CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

visiting cali from NELOC

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-08 | 05:26 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

Default visiting cali from NELOC

wsup guys, im a fellow owner of a 2gs out in NY, and i just booked my spring break to visit cali, specifically the LA area, but i'm staying in Carson, like 15miles from downtown LA.

Any recommendations of what's interesting and fun to do in LA and the surrounding area, for the short time I'mma be there? It's a 6 day and 5 night visit, but it will be cut short to about 5 days and 4 nights, due to my flight arriving in LA at 9:30pm and not being able to pick up my rental car in beverly hills until 9am sunday morning. But anyway, gimme a head's up on wat to do and where to go in the LA area. Much appreciated, thanks!
Old 02-22-08 | 06:00 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

What do you want to do?

You wanna go party and go clubbing? Are you more into the arts? Shopaholic? Are you into quirky eateries? You want to be with the all the tourists, or do you want to hang out with the locals?

Tell me when you're coming, and we can get something set up. I live only 5 minutes away from Carson...
Old 02-22-08 | 06:02 PM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

Welcome bro! I would definitely recommend going to Rodeo Drive just so that you can say you did so . Also the beaches might be a nice place to hit, namely Newport and Santa Monica.
Old 02-22-08 | 06:03 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

i say hang out w/ the locals...

say, your west coast counterparts?

(*hint* mini-meet *hint*)
Old 02-22-08 | 06:13 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by tommyjaix
.....flight arriving in LA at 9:30pm and not being able to pick up my rental car in beverly hills until 9am sunday morning.
Why go all the way to Beverly Hills to pick up rental? You can do that right from the airport - there's a bunch of rental car places all around LAX.

But yeah, mini meet time!
Old 02-23-08 | 08:22 AM
is300rr
Driver School Candidate

AsianGirl007 is right, you can pick up the rental from LAX. ive made arrangements for that as well, from Midway , its about $50 to rental a car the size of a corolla and thats for a total of 3 days.

What days will you be there? ill be visiting pretty much the same area as you, feb29 - mar3.
Old 02-23-08 | 07:08 PM
HyperSC
Rookie

I'll be in LA area as well... near the 405 freeway... exit Cranshew...
Want to see a mini meet around the area. Thanx
Old 02-27-08 | 02:49 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

mini-meet would be awesome, im thinking bout going clubbing on the very first night I get there. Right on Saturday night (3/15), my girl and I will wanna hit up some LA club, so i need some recommendations on that. As for the rest of the time there, its just straight chillin' maybe check out disneyland and such, visit a few beaches, get a nice tan. I will definitely be down for a mini-meet, except I'll probly be rolling thru in a Chevy Aveo rental lmao. Oh and the reason for the rental in Bev. Hills, is cuz we're arriving on saturday night 3/15 at 9:30PM PST. Most rental places are closed and they're also closed on Sundays so I had no choice, and the airport rental fees are insane for me cuz im 22yrs old and they also charge a "tourism" fee of $40-60. basically, they were trying to charge me $300+ for a 5day rental. I mean, I'm down for a nice cheap rental from a convenient branch out in the LAX area where my flight will be landing. Can anyone hook me up with that or point me into the right direction for a nice cheap rental in LAX area?
Old 02-27-08 | 02:52 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

I'm down for a nice cheap rental from a convenient branch out in the LAX area where my flight will be landing. Can anyone hook me up with that?
Have you checked Travelocity.com? Expedia? Orbitz?

They can have great car rental deals at times...
Old 02-27-08 | 03:00 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

yeah, i checked those and the deals were awesome but they only cater to driver age 25+, me being 22 and in the 21-24 range would have to purchase the car rental separate from my package =/
Old 02-27-08 | 03:39 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

actually i just booked something from payless car rental hope its cheaper!
Old 02-27-08 | 03:45 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Tommy and Ian, I posted a Mini-Meet for Saturday, March 15th, at 1PM.
Old 02-27-08 | 05:13 PM
juiSCee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Tommy and Ian, I posted a Mini-Meet for Saturday, March 15th, at 1PM.
Phil, I think tommy posted that he will be arriving at 9.30p on 3/15. But Im still down for a mini-meet!! Finally, something kind of close to my house! haha

As for car rentals, try Dollar rental, they have a branch over at LAX, the only thing is that Im not sure if they have a 25+ rental thing too.
Old 02-27-08 | 06:54 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

thx for the info, I went with payless car rental over at LAX, they were offering a chevy aveo for $11/day, so affter taxes and everything the 5 day rental should come up to roughly $80 then add the $20/day for underage, so its about $180. Should be good. Enterprise at bev hills was charging $150/day but I wasnt sure if they calculated the underage fee as well. Anyway, I still have a feeling I'm going to get screwed over at the rental counter and end up paying $200+

another question: insurance for the rental car, yes or no? lol
Old 02-27-08 | 09:41 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

another question: insurance for the rental car, yes or no? lol
If you have comprehensive insurance on your car, don't buy it. Unless if your co-pay sucks...

Personally, I like paying for the incidental insurance: it's about $10 a day, and it covers small things like dents, scratches, cracked windshields, and such. It doesn't cover accidents, but at least you won't have to worry about the "small things".

Quick Reply: visiting cali from NELOC