CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Graduate School for an MBA

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-08, 11:12 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stevechumo
I read on the MSN article last month, it got the article from CareerBuilder, and it said most of the top management people only hold a 4 year degree. The MBA degree just helps opening the door for you but it doesn't guarantee it. That's sad.
if most mgmt only hold the std 4 yr degree, they are prob old school traditionalists and are smart enough not to retire yet to let some new school jock ruin the company/corp they helped build. from speaking to a few large well known corp companies, in nor cal, its the MBA's that get you the upper mgmt positions.

imho, the undergrad deg gets you in corp america. then you should play the game to get corp america to pay for your MBA to later help run/ruin corp america! LOL hahahahhahahahaa
Old 09-05-08, 02:48 AM
IS250HuNnY
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my cousin graduated from usc mba and his company paid for the whole thing! so lucky
Old 09-05-08, 06:02 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Bryan,

I saw your post a while ago and was about to post up but didn't want to offend anyone or yourself with my perspective. Happily, it seems as though my perspective is somewhat parallel with others.

Haha, it's not really offensive but just a skewed way of viewing the various MBA schools out there.

Having an MBA from a great name school will naturally be smiled upon by hiring managers. I don't think the same can be said about an MBA from a lower tier school due to the fact that deciding where you go is essentially a BUSINESS DECISION and without saying a thing, you may have already spoken volumes about your decision making abilities when weighing roi, opportunity cost, how you view debt, whether or not you're risk adverse, whether or not you like challenges, etc...
Old 09-05-08, 06:32 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I enjoyed reading this thread.
Old 09-05-08, 07:20 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 746 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
imho, the undergrad deg gets you in corp america. then you should play the game to get corp america to pay for your MBA to later help run/ruin corp america! LOL hahahahhahahahaa
That's the plan

Originally Posted by IS250HuNnY
my cousin graduated from usc mba and his company paid for the whole thing! so lucky
That's part one of the plan
Old 09-05-08, 09:31 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
That's the plan
good man let me know when you get up to the top...i'll shoot you some ideas of how to ruin it more LOL
Old 09-05-08, 10:39 AM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

wow..great info..

I'm in Undergrad at UCB right now but I'm considering of going to MBA after graduation..(I mean, after working for few years ) Due to this new stupid policy at Haas, I wasn't able to get into Haas =/

USC, UCLA, UCB , and some schools at East Coast are the few schools that I'm considering..but many people have told me that I should make sure what I want to study first and then choose school..
Old 09-06-08, 02:12 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I agree that the school name means a lot. My brother did Harvard University and Harvard Law School after. At Harvard when you tell a person at an interview that you are "double Harvard" , they call it "dropping the H bomb " LOL. Get into the school with the best name imo. It will pay itsef off. My cousin went to Harvard Medical School and he would also agree that it does open doors.( he was also in the 2000 and 2004 Olympics Games as a US national waterpolo player . That also looks great on a resume lol )
Dropping the H bomb, I like that.

Wish I could afford it
Old 09-06-08, 09:57 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are a CA resident...why not go for UCLA? one of the best for their MBA program...
Old 09-06-08, 11:41 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Thanks for everyone's input. Based on convenience and working full time, I've decided where I want to go despite what people think. My objective is not to make more money, though that would be great, the objective is to get a master's degree as it has always been one of my goals after getting my bs.
Old 09-09-08, 10:35 PM
Wald GS

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but Cal State Fullerton seems to be really good also. Anyone get their mba there?
Old 09-10-08, 10:34 AM
jayy178
Rookie

i currently go to USC Marshall for my MBA... PM me if you want to discuss this more.

In a nutshell, most people on this board have the right idea. A large part of the program is building a network and fostering relationships with each other in order to maximize both your experience and future business contacts (in fact I've gotten my current job partly because I was going to SC). Not only this, but the name of the program does matter to a degree. Univ of Phoenix is not an MBA program to be considered seriously especially since its online.
Old 09-10-08, 10:53 AM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

jayy178, I might send you a PM with lots of question about the USC MBA program..
Old 09-10-08, 07:31 PM
Wald GS

Originally Posted by jayy178
i currently go to USC Marshall for my MBA... PM me if you want to discuss this more.

In a nutshell, most people on this board have the right idea. A large part of the program is building a network and fostering relationships with each other in order to maximize both your experience and future business contacts (in fact I've gotten my current job partly because I was going to SC). Not only this, but the name of the program does matter to a degree. Univ of Phoenix is not an MBA program to be considered seriously especially since its online.
Thanks for your input.

Univ of Phoenix has an in class course aside from the online.

Anyhow, PM sent.
Old 09-12-08, 10:52 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Um..I would think twice about going to University of Phoenix; most of the professors there have just about the same or even less education than the students attending their classes (I've seen their job requirements for recruiting teachers). Plus University of Phoenix is not cheap. With the money spent on a degree from there, you might as well go to a "real" school.

I'm not sure how you feel about the CSU schools, but California State University - Bakersfield has a very good MBA program (CSU schools tend to be more afforable than the UC schools). The MBA program at CSUB highly accredited (AACSB Accreditation).

Quick Reply: Graduate School for an MBA