CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

g/f was in a small accident - Need insurance advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-08, 12:49 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default g/f was in a small accident - Need insurance advice

My g/f was in a small accident (not her fault). She calls the other parties insurance company. They agreed that its not her fault which is good. I told her to take her car and get an estimate. She went to a very reputable body shop (Solesbee in Yorba linda) that is AAA, Mercury, State Farm, etc Certified. The estimate total was $1,400.

She calls National Insurance (the parties at fault insurance company) and they said they need to have their Insurance Company make a estimate. I said fine. He comes and makes an estimate of only $800!! Totally lowballing the price. She needs a new front bumper and fender.

The adjuster said that he can write me a check for $700 right now. OR I can take it into Solesbee and they will pay them the full amount of the estimate.

Here is the problem. We MIGHT give her car to her Niece so we just want a check send to us for $1,400 the total of the estimate that Solesbee wrote us.

He is telling me that they can't do that, blah, blah, blah. He can only give me $700 which is not an acurrate estimate at all.

So what do I do. I know legally I'm entilted to that $1,400 from them even if I decide not to fix the car at all.

What should I tell him when I call the adjuster up?

Last edited by gsrthomas; 03-20-08 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-20-08, 01:01 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

The $700 sounds to be preliminary amount until they can justify the actual damages. What the body shop wrote is probably inflated. Unless you told them it's going through an insurance company, they will write the estimate at their posted shop rate. Plus they will write for items "they assume" are damaged.

As for the other insurance company, make sure they are not using aftermarket replacement parts. A lot of small or cheap insurance companies will cut corners and cost by using aftermarket. They are parts usually made in China or Taiwan.

As for being entitled to anything, you're only entitled to damages that were cause of the loss. So if the adjuster only saw $700 worth of damages, that's all you're going to get until the car goes in for a full teardown. If you don't like their estimate, use your own insurance carrier. You pay them a premium every year for a reason.
Old 03-20-08, 01:07 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
The $700 sounds to be preliminary amount until they can justify the actual damages. What the body shop wrote is probably inflated. Unless you told them it's going through an insurance company, they will write the estimate at their posted shop rate. Plus they will write for items "they assume" are damaged.

As for the other insurance company, make sure they are not using aftermarket replacement parts. A lot of small or cheap insurance companies will cut corners and cost by using aftermarket. They are parts usually made in China or Taiwan.

As for being entitled to anything, you're only entitled to damages that were cause of the loss. So if the adjuster only saw $700 worth of damages, that's all you're going to get until the car goes in for a full teardown. If you don't like their estimate, use your own insurance carrier. You pay them a premium every year for a reason.
I know that Solesbee gives discounts for insurance companies on their parts/labor. Should I go back and tell them to give me another estimate with the discounted rate that they give insurance companies? I know Solesbee only uses oem parts.

I know for a fact that $700 is way low. There is only surface damage. Front Bumper is dented in and the left fender is kind of dented also.

My Acura Integra went in there two years ago just for a new front bumper and that alone was $800, and that was the final amount that AAA paid.
Old 03-20-08, 01:12 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

If the damages are small, bumpers and fenders can be repaired. I'm betting the adjuster put repair time on the fender and either repair or recondition for the bumper. All body shops will use aftermarket or used parts depending on what the insurance company writes on their estimate and pays for.
Old 03-20-08, 01:35 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I do not understand why the insurance company has no problem giving Solesbee $1400 to fix the car but wont write me a check for $1400????
Old 03-20-08, 01:55 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

It's the insurance carrier's option to repair or replace things related to the loss. Cashing out for the repairs is not an option sometimes. The money is there to repair the car, not to pocket it.
Old 03-20-08, 02:01 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
It's the insurance carrier's option to repair or replace things related to the loss. Cashing out for the repairs is not an option sometimes. The money is there to repair the car, not to pocket it.
I don't think that is right. I'm legally entitled to that money regardless if I want to pocket it or repair my car. I'm at a loss, my car is damaged and I have to be compensated for it regardless. The insurance company cannot tell me what to do with that money, they shouldn't even care.

Last edited by gsrthomas; 03-20-08 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-20-08, 02:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

you are compensated for the damage of the car. if you think you are entitled to mental loss or usage loss (besides rental car), you can always choose to sue, no one is stopping you from that.

and i am sorry, but that's their money to repair your car, so they should care. if you are indeed getting your car to your niece for repair, you can simply tell the other insurance that this "person" is going to repair your car and they can deal with HIM about the payment, etc... money goes to the niece, person who repairs the car
Old 03-20-08, 02:15 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

It all depends on what your contractual agreement is with your own insurance carrier or the other carrier's internal policies and limits. It's up to the other carrier's descretion of how much they pay you based on their guidelines and procedures. If anything, the other carrier has to pay you directly for the damages, which they have already offered to do so.