CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Registration and Sales Tax Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-07, 03:19 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Registration and Sales Tax Questions

I recently moved to CA and I had 2 questions concerning trading a vehicle in to a dealership.
My current registration expires at the end of June 2008. If I trade the vehicle in to a dealership, will the DMV apply the credit from the old registration over to the new registration? Or do I lose it?

Also when trading a vehicle in on a new one, will the difference in price from trade in to the new one get the sales tax credit for what the trade in was worth applied towards the new one?

Thanks
Old 12-31-07, 04:01 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
I recently moved to CA and I had 2 questions concerning trading a vehicle in to a dealership.
My current registration expires at the end of June 2008. If I trade the vehicle in to a dealership, will the DMV apply the credit from the old registration over to the new registration? Or do I lose it?
Hi BobsGX and welcome to California!

Sorry, but you will lose the remaining registration. The new owner of your car will benefit from it.

Also when trading a vehicle in on a new one, will the difference in price from trade in to the new one get the sales tax credit for what the trade in was worth applied towards the new one?
Thanks
Sorry again, but you will get taxed on the total car sales price. Otherwise people would be trading in close to what the new car costs just to avoid paying tax.

Taxes will get you no matter what, I know it sucks.
Old 12-31-07, 06:29 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Thanks. Wow, that's like a $3500.00 hit I would take by doing a trade in. No wonder there are so many old cars on the road in this state. Well that and the fact the registration costs here are very high on newer vehicles is no doubt another reason for all the old vehicles on the road around here.
Old 01-01-08, 07:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

welcome to CA and the "suck" about these registrations and tax.

but then again, i can tell you for a fact that there are still tons of people getting new cars left and right about 300 new cars leave each lexus dealership every month, and you can count how many major lexus dealers we have in socal and then imagine mb and bmw
Old 01-01-08, 11:19 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by rominl
welcome to CA and the "suck" about these registrations and tax.

but then again, i can tell you for a fact that there are still tons of people getting new cars left and right about 300 new cars leave each lexus dealership every month, and you can count how many major lexus dealers we have in socal and then imagine mb and bmw

I'm still glad to be here and not have to deal with all the road salt and slop that they love to waste on the roads back there when there is any chance of snow in the forecast. Sounds like the best thing to do out here is to lease a car for 2-3 years since then I would only be paying sales tax on the monthly payment. I get bored with the same vehicle after about 2 years.
Old 01-01-08, 11:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I'm still glad to be here and not have to deal with all the road salt and slop that they love to waste on the roads back there when there is any chance of snow in the forecast. Sounds like the best thing to do out here is to lease a car for 2-3 years since then I would only be paying sales tax on the monthly payment. I get bored with the same vehicle after about 2 years.
yup, i also think a 3-4 yr old car is the "sweet" spot, first owners take most of the hit and you still get a pretty "new" car