CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Tommy @ Musicbox, El Monte (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-13, 12:31 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by goodyonsen
Does anyone have information on whether or not Tommy has done the Daizen control arm bushing instal before on a 2GS? I have the lower, upper, and caster bushings, as well as the sway bar endlink bushings, steering rack bushings, lower ball joints and outer tie rods. Most of the shops around my area wont even attempted to do it because they fear the difficulty of removing the actual bushings, so I'm in need of a go to guy.
He did the SPC Balljoints for MY IS-F...

Just give him a call and ask...

~ Joe Z
Old 08-30-13, 11:18 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tommy shaved my rear fenders a few weeks ago. Awesome job, no more rubbing. Always recommended!
Old 08-30-13, 12:41 PM
McSwagger7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goin in at 9AM tomorrow to get an F-Sport Exhaust installed!

Old 08-30-13, 12:59 PM
mars231
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have information on whether or not Tommy has done the Daizen control arm bushing instal before on a 2GS? I have the lower, upper, and caster bushings, as well as the sway bar endlink bushings, steering rack bushings, lower ball joints and outer tie rods. Most of the shops around my area wont even attempted to do it because they fear the difficulty of removing the actual bushings, so I'm in need of a go to guy.
If it requires pressing out a bushing with a metal sleeve, then Tommy can't do it. I asked him about it couple weeks ago and told me he doesn't have a press to press out the metal sleeve from the #2 control arm. I ended up taking off the arms and just took it to a shop to press out the stock bushings and press the new ones in.
Old 08-30-13, 01:39 PM
goodyonsen
Rookie

Originally Posted by mars231
If it requires pressing out a bushing with a metal sleeve, then Tommy can't do it. I asked him about it couple weeks ago and told me he doesn't have a press to press out the metal sleeve from the #2 control arm. I ended up taking off the arms and just took it to a shop to press out the stock bushings and press the new ones in.
Thanks. Seems like the #2 arm (castor arm) is the one that is the most difficult. I believe its the only one with a metal sleeve...? The upper and lower arm bushings do not have the metal sleeves in them so it would be easier to press them out then?

too bad he doesnt have a press
Old 08-30-13, 01:51 PM
mars231
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Seems like the #2 arm (castor arm) is the one that is the most difficult. I believe its the only one with a metal sleeve...? The upper and lower arm bushings do not have the metal sleeves in them so it would be easier to press them out then?

too bad he doesnt have a press
It is not really that difficult to press out the bushing, the problem is finding the right size cup that is a bit smaller than the metal sleeve to press it out. My shop pressed it out in like 10min but it costed me $60 -_-. For your other arms that I don't know because i have only replaced the #2 bushing on a 1is but our suspension is very similar. If your other bushings aren't shot then you shouldn't really need to replace them. The one you should be most concerned with is the #2 bushing (and maybe #1 if its torn) which keeps your alignment in place.

Last edited by mars231; 08-30-13 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-06-13, 11:23 PM
1BAD4DR
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Tommy took care of my ISF with PPE header install, front rotors n pads, BC suspension...He did awesome work 0 problems.. he pays attentions to small details and makes sure everything is perfect. 5 stars!!!
Old 09-07-13, 01:33 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

I'll be at his shop tomorrow (saturday) getting half my build installed. can't wait!
Old 09-09-13, 03:58 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ nice . what are you getting done?
Old 09-11-13, 11:01 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

After going to him for a variety of installs, he has a very unorthodox way of installing certain parts. I used to be a big installer for suspension a few years back on other vehicles so I understand the quality vs speed of installs.

He's very quick and understands how to install parts quickly and effectively.

However he sometimes may be too quick, he damaged my bumper while installing my lip and installed it in an unorthodox way where I can't even remove the bumper anymore unless i completely tear off the lip.. but other than that I have no complaints about his work.

Price: 3/5
Speed: 5/5
Quality: 4/5
Old 10-06-13, 07:01 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

saw a silver sick looking isf at tommy's yesterday; with i think tom's rear and lowered on wheels. love the exhaust note!
Old 10-16-13, 06:16 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Tommy @ MusicBox

Hey guys,

Just wanted to inform you that Tommy now fixes broken IS x50 nav screens. My sister IS350 nav screen went out and her car is out of warranty. I called couple different dealerships in the area and they all wanted over 5 grand to replace the nav screen. I finally remember that tommy knows how to install sound systems, alarms and after market units, so i decided to give him a call. He wanted me to bring the car to his shop so he can take a look and figure out what is the problem. He took the nav screen unit out and fixed the problem for me. It only took him couple of hours and he only charged me a fraction of the cost from what the dealership wanted. Now the nav screen works like new and i saved my sister so much $$$$. BIG thanks to the man Tommy @ musicbox. I would highly recomend him to anyone for any kind of work for their cars.
Old 10-22-13, 06:49 PM
thISguy350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive had nothing but good installs from Tommy
Old 10-22-13, 08:02 PM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah tommy is great. Good prices, good work, and honest guy. I went in a while back simply to do some fender work and he ended up noticing a few other minor things he could fix for me that were bugging me and did it quickly. He knows a lot about Lexus', I definitely recommend him.
Old 10-23-13, 08:04 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

mind if i ask what kind of fendor work he offers? i think he only offers shaving , right?

Quick Reply: Tommy @ Musicbox, El Monte (The Mother thread)