CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

3 Arrested, 20 Cars Seized In Street Racing Bust (Riverside/MoVal)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-08, 12:03 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts
Default 3 Arrested, 20 Cars Seized In Street Racing Bust (Riverside/MoVal)

http://cbs2.com/local/Riverside.Stre....2.687707.html

3 Arrested, 20 Cars Seized In Street Racing Bust
RIVERSIDE, Calif. Three people were arrested, 100 citations issued and 20 cars were impounded after more than 150 street racers were corralled early Saturday morning by nearly 100 police officers at a shopping center near Moreno Valley.

Police checked the more than 150 cars and impounded 20 of them, Riverside police spokesman Steven Frasher said in a statement. One of the impounded cars had a stolen engine and transmission, while another 14 had altered engines or identification information.

The citations issued were for vehicle code violations. Another 48 citations were issued for illegal engine modifications common in street racing.

Racers had been tearing up the streets for the past several Friday nights at Canyon Crossing, 6187 Valley Springs Parkway, Frasher said. The shopping center is within the Riverside city limits next to Moreno Valley. The crackdown was conducted by a multi-agency task force.

One arrest was for speed exhibition, one for resisting arrest and the third for being drunk in public.

"We want to send a powerful message that street racing will not be tolerated," Riverside police Sgt. Skip Showalter said in a release.
Old 03-31-08, 01:13 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PHR-UjdlZsA

i dunno why Riverside seems to be a popular city for street racers..
Old 03-31-08, 01:36 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imagine the positive response the community would have if the police actually concentrated an effort like this on crime, murder, rape, and other sorts of injustice.

It would be front page news across the country! Instead they pop street racers, make 1 valid arrest, and slap the rest with cvc violations...

I have to admit though, it is nice to send these guys a powerful message.

Last edited by emoshun; 03-31-08 at 01:42 AM.
Old 03-31-08, 02:00 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm...I should paint my engine bay and make it look pretty then take it there and see how much they know

Stock ES ftw

Bastard news team showing a seemingly stock evo driven by some emo-looking kid. Crap load of propaganda right there >_<
Old 03-31-08, 02:03 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

imagine if you have a test in 45 mins and rushing to school...what a day...
Old 03-31-08, 02:17 AM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet they were getting up to 15-20mph in that parking lot.

4 deaths that "could" be contributed to street racing.

You have to love they way the cops twist the so called facts. 4 deaths OMG I could be next.

4 deaths have got to be pretty low for an extreme sport.

Ever notice that the crashes from street racing always involve some car that doesn't handle well.

Last edited by TecnoSmurf; 03-31-08 at 02:20 AM.
Old 03-31-08, 08:16 AM
Jay
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by emoshun
Imagine the positive response the community would have if the police actually concentrated an effort like this on crime, murder, rape, and other sorts of injustice.

It would be front page news across the country! Instead they pop street racers, make 1 valid arrest, and slap the rest with cvc violations...

I have to admit though, it is nice to send these guys a powerful message.
110% agree !!! As you can see their priority lists !!! ALL boils down to "MONEY" !! 150 citations+ ??
Old 03-31-08, 11:22 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

street racing bad...tracking or drag strip good...
Old 03-31-08, 12:56 PM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

Wow that is wack. One time I was getting gas in Ontario after coming home from a friends house. I wanted to avoid that area on the weekends (this was like 3-4 years ago) but I needed gas pretty badly, so I got off the exit...and there it was...100+ cars at the mobil gas station. I was driving my friends NSX at that time..so it didn't look good on the cops. The cops came rushing in, blocked off all exits and started giving out citations and towing cars away. And yes, I was pulled out the car and questioned, opened the engine cover, searched the whole car, ran my background, and was stuck there until 4am in the morning when I got the gas at 11:30pm.
Old 03-31-08, 01:18 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that's crazy. while i understand the reasoning to some degree, there have to be more harmful things the police can prevent than some kids racing. i've participated in those kinds of events here and we always did it on a back road out in the fields, no sidestreets, nobody involved who didn't want to be.
it's just easier and more profitable for them to make a big "bust" like this than do actual police work.
Old 03-31-08, 11:47 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as someone who has been around this for a long time, the news always twists stuff to make it more news worthy. this is nothing new, they always do this for every story they run racing or not. on another hand street racing is never a good thing. i;ve seen people who have gotten injured in illegal street racing. If you truly want to race your car, you should take it to the track. and 19psi, good to hear that at least where you've raced in the past there are places where there are no sidestreets, etc. Out here in so cal, the dumb kids always race in areas that might be deserted, but are on public roads that have other cars on them. Plus, people around here have it easy nowadays. The police are a lot better now, if anyone remembers back to the 90's when just having your car lowered or having clear turn signals would get you pulled over by every police department in town. back then there were only a few tracks to even race on and they were far away. man kids these days.
Old 04-01-08, 04:11 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i guess we have it good for one thing around here, lots of open space remains!
Old 04-02-08, 09:54 PM
Mcduck
Driver School Candidate

I think the news people and the police can be so stupid. I live near Mo-val and have even been to that exact location more a couple of times. 80% of the people there don't even race they just park and gather to look at each others vehicles. It sucks that it happened though, some people probably just came to hang out and now get stuck with violations. I in no way condone street racing, but at the same time you would think they would be trying to hunt down the thousands of meth labs in the I.E. (Inland Empire) as opposed to all of these Parking Lot racers. Just my 2 dimes.
Old 04-03-08, 02:53 PM
autopaul
Driver School Candidate

Default Another news story

This one shows more of the raid and the people who were caught.

http://www.instantriverside.com/rive...rs/2008/03/29/
Old 04-03-08, 03:10 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

is it just me, or does it seem like this thing was just a publicity stunt? i mean, impounding cars and fix-it tickets? three arrests, and two of them being non-street-racing-related?

i don't condone street racing, but our public dollars can be better spent in other areas. last time i checked, street racing was the least of anyone's concerns...

Quick Reply: 3 Arrested, 20 Cars Seized In Street Racing Bust (Riverside/MoVal)