CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Windshield replacement (NOT repair) recommendations...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-08 | 08:43 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Default Windshield replacement (NOT repair) recommendations...

My brother's ES350 has a creeping crack in the windshield that has migrated from the border to the center of the windshield.

Other than the dealership, where can he get it replaced?
Old 03-15-08 | 09:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

first of all, if there is no chip along the crack, that's a stress crack, it's under warranty

and if not dealership, of course it depends on factory glass or aftermarket? search post by pearlpower in the sc430 forum about his windshield replacement. he recommended some
Old 03-15-08 | 09:12 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by rominl
first of all, if there is no chip along the crack, that's a stress crack, it's under warranty
Actually, you can tell that there is an origin, most likely due to a rock chip.

I don't think it'll be covered by warranty...
Old 03-15-08 | 09:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

ouch yeah in that case, no go phil
Old 03-15-08 | 10:29 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

yea actually i need a place too, i put cold water on my hot windshield one day the glass instantly cracked from bottom all the way to top. my mom even warned me not to do it.
Old 03-15-08 | 10:53 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

I took the RX400h to get the front windshield replaced when a rock hit the top of the windshield right below the metal. That started a crack that went down at least 2 ft... But changed it for $390 with installation. The glass was OEM "quality" glass, so it wasn't from Lexus cuz those cost a lot more! like almost 1k The place I will list below.

Good luck!

D&R Auto Glass (Ask for Dario)
626-585-9835
2716 E. Colorado Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91107

(The address is actually the corner Shell Gas Station, but it is right next to it. Where a small Seidners Collision Center is.)

Last edited by CrazyMPG; 03-16-08 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-15-08 | 10:58 PM
BLovesc
Pole Position

If its not too far from you in the pick a part in Ontario there is a place called 7 dayauto glass. they do good work and i dont think too many places can beat their prices
Old 03-16-08 | 12:17 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
I took the RX400h to get the front windshield replaced when a rock hit the top of the windshield right below the metal. That started a crack that went down at least 2 ft... But changed it for $390 with installation. The glass was OEM glass, so it wasn't from Lexus cuz those cost a lot more! like almost 1k The place I will list below.

Good luck!

D&R Auto Glass (Ask for Dario)
626-585-9835
2716 E. Colorado Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91107

(The address is actually the corner Shell Gas Station, but it is right next to it. Where a small Seidners Collision Center is.)
doesnt sound like u got actual Toy/Lex-made OEM glass, the list price for that is $1600 and even carson's price is just over 1200
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

im pretty sure u got "OEM QUALITY!" glass..
Old 03-16-08 | 01:34 AM
labrealiv
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl

and if not dealership, of course it depends on factory glass or aftermarket? search post by pearlpower in the sc430 forum about his windshield replacement. he recommended some
Is it lifetime warranty or usual 6-yr/70k mi.?

Also repeat of my 2 pennies from a few questions ago:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=341726

Originally Posted by labrealiv
have car insurance??!

If repairable, most insurance will waive deductible.

Glass gets sanded down or such. The repair folks are mobile + will show up at your home, work, etc. You can get names from insurance co. Prices pretty similar if you go that route, minus deductible - if damage not repairable.

Call adjustor + ask. Can't hurt, especially if all you're after is info.

G.L.
Old 03-16-08 | 01:39 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
doesnt sound like u got actual Toy/Lex-made OEM glass, the list price for that is $1600 and even carson's price is just over 1200
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

im pretty sure u got "OEM QUALITY!" glass..
Yea...it was OEM quality glass because a real Lexus branded one will cost a whole lot more. Although it could be the same glass manufacture that makes glass for Lexus but just branded it their name to make it OEM? heh...always confused about OEM...lol But anyways...the glass does the job and I don't think it's worth it to buy glass over 1k when it can chip again and crack...
Old 03-16-08 | 02:03 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Don't buy cheap glass! It'll randomly crack all of a sudden and cause more problems...as I, and my dad found out...
Old 03-16-08 | 09:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by labrealiv
Is it lifetime warranty or usual 6-yr/70k mi.?

Also repeat of my 2 pennies from a few questions ago:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=341726
it's under normal 4yr/50k warranty on stress cracks

some insurance might not have effect, but i know cases where they replace the glass but later on raise the premium
Old 03-18-08 | 04:41 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

UPDATE:

Called the Lexus Dealership. Front windshield and installation is $1500!!! They said because of the rain sensor, no one can replace/repair it except for the dealership.

Called D&R Auto Glass, and they also said that they can't do it because of the rain sensor. Oh well.

My brother has to spend $500 for the deductible for insurance to cover it, and will go with the dealership for repairs. Too bad -- he was planning to use that money for a little vacay...
Old 03-18-08 | 04:57 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
UPDATE:

Called the Lexus Dealership. Front windshield and installation is $1500!!! They said because of the rain sensor, no one can replace/repair it except for the dealership.

Called D&R Auto Glass, and they also said that they can't do it because of the rain sensor. Oh well.

My brother has to spend $500 for the deductible for insurance to cover it, and will go with the dealership for repairs. Too bad -- he was planning to use that money for a little vacay...
they couldn't do it because of the rain sensor?...weird...cuz the RX400h has rain sensor too and they repaired it with no problem...
Old 03-18-08 | 06:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

yeah, that sounds weird. i was talking to a shop and they said they could do it on cars with rain sensors, they just need to get the special glass (more expensive)

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement (NOT repair) recommendations...