CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Speeding Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-07, 04:43 PM
Downfall75
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding Ticket

Okay, so of all days, today I had to get a ticket. It was last day of work and I was running late, so I pushed it a tad over the speed limit to arrive there on time. Halfway there, I get pulled over by two CHP officers and am given a speeding ticket. Apparantly I was going 105MPH (I couldn't even feel it at the time since the rest of the traffic was at 90+) and was given a citation. So would anyone care to enlighten me on how much this ticket will cost and whether I can attend driving school for it or not? I'm afraid that they'll revoke my license for going that fast but I think that is highly unlikely..
So.. I wonder how the judge is going to see this. I haven't really thought about what to say but I'm hoping that the judge will give me a lesser fine. I've been told that it would be $500+. There goes my savings
Old 12-22-07, 04:46 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think you can do traffic school for speeds over 100. maybe that's just Riverside County though...

I got one for 85 in a 70 and it was about $300...... Prolly double for your ticket.
Old 12-22-07, 05:07 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that going over 90 or 95 is exhibition of speed and is a mistimeaner.
A friend of mine got one at 100.
Old 12-22-07, 05:07 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

All I can say is I feel for you, this is gonna hurt
Old 12-22-07, 05:10 PM
Downfall75
Lead Lap

What would the punishment be if I was a minor? Would it be less severe than an adult?
Old 12-22-07, 05:13 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats up to the judge to decide, I believe. Since you are a minor they may be harsher on you. Are you still on a probationary license (do you still have restrictions on what times you are allowed to drive)? I never got a ticket as a minor so I do not know how the process works.
Old 12-22-07, 05:18 PM
Downfall75
Lead Lap

I can't drive between the hours of 11pm and 5am. This is my first ticket and I've had a clean record before. I was wondering if I should fight it? Perhaps the ticket will be dismissed or my fine will be reduced..
Old 12-22-07, 05:29 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I highly highly doubt it will be dismissed. The judge would have to be unbelievably stupid to believe your side of the story.

In CA, it's usually $500 fine for the first offense, but they may tack on other offenses. It's not unheard of to get $700 tickets either. Also realize that you'll probably get 2 points on your license record too. Expect your insurance rate to jump up pretty high, especially since you're under legal age.

Although it's your first offense, I hope you learn a lesson from it. You may be traveling a bit faster, but in the end, you'll only arrive a minute or so sooner. Sometimes it's just better to lose those minutes than to get a huge ticket. If I ever go above the speed limits, it's usually 5mph or so, and that's on the freeway. Yea I'm 'slow' compared to other drivers, but it saves me money in the end

Last edited by GSteg; 12-22-07 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-22-07, 05:36 PM
Downfall75
Lead Lap

So now I'm wondering whether I should plea for a lesser sentence..
Old 12-22-07, 06:25 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Downfall75
Okay, so of all days, today I had to get a ticket. It was last day of work and I was running late, so I pushed it a tad over the speed limit to arrive there on time. Halfway there, I get pulled over by two CHP officers and am given a speeding ticket. Apparantly I was going 105MPH (I couldn't even feel it at the time since the rest of the traffic was at 90+) and was given a citation. So would anyone care to enlighten me on how much this ticket will cost and whether I can attend driving school for it or not? I'm afraid that they'll revoke my license for going that fast but I think that is highly unlikely..
So.. I wonder how the judge is going to see this. I haven't really thought about what to say but I'm hoping that the judge will give me a lesser fine. I've been told that it would be $500+. There goes my savings
What would the punishment be if I was a minor? Would it be less severe than an adult?
I can't drive between the hours of 11pm and 5am. This is my first ticket and I've had a clean record before. I was wondering if I should fight it? Perhaps the ticket will be dismissed or my fine will be reduced..
So now I'm wondering whether I should plea for a lesser sentence..
sry buddy, but ur pretty screwed it seems.

u were doing 100mph+ so the DMV is very well within its rights to suspend your license. the fact that you have had your license for under 12months (which is why you still have ur time restriction...) will NOT be in your favor.
22348. (a) Notwithstanding subdivision (b) of Section 22351, a
person shall not drive a vehicle upon a highway with a speed limit
established pursuant to Section 22349 or 22356 at a speed greater
than that speed limit.
(b) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed
greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction
punishable, as follows:
(1) Upon a first conviction of a violation of this subdivision, by
a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The court may
also suspend the privilege of the person to operate a motor vehicle
for a period not to exceed 30 days
pursuant to Section 13200.5.
you will get 2 points (or more, depends if the cop gave u a misdemeanor or an infraction) and as you are a minor, 2 points in 12months automatically gets you a 30day restriction.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/teenweb/dl_btn2/dl.htm
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/vioptct.htm#1cvc

Oh yea, and you insurance, if they choose NOT to just drop you, will increase exponentially

p.s. dont use the "i didnt feel it" line in front of the judge, he'l laugh at you. you were going 100mph+ at a time (<18 restriction) that you damn well shouldnt have just because u were late to work. dont expect any leniency from the judge by saying you have a "clean record", you've had your license for such a short period of time that it doesnt mean a damn thing. Good luck

Last edited by PureDrifter; 12-22-07 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-22-07, 06:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

anything under 100 is considered infraction. so they wrote 105 on the ticket? then you are in trouble. you are glad that they didn't put you in jail and impound the car. for speed over 100, you are not likely to be eligible for traffic school.

personally i would probably hire an attorney to try lower the fine and plead for traffic school
Old 12-22-07, 08:49 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

actually guys, i believe Downfall is looking at reckless driving; which i believe is a misdemeanor. CHP technically could've impounded your car, etc-but in your case they didn't = you're lucky. Don't fight it (unless you have a solid case and can reference historical cases applicable to win). Hire an attny? For what, to spend more $?

Just make it easier on yourself: pay the fine(s), i doubt the judge will allow trfc school (but try to get it), call it a day, and like Gsteg said-hope you learned a costly and valuable lesson. Please help us keep the roads safe. GL to you.

dont forget, judges frown upon the younger demographics on cases like this since you're endangering all of our lives on the road. Lets hope the judge is in a good mood that day. my 2 cents, if you see the judge, dress professionally (full on suit) and articulate yourself well. even though your case will probably only last about 5 minutes in court.
Old 12-22-07, 10:35 PM
Downfall75
Lead Lap

So yeah, after thinking hard about it, I am glad that I got pulled over. If I hadn't been pulled over I probably would still be speeding around all over the place. I'm just glad it was here when I didn't get in an accident. I've learned my lesson well and hard enough and I don't plan on speeding ever again. Hey, a ticket is something money can fix but an accident isn't. $500 isn't so bad (I work and it'll be paid off in a month), and neither is the 30 day suspension. The 2 points on the otherhand, is a little problem. I know insurance prices are going to go up and I am willing to pay the difference in montly payments using my paycheck. I hope this event has opened all you CL'ers eyes out there and I hope you learn the same lesson I am learning.

Don't speed. It's not worth it.

*Do you think I could work up community service hours in return for the removal of the two points? I'd be willing to do as much community service hours it takes to void the 2 points.

Last edited by Downfall75; 12-22-07 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-22-07, 11:25 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

*Do you think I could work up community service hours in return for the removal of the two points? I'd be willing to do as much community service hours it takes to void the 2 points.
It's good to hear you're owning up to your responsibilities. to you for that. Regarding the 2 pts, I'm not too sure how long it takes before DMV receives the notice of your ticket and your case's final outcome. They may already have a copy of it and just waiting to insert your pts on your file, but, that's just speculation. Anyway, you can always try to negotiate with the judge on the 2 pts vs comm srvc; but i doubt it. Pts are usually related to traffic school. If you can get the judge to agree to let you pay the hefty fine, go traffic school + do some comm srvc = 1 judge who may have just got some and in a dam good mood. Either way, GL to you!
Old 12-22-07, 11:28 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

my friend got his license suspended awhile back for going 100 or something like that...

his little brother had to drive him around haha

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket