CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Most Bogus Ticket You Have Ever Heard Of!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-07, 03:40 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Most Bogus Ticket You Have Ever Heard Of!

tell me what you guys think i should do:

so the rundown of the story is this, kind of a long read, but i would appreciate it if you took the time.

I was driving down the a street with a speed limit of 40. im following the flow of traffic which is about 45. Then my street is coming up and i need to make a left. The roads are gigantic, plenty of space, and no oncoming cars--so i take the the left turn without slowing down. my tires in the rear are BALD, so i get a little bit of squeal from the rear tires. after about 400 feet i see a motorcycle cop take the turn behind me in my rear view and siren me down.

He comes to the window and first asks me where my plates are, i said they are inside the car (i have vanity plates on) and he said "ok, sped up into that turn pretty quickly huh" and i was like "well..." and he interrupted me and asked for my license and registration. I was extremely polite and provided him with my insurance card as well, and he walked backed to his motorcycle. When he came back he had a ticket for me going 70 in a 40! I then asked him where he found 70 from and responded that he was following behind me and when i took the turn he followed behind me, looked down and his speedometer read 70, and it is calibrated.

I then just drove away after signing the ticket.

Now that brings me here....he did not even ask the standard protocol of "Do you know how fast you were going? He just simply gave me a ticket and called it a day. I plan on fighting the ticket and bringing in the sticker that says the tires only last 15k or less, as well as the receipt i will be getting monday from the tire place because i am getting 4 new rims and tires installed. On top of all that he was not using a radar, he just said that he was behind me and saw me speed up, and so he followed me and read his speedo at 70, before making a left turn.

what are my chances?

thank you
Old 12-30-07, 03:47 PM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

chances are you gonna get a ticket for having bald tires lol
Old 12-30-07, 04:11 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i don't see the correlation between having bald tires and you supposedly going 70mph?
Old 12-30-07, 04:12 PM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

His bald tires are what made the squeal, leading the officer to believe he took the turn hot, and therefore was speeding...
Old 12-30-07, 05:56 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

if you were in the IS in your siggy, chances are your tips (? am i correct to see an exhaust on?) and blacked out tails caught his attn. he could pop you easily for the tails. also, i dont quite understand how the tires' sticker stating 15k miles of treadlife have anything to do with this. if anything, you're operating an unsafe vehicle if your tires are "BALD", as you stated.

try to fight it by postponing and then showing up. maybe you'll get lucky and the officer wont show up. i do understand your point, however in the end, it's a CA state peace officer's word against your's. GL
Old 12-30-07, 07:10 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

do you think i could push the idea that i am innocent until proven guilty, and because there is no substantial evidence that i was operating at unsafe speed, that his credibility as an officer is overridden by my backing from the judicial branch of government? he had no radar, and he did not even ask me how fast i thought i was going, he surprised me with a ticket.
Old 12-30-07, 07:13 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

I don't buy your story Boss.....

Your poor me excuses and chirpin your tires sympathy line just makes me chuckle.....Pay the ticket and go on with life. Your gonna be wasting your time and your gonna feel dumb for trying. I can see it in your writing.......Your guilty and you know it.
Old 12-30-07, 07:34 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Originally Posted by unit74
I don't buy your story Boss.....

Your poor me excuses and chirpin your tires sympathy line just makes me chuckle.....Pay the ticket and go on with life. Your gonna be wasting your time and your gonna feel dumb for trying. I can see it in your writing.......Your guilty and you know it.
i actually didn't even know i squealed my tires. all the cop said was, you squealed your tires. so i was like, oh...
Old 12-30-07, 07:37 PM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ron_is350
do you think i could push the idea that i am innocent until proven guilty, and because there is no substantial evidence that i was operating at unsafe speed, that his credibility as an officer is overridden by my backing from the judicial branch of government? he had no radar, and he did not even ask me how fast i thought i was going, he surprised me with a ticket.
lol ok let's not go law student on this deal here... He doesn't have to ask you how fast you were going. And yes, usually, his credibility is worth more than yours. Doesn't mean he can't be wrong.

He said he paced you at 70... was he behind you then? Paced you for how long? From where? He'll have to explain that to the court. Then there's the posted speed limit deal... I forgot what it was, but the road has to have been surveyed for speed or some **** like that.. .i'm no traffic cop, so I don't know. But if you are truly innocent, I'd go fight it!
Old 12-30-07, 07:38 PM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

The judge will find you guilty if you try to use the "bald tire" story. They could say.. You should have gone slower then, and not have any squeal.. AND since you didn't go slower, you could have caused an accident because of faulty equipment which you acknowledge.

They might cite you for the Bald Tires if you bring it up, since it's an unsafe vehicle.
Old 12-30-07, 08:58 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Originally Posted by The Godfather
lol ok let's not go law student on this deal here... He doesn't have to ask you how fast you were going. And yes, usually, his credibility is worth more than yours. Doesn't mean he can't be wrong.

He said he paced you at 70... was he behind you then? Paced you for how long? From where? He'll have to explain that to the court. Then there's the posted speed limit deal... I forgot what it was, but the road has to have been surveyed for speed or some **** like that.. .i'm no traffic cop, so I don't know. But if you are truly innocent, I'd go fight it!
he was behind me, for probably half a block or even less. i understand he can be right, and so can I. do you think it would help just to emphasize that in a case where there is lack of evidence and in a word for word hearing it is not fair to judge without substantial proof? i guess i could try to evoke emotion from the judge. it is innocent until proven guilty, and it is not fair to put someone's well being on the line because it was word against word. both of us are sworn in. i feel like hep ulled me over just because he was on a motorcycle in the freezing cold, and needed a break.

Last edited by IS_NIICE; 12-30-07 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-30-07, 09:02 PM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

What evidence do you want? Radar units do not record anything. Judges know the training officers go through. Officers have to be able to judge speed visually within a 5 mph margin, and verify it with the radar, or by pacing. So, in this case, it looks like it was legitimate.

Oh and you said you took the turn w/o slowing down? At this point, just eat it and take it as a lesson learned. Be glad you didn't get popped for more stuff...like bald tires.
Old 12-30-07, 09:03 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a traffic lawyer to fight it for you. I highly doubt your story will hold up if you take it to court. Are you worried about the price of the ticket or just the insurance hike afterwards...defensive driving maybe?
Old 12-30-07, 09:06 PM
esucaris1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the part where you say there is no oncoming traffic so I take the turn "without" slowing down... be sure to not use that info in court... And yes plead not guilty then get as many extensions as possible on the days before you have to appear I think you can get 3 and hope the officer gets tired of showing for your case if he no shows case dismissed...

Last edited by esucaris1; 12-30-07 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-30-07, 09:17 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

basically, im going to go into the courtroom and say that the officer pulled me over because he was cold and needed to stop for a little break. then they are going to think that it is such a ridiculous statement, and i will then continue to mention that i said that for a reason, and that statement has just as much validity as what the officer has to say. and with that reason no story brought up in court has enough credibility to make me guilty. since it is not guilty until proven innocent, i will ask the judge to consider what i just said.

just for the record, i have a clean slate with no moving violations, ever!

the last ticket i got was a seatbelt violation when i didn't even have my license. i was a passenger in a car. this was when i was in 11th grade

Quick Reply: Most Bogus Ticket You Have Ever Heard Of!