather than sell it.

Quick Reply: Where to live? - Between Long Beach and Fullerton