CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Toll road ticket question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-07, 01:02 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Toll road ticket question

I recently got a ticket (stopped by CHP) for going thru the San Joaquin Hills 73 toll road without my transponder (paper plates still on). I wasn't speeding. The court info I received in the mail gives me the option of going to traffic school. The CHP officer told me it wasn't a moving violation. So does anybody know for sure why the court gave the option of traffic school (unless it is a moving violation)?? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by ISF_GG; 01-04-08 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-29-07, 01:08 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

pure speculation: the toll road may be owned by the city with which you violated a vehicle code. if owned by the city, then traffic school may be an option. Any fines assessed/collected for this violation might be split between CHP and the city.

again, pure speculation.
Old 12-29-07, 02:11 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

The Toll Road Agency is a private corp. Most money made by them is used to repay their bond debt, as well as maintain their roads (the 74, 241, 261, to mention a few local toll roads). But why traffic school on my ticket, if it's not a moving violation??? That would be like taking traffic school for a parking ticket.
Old 12-29-07, 03:49 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why did he stop you is my question? If he did not have any PC to pull you over, then why were you stopped? How did he know you had no transponder? And is this a legal reason to stop you?

If there is no legal reason to pulled you over, he reaped fruits of the poisonous tree and the ticket should be dismissed. Simply pulling you over to check and see if you have a transponder is not legal.

If there is some sort of light that goes off and he was watching it, then I would challenge the ticket in court as the CHP officer was acting as a direct agent of the Toll Road by specifically enforcing only transponder violations at that time. Since the company makes money off his ticket, there is a very serious legal issue that arises and I think you would have a very workable case.

I'd talk to an attorney and get some legal advise my friend.
Old 12-29-07, 04:11 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

you could either go 1 of the following routes:
1. take the traffic school, pay whatever fines, and call it a day = simple and move on, OR
2. try to work it as unit74 mentioned to see if you can beat it

which car were you driving?
also, keep in mind, CHP are CA state peace officers. i'm not too familiar w/the current equipment they carry in their units, but do know they have jurisdiction on all CA highways/fwys. if a unit is based out of say santa fe springs, he could technically travel as far as he wanted on any CA fwy.

Last edited by 4ntvings; 12-29-07 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-02-08, 02:26 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by unit74
Why did he stop you is my question? If he did not have any PC to pull you over, then why were you stopped? How did he know you had no transponder? And is this a legal reason to stop you?

If there is no legal reason to pulled you over, he reaped fruits of the poisonous tree and the ticket should be dismissed. Simply pulling you over to check and see if you have a transponder is not legal.

If there is some sort of light that goes off and he was watching it, then I would challenge the ticket in court as the CHP officer was acting as a direct agent of the Toll Road by specifically enforcing only transponder violations at that time. Since the company makes money off his ticket, there is a very serious legal issue that arises and I think you would have a very workable case.

I'd talk to an attorney and get some legal advise my friend.
Apparently there is a flashing light indicator system on the north bound 74 at the main toll plaza, which lights up when a non-transponder car goes thru. The camera takes a picture of the offender, and if the CHP is at that location to view the "lights", he can pull over those that he choses to. Since I had my transponder in my Supra, and paper plates on my IS, I was a candidate for the pullover. I still want to know if this could be a 'traffic school" needed ticket. As the CHP officer told me it wasn't a moving violation, why would the DMV put the option of traffic school on the stuff they mailed me?? If it's not a moving violation, what would I care if my insurance company saw that on my driving record? It wouldn't matter, am I right or am I wrong??
Old 01-03-08, 03:44 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Actually The Toll Roads is not a private agency. Here's info from their website:

Originally Posted by Transportation Corridor Agencies

Questions & Answers

Who operates the The Toll Roads?

The Transportation Corridor Agencies (TCA) are two public agencies formed in 1986 to plan, finance, construct, and operate Orange County's 67-mile public toll road system. Caltrans owns and maintains The Toll Roads.

Fifty-one miles of the system are complete. The Eastern (SR-241, SR-261, SR-133) and Foothill (SR-241) Toll Roads run from the 91 Freeway to Irvine and Rancho Santa Margarita, and the San Joaquin Hills (73) Toll Road runs from Newport Beach to the I-5 Freeway in San Juan Capistrano. The final 16-mile segment of the Foothill (SR-241) Toll Road from Rancho Santa Margarita to the I-5 near San Clemente (also known as Foothill-South) is under development.
Old 01-03-08, 03:45 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
I recently got a ticket (stopped by CHP) for going thru 74 toll road without my transponder (paper plates still on).
Ortega Hwy (74) is a toll road? Last time I checked it was a free highway.
Old 01-03-08, 04:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

maybe he meant 73? just a guess
Old 01-03-08, 08:37 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
mmmmm ortega...

fun fun hehe
Old 01-04-08, 12:37 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
Sorry about that, I meant the San Joaquin Hills 73 toll road (original post has been changed to correct error). My bad. I'm going to call the DMV, and/or CHP this next week and find out if my ticket will go on my record if I don't go to traffic school. I'll keep you all posted.