CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

CA: Mount a GPS on Your Windshield, Get Fined $108

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-08, 08:30 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The law I would like to see passed is currently under review-
banning drivers from operating a vehicle with a pet on their lap.

I fear for the pet as much as getting run-into by these idiot drivers.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/07/c...p-pets-in-car/
Old 08-07-08, 08:35 PM
miss_IS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
What about fuzzy dice?
You're not allowed to hang anything from the rearview mirror also.
Old 08-07-08, 09:15 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

This law really depends on the officer that pulls you over, just don't **** them off enough for them to unload everything on you. I knew someone that loved to be smart towards cops and he ended up getting several tickets and another for a school parking permit on his rear view mirror...
Old 08-07-08, 10:53 PM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

wow that's wacked.!
Old 08-07-08, 11:08 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

The law is not up for debate as it is stated clearly. The rules are the rules, no matter how mean or nice the officer is.
Old 08-07-08, 11:18 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
The law is not up for debate as it is stated clearly. The rules are the rules, no matter how mean or nice the officer is.
Wonder If I would get it for my Valentine 1!

I thought you get a paper in the box with your GPS saying it is a legal to put the GPS on, I think there is a loop hole but depends where you mount it to!

Another ticket to worry about...lol
Old 08-07-08, 11:49 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

No, it is up for debate as this new bill being introduced decriminalizes the ability to put a GPS unit on the windshield in a specific area, thus making GPS on your windshield legal.

Rules are rules, but there are stupid laws that restrict us of our freedoms to enjoy our vehicles. Not everyone can afford an on dash GPS system.

"Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 08-07-08, 11:54 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So they would rather have people look down while driving when they're lost, then all of a sudden BAM
Horrible. It's probably just another stupid law so they can make money off of; when they are desperate.
Old 08-08-08, 12:09 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Zephyr
No, it is up for debate as this new bill being introduced decriminalizes the ability to put a GPS unit on the windshield in a specific area, thus making GPS on your windshield legal.

Rules are rules, but there are stupid laws that restrict us of our freedoms to enjoy our vehicles. Not everyone can afford an on dash GPS system.

"Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither." -Benjamin Franklin
Sure there are stupid laws, but how many of us actually live and die by the sword? I know I don't.

As for the vehicle code, it's clearly stated and is the current law like it or not.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

Originally Posted by CA Vehicle Code 26708

Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver's View

"No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield or side windows."
You did mention previously.... "This law really depends on the officer that pulls you over, just don't **** them off enough for them to unload everything on you."

So I wonder, if the cop lets you off for speeding does that mean that law is up for debate also?
Old 08-08-08, 12:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

flipside hit it imho. it's a law, if they want, you get a ticket. if they are nice, they let you go, plain and simple. take it or leave it
Old 08-08-08, 12:23 AM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Sure there are stupid laws, but how many of us actually live and die by the sword? I know I don't.

As for the vehicle code, it's clearly stated and is the current law like it or not.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

You did mention previously.... "This law really depends on the officer that pulls you over, just don't **** them off enough for them to unload everything on you."

So I wonder, if the cop lets you off for speeding does that mean that law is up for debate also?
Yes it is a current law, that is establish. The debate is basically on the new bill that revises the law to allow GPS systems be on the list of accept items. The debate is based on whether the current law should be revised or not.

And yes laws do depend on the officer if they are willing to enforce such a thing.
Old 08-08-08, 12:34 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Zephyr
Yes it is a current law, that is establish. The debate is basically on the new bill that revises the law to allow GPS systems be on the list of accept items. The debate is based on whether the current law should be revised or not.

And yes laws do depend on the officer if they are willing to enforce such a thing.
So by that logic...no citation, no crime? No, it means that the officer was feeling generous that day. Police officers do not write the laws, they only enforce them.

It's kind of a non issue to debate such a thing. There are other alternatives to safely use an aftermarket portable nav unit in your car. This is a great one...

These laws are written with safety in mind...not to give out frivolous citations just to stir up debate. Good visibility is key when you're driving. Anything obstructing your line of sight will only hinder your judgment to drive in a safe manner. Afterall, in California, the Basic Speed Law states:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22350.htm

Originally Posted by CVC 22350 - Basic Speed Law
No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property.
Keyword here is: VISIBILITY
Old 08-08-08, 12:58 AM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

the whole point of this thread is to show users "this law exists if you didn't know yet" but also it's currently under review and a bill is coming to revise it for gps devices.

the debate is the validity of the current law, as it currently is being reviewed for revision. having a specific location is safer.

Last edited by Zephyr; 08-08-08 at 01:37 AM.
Old 08-08-08, 03:44 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

The portable gps in my other car is on the lower left side. I never understood why someone would put it in the middle of the windshield. That is such a distraction.
Old 08-10-08, 12:09 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure why this is surprising. you cant tint your front windows, techincally illegal to modify your exhuast, etc etc......

Quick Reply: CA: Mount a GPS on Your Windshield, Get Fined $108