CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Just came back from Fontana today...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-08, 10:57 PM
shinbrianj
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the course today was different from the one in the pics, i ran a 24.485 with a full tank of gas, i wish the gas would have been at a 1/4 tank and the tires weren't bald!!!
Old 06-01-08, 11:21 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z

In one GS run I got a 26.666 <
amazing...

Hey Joe, we crossed paths too many times over the past 2 days.

Sorry we had to leave rather abruptly from Jay's BBQ, i didn't get to say goodbye to a lot of people.

Do note I held the undisputed record for driving the stock GS at 24.9

When I was in line to drive the autocross, I asked to drive the F-Sport IS, but the guy was kind of a #%@?

I really wanted to know what I would of done in the IS350.

I guess you , me, Javier and Rolo will have to settle this next time doing go-karting.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-01-08 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-01-08, 11:38 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am jealous...
Old 06-02-08, 08:50 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

What gifts did you get for the paid one?
Old 06-02-08, 12:41 PM
mteator
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shinbrianj
and the tires weren't bald!!!
Less tread is better.
Old 06-02-08, 12:45 PM
mteator
Driver School Candidate

I'd really like to go and flog the IS-F but a short 22 second course with tons of cones and a lead-follow that you have to stay behind other drivers just sounds frustrating. There may be a spot opening up in Atlanta for the half day when I cancel mine.
Old 06-02-08, 01:26 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mteator
I'd really like to go and flog the IS-F but a short 22 second course with tons of cones and a lead-follow that you have to stay behind other drivers just sounds frustrating. There may be a spot opening up in Atlanta for the half day when I cancel mine.
I was there on Saturday for the freebie session and we got to drive the IS F on a real road track, the autoX-look-a-like tracks are only for the IS350, GS460/450h. I understand that lead-follow can be frustrating at times and that's why you should try to get in the first car behind the instructor. I was lucky that I got in the second car and the one in front of me was my friend who happens to be a track junky so I really enjoyed my 2 laps in the IS F.
Old 06-02-08, 01:52 PM
DrShoe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ffpower
I was there on Saturday for the freebie session and we got to drive the IS F on a real road track, the autoX-look-a-like tracks are only for the IS350, GS460/450h. I understand that lead-follow can be frustrating at times and that's why you should try to get in the first car behind the instructor. I was lucky that I got in the second car and the one in front of me was my friend who happens to be a track junky so I really enjoyed my 2 laps in the IS F.
I unknowingly got into the last IS-F following the instructor and since it was my first time on a track, I drove slower than others and ended up a good distance behind them. However, since I had a good amount of space between me and the IS-F in front of me - I just floored the car several times to narrow the gap.

Since I was in a small group, I was able to drive the IS-F for 4 laps around the track The exhaust really comes alive after 70-80 mph - I'm not really sure as I didn't get a good look at the speedometer when I was gunning it.
Old 06-02-08, 02:52 PM
mteator
Driver School Candidate

Can you turn off traction control/vdim?

Last edited by mteator; 06-02-08 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-02-08, 03:18 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

I don't see why not but I think it's recommended that to leave on the VDIM sport mode. Even on the sport mode I managed to get the car sideways couple times and it was fun to do so.
Old 06-02-08, 03:28 PM
mteator
Driver School Candidate

I was hoping for the half day you'd have an instructor in the car that would let you drive to your ability (like an HPDE) and not the lowest capability of those in your group.

I don't mean this to be down on anyone going slower, everyone needs to drive within their abilities and start somewhere... I just don't want you in my way

Last edited by mteator; 06-02-08 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-02-08, 04:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I was hoping for the half day you'd have an instructor in the car that would let you drive to your ability (like an HPDE) and not the lowest capability of those in your group.

I don't mean this to be down on anyone going slower, everyone needs to drive within their abilities and start somewhere... I just don't want you in my way
that's one thing i wished they could provide in the paid session -- 1 on 1 instructor. they can tell you exactly what you are doing wrong and and what you are missing. rather than following a slow driver in your group, or in my case i know i was the slowest in the group and was stressed about catching up
Old 06-02-08, 04:20 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

This event rocks! I had a real blast with the whole event. Carry on Lexus! I know I have some "American cars only" folks who were convinced that Lexus is going to be their next car.
Old 06-03-08, 12:41 PM
rzrscutr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
When I was in line to drive the autocross, I asked to drive the F-Sport IS, but the guy was kind of a #%@?
It's tough to get everyone in the car they want. I doubt he was trying to be a #%@, he was trying to be fair to everyone. I'm sure you at least got the same amount of laps out as everyone else

Originally Posted by rominl
that's one thing i wished they could provide in the paid session -- 1 on 1 instructor. they can tell you exactly what you are doing wrong and and what you are missing. rather than following a slow driver in your group, or in my case i know i was the slowest in the group and was stressed about catching up
Depending on the size of the group this was possible. With extremely large groups it's just not possible to give everyone the same amount of attention, so it's usually avoided. Hopefully you still got something out of it.

There really isn't a need to. Turning the systems off on the short autocross wouldn't have gained a thing. You would spend most of your time fighting the horsepower and less time focusing on driving the car and ultimately turn a slower lap. Turning it off on the road course wouldn't have done a bit of good either.

The VDIM system performs great in spirited driving situations and is really non-intrusive...unless you do something stupid!
Old 06-03-08, 01:08 PM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

here are my pics from the event:

http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...nce%20Academy/

Quick Reply: Just came back from Fontana today...