CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Recommendation for autoshop

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08, 12:25 AM
sungyc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendation for autoshop

Hi,

I just ordered a F-sport exhaust from sewell this past weekend, very excited about getting it on since this is my 1st mod.. XD... Should receive the package on thursday and really wanna installed it on friday...Does anyone have any recommendations for autoshops around Irvine? and how much it would cost normally?? Any good experiences from dealer? good price maybe??

also, kind of late now, but just curious.. this should be legal in CA right?? since they sell it from dealers, and the websites say that it "complies with established sound level standards"

thanks!

Last edited by sungyc; 07-29-08 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-29-08, 12:40 AM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This will probably get moved to the socal section...

MusicBox in So. El Monte by Tommy will be highly recommended by everyone.
626 823-2853

But for an exhaust you can install it yourself fairly easily.
Old 07-29-08, 12:49 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

yes the f-sport exhaust is an axleback so no cats were affected (unless there's a cat in the axleback that i should know about). the exhaust is 100% legal in all 50 states however it is relatively loud. though legal, the police may still pull you over and ask for documentation. if you do not have proper documentation, the cop may give you a fix it ticket which you can have appealed by the court. it's just extra time on your hands if that should happen. in that case make sure you get proper documentation to prove it's legal and if not, i believe the court can write you up something for future cops to pull you over.

my advice to you is to actually install it yourself. it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes (hour tops since you're new and you'll end up being VERYYYY careful). it's just removing bolts, taking out the exhaust then install the new one. simple. but if you are scared, any shop can do it for you. i'm from massachusetts so i can't recommend you any but any decent shop can install it. if they're not busy you can even watch them or read a magazine and they'll be done before you know it.
Old 07-29-08, 12:50 AM
sungyc
Rookie

Thanks, but El monte is a bit too far.. ^__^;; i was thinking about maybe like within 30 min driving distant, maybe in Costa Mesa, Tustin, Santa Ana, Orange or places like that... and.. i dont know how to move to socal section..@_@.. sorry..>_< (anyone wants to teach me?)
Old 07-29-08, 12:55 AM
sungyc
Rookie

Originally Posted by kuuqi
yes the f-sport exhaust is an axleback so no cats were affected (unless there's a cat in the axleback that i should know about). the exhaust is 100% legal in all 50 states however it is relatively loud. though legal, the police may still pull you over and ask for documentation. if you do not have proper documentation, the cop may give you a fix it ticket which you can have appealed by the court. it's just extra time on your hands if that should happen. in that case make sure you get proper documentation to prove it's legal and if not, i believe the court can write you up something for future cops to pull you over.

my advice to you is to actually install it yourself. it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes (hour tops since you're new and you'll end up being VERYYYY careful). it's just removing bolts, taking out the exhaust then install the new one. simple. but if you are scared, any shop can do it for you. i'm from massachusetts so i can't recommend you any but any decent shop can install it. if they're not busy you can even watch them or read a magazine and they'll be done before you know it.
O thanks!! but how do i get the documentations to show it is legal?? do they ship with the package? or ....??

About installing myself...i dont even have the tools i think...my house barely have any tools...=__=...

if i sounded stupid.. sorry about that.. im too new to this..>_<
Old 07-29-08, 05:47 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

haha. it's okay, i guess if you don't have any tools (all you really need is a torque wrench and maybe a hammer if your bolts are rusted out) you're out of luck for a self install. do any of your friends have tools or experience? still cheaper than going to the shop. you can decide what to do on the install.

as for documentation, i'm sure a local inspection shop can run you a smog test after install to show it's legal. they can then provide you with documentation that it's legal. also if they ship anything to you that states it's a legal OEM part, you should just keep that in your car as well with the smog test papers. you can also ask your local dealer to see if they can provide anything. that way you'll have sources that state it's CARB legal and the cop won't give you a ticket. and again if he does, go to court and have it appealed.
Old 07-29-08, 08:51 AM
truoutkast
Pole Position

as long as it is under 93 dB in sound...should be fine too...
but what da heck...my 240sx sounds like a jet anyways and i haven't gotten pulled over.

*knock on wood*
Old 07-29-08, 09:53 AM
LEXMAN350
Pole Position

Smile

for Tommy at Music Box. He installed my Tanabe Medallion Touring exhaust and he also lowered my car. Great guy!
Old 07-29-08, 10:51 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sungyc
Thanks, but El monte is a bit too far.. ^__^;; i was thinking about maybe like within 30 min driving distant, maybe in Costa Mesa, Tustin, Santa Ana, Orange or places like that... and.. i dont know how to move to socal section..@_@.. sorry..>_< (anyone wants to teach me?)
1. tommy @ musicbox comes highly recommended. he not only does good work, but he also has a flexible schedule. that, and his rates are ultra-competitive. (irvine isn't THAT far... and you can get some kick-**** chinese food afterward!)

2. ask a mod to move the thread to the socal subsection.
Old 07-29-08, 05:33 PM
sungyc
Rookie

ok, thanks for the input people!!! ..

I will considered them in the next few days and see what I will end up doing.. XD
Old 07-29-08, 10:15 PM
ghettoaww
Lead Lap

You can check out the thread below about tuner shops in OC. Lots of ppl seem to like dynamic autosports

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...mic+autosports
Old 07-31-08, 01:28 AM
anticrime
Driver School Candidate

check out execstudio in the city of industry. great work, competitive prices. www.execstudio.com, 626-333-4466, ask for chiaki or jay