CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Anyone in Los Angeles willing to help me Seafoam my car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-08, 07:00 PM
McMuffin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone in Los Angeles willing to help me Seafoam my car?

Hey guys, i know you're probably rolling your eyes right now because of how easy the procedure is to seafoam a car, but I really don't trust myself since I'm a DIY retard.

So I was wondering, is there anyone in the korea town part of Los Angeles willing to help me seafoam my car? I would drive to you of course, and maybe shoot you a few bucks for the help.
Old 01-11-08, 07:03 PM
Kosoku4lfe
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does seafoaming mean??
Old 01-11-08, 07:05 PM
McMuffin
Rookie

Seafoam is a liquid product that comes in a can that is supposed to help remove carbon build up in the engine IIRC.
Old 01-11-08, 07:37 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its very simple. ill explain the best that i can without pics.

wait...

there is a video of this process for 3rd gen es' which is identical to the 2nd gen es.

if youre confused, its a vacuum tube that connects to the brake booster. the brake booster is that big round thing with a resorvoir attached to it on the drivers side firewall. it is rather large. and you should see a vacuum tube coming from the brake booster snaked along the firewall approximately 3/4-1" thickness. disconnect it, put plug your finger over it as your car will die, pour 1/3 of seafoam into disposable cup and drop the tube into the liquid while the car is running. it will suck it all up. while it is sucking up, your car should want to die, so use another hand for the throttle cable, or have a buddy give it a little gas.

watch the video, im sure it explains everything. i havent yet seenn it, but ive already known how to do this years ago.

goodluck
Charley
Old 01-11-08, 07:39 PM
cnstarz
Driver School Candidate

dude, you cant really go wrong with seafoam. it's literally like this:

* with the car off, pour a can into your gas tank
* pour 1/3 can into a cup. with the car on, unplug the brake booster line(just pull it off the rail, not the engine, no tools required;its a black rubber tube that goes from the back left corner of your engine into a rail that runs along the top of the back wall of your engine compartment, just underneath the windshield wipers) and quickly plug the end with your thumb. then put the end into the cup of seafoam and let it suck it all up. your car might stall. if it stalls while sucking the stuff up, plug the end of the brake booster line back, just start the engine back back up and suck the remainder of the stuff thru the brake booster again using the same method as described. once it's all gone, quickly plug the end of the line with your thumb again, and plug it back into the rail. turn the car off and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. then turn the car back on and let it sit in park until all the white smoke disappears. once it starts going away, take it for a spin and really floor the engine into the 5k-6k rpm range. do this until the smoke is gone completely.
* with the car on, pour 1/3 can into your oil crank(not where you typically add oil during an oil change). there is a cap on your engine to allow for this, it'll have an oil picture on it and it'll say "Oil" on it. let the car sit there in park for 10 minutes. then immediately get your oil changed. you can drive the car for a short distance, but dont go on a long trip.
Old 01-11-08, 07:53 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

although cnstarz is pretty much correct. youre not supposed to rev your engine that high. you probably WILL damage your spark plugs. as i did with mine revved to about 4-5k by accident once and it seriously fouled every plug and broke the tips off of them. just make sure you get 1/3 in, and shutoff and let it sit for about 10mins. then start car back up and let it idle, it will take awhile, so i usually idle for about 10mins then take it for a LIGHT spin around the block.

charley
Old 01-11-08, 07:59 PM
cnstarz
Driver School Candidate

hmmmm, on other threads, i read that you should take your car for a heavy ride until the smoke goes away. worked for me anyway.
Old 01-11-08, 08:32 PM
McMuffin
Rookie

2 things...

after the liquid gets sucked up by the brake booster line, can i turn off the car and then plug in the line, or is it mandatory i plug the booster line in before i shut off the car...

and #2... i still have no idea where this hose is... I have a 98 ES300 btw, so if someone could provide a pic or something that'd be very very useful.

if pic can't be provided... i will take a picture of my engine bay tomorrow
Old 01-12-08, 02:24 AM
smokesgtp
Driver

I've always let it in throught the brake booster line, about half the can, thrown the other half in the tank. I wouldn't put anything in the crankcase but oil no matter what anyone says. let it suck some up for a minute or so and let it stall out, let it sit for 5 or 10 min then drive the **** out of it for a half hour or so till it stops smoking. Change the plugs afterward if you feel the need. As these guys said it can foul them.
Old 01-12-08, 07:09 AM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SZf4WXwVL_E

there you go
Old 01-12-08, 11:09 AM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

the line is about 3/4" - 1" in diameter, it rides pretty much on the top of the firewall. you should miss it.

look at the brake booster(big round thing with brake fluid resorvoir connected to it on the drivers side firewall in the engine bay) look to the left of near the top of the firewall(standing in front of the engine bay) you should see a bracket screwed into the top of the firewall with a hose(3/4"-1") connected to it. on this hose there should be little white plug connect to the brake booster. disconnect at the white hose fitting and use this part to suck in your seafoam. so make sure its the hose that goes to the engine.
watch the video, it should be in there.

Charley
Old 01-13-08, 01:00 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

I'd put this in the SoCal section for more positive feedback.
Old 01-13-08, 01:53 PM
McMuffin
Rookie

Alright guys, have I properly identified the Brake Booster Line? Here's a picture

If this is the correct line, how do I go about removing it?
Old 01-15-08, 02:24 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by charley240
although cnstarz is pretty much correct. youre not supposed to rev your engine that high. you probably WILL damage your spark plugs. as i did with mine revved to about 4-5k by accident once and it seriously fouled every plug and broke the tips off of them.
It's ideal to seafoam your car right before a tune-up, as you will have to change out the spark plugs regardless.
Old 01-15-08, 03:31 PM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hrasAYG42g

watch

Quick Reply: Anyone in Los Angeles willing to help me Seafoam my car?