CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Speed Factory in City of Industry

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-08, 06:45 PM
Fat Felix
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Factory in City of Industry

Cliff notes at bottom.

So I needed an alignment and to get my transmission fluid changed so I decided to try them out again. Made an appointment for Saturday morning, and had the car there a little bit before 10.

I described what I wanted out of the alignment and that I also brought 2 quarts of the toyota type 4 transmission fluid for my gs300. I asked if I can pick up the car around noon, and was told no problem as long as its before 5.

I missed a few calls I get from them and finally get around to calling them back at 11:50. Told me that I don't have enough transmission fluid because my car should take at least 4 or 5 quarts since even motorcycle trannys take 2. Wow, what great logic there! Ok, so I asked them if they double checked if thats right, in which they replied that they did. So I said fine, go ahead and order however many quarts the car is supposed to take.

I call again at 12:45 to see if I can pick up the car soon, in which I'm told that car will be ready in about half an hour. I get there in about 45 minutes to find that that they're on a test drive. Thats cool since I thought they were making sure that the alignment is that great.

Erroneous, the mechanic comes back and is kinda just lounging around only to find that they haven't even started on the alignment.

So the car has been at the shop for about 4 hours (it was about 2pm by the time I left), they put almost 4 quarts of trans fluid in my car even though the owner's manual states 2.5 quarts, and alignment has not even been started.

Granted, I brought half a quart less of trans fluid which lagged them a bit, but I think it's not that great of an excuse. On top of all this, they were a bit rude and condescending when I asked them a few times about the trans fluid.

So I will not be going back to Speed Factory nor would I recommend anyone going there until at least the owner, Shaun, comes back from Taiwan. I'm friends with the previous co-owner of Speed Factory, and Shaun has continued to provide great service. I dont know if it's just his absence or if they just plain suck now, but something is definitely wrong.

Cliff notes: Made an appointment with Speed Factory for alignment and transmission fluid change. Car spent 4 hours at the shop, alignment never happened, but got the transmission fluid changed (filled my transmission with way too much fluid), as well as rude and crappy service. Highly recommend not going there.
Old 07-19-08, 08:45 PM
Downfall75
Lead Lap

I've heard many bad things about Speed Factory as well..
Old 07-19-08, 09:14 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Felix, next time call me before you go there, I'll make sure your stuff is done correctly...
Old 07-19-08, 10:03 PM
Fat Felix
Pole Position

Hey Jon, do you recommend them over PAE? Because I think I'll be going there on Monday to fix the **** that Speed Factory did.. or do you have another recommendation?
Old 07-19-08, 10:24 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zephyr
Felix, next time call me before you go there, I'll make sure your stuff is done correctly...
wow, sounds like a excerpt from the Godfather or other gangster movie irregardless, thats some CL love
Old 07-19-08, 11:36 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fat Felix
Hey Jon, do you recommend them over PAE? Because I think I'll be going there on Monday to fix the **** that Speed Factory did.. or do you have another recommendation?
Ya go to PAE, Sam or Pete there can take care of ya, I don't know if you know Kenny, but that's his second shop. Highly recommended. I'll let Sean know about your experience though.
Old 07-19-08, 11:38 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
wow, sounds like a excerpt from the Godfather or other gangster movie irregardless, thats some CL love
I go to a lot of shops, and I like to make sure friends are getting the respect for their dollar! Hahaha, good shops are hard to come by these days, but I have a list that I have filtered out.
Old 07-20-08, 12:45 AM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you wait a couple weeks Albert from The Wheel Supply is installing the state of the art alignment rack at his shop. It's the latest laser rack which he dropped 100k for.
Old 07-20-08, 01:24 PM
Fat Felix
Pole Position

Hey Jon, yea definitely let Sean know about this crap. They also charged me for the transmission fluid I didn't need and offered me ridiculous excuses for having too much fluid such as, "well i've seen several cars run ok with 1.5 quarts of engine oil." Yea.. I made a mistake of not just sticking with Kenny's shop.