CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Graduate School for an MBA

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-08, 11:15 AM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't see anyone really touching on this subject but...

1) The MBA program should be taken if you have a purpose to take it. Some people take it because they think their paycheck will increase by having an MBA... which is a myth. You could be a PHd in econ and not get a job because you don't know anyone. Think of a goal, and see if that particular school you are trying for has a specialty for that MBA.

One of the best benefit from having an MBA is to be knowledgeable about a particular aspect of business. Focus on what this means to you. Don't just take classes for the sake of classes.. that's what Undergrad is for. MBA is to focus specifically the thing you want to "Master".

2) Most accredited schools out there are pretty much the same. It's the Network of people that makes a huge difference on whether you'll succeed or not do as well. I've met people with Harvard Law/MBA programs which do well... but they are not very social, didn't branch out, and thus are making a relatively decent living (Not ridiculous considering I make just as much as them and I didn't go get an MBA... yet). The friend that I know who went to CSUF for his MBA was focused on being in upper management, and met a ton of people while he was there. He's now doing very, very well, and is managing 5 complexes.

3) If you "can" go to somewhere besides an "Online" school like Univ. Phoenix, it would be good. Not because their teaching staff may be bad... but like I said, the MBA program is not JUST a degree.. but social branching out. It's tough to do that with online schools.
Old 09-14-08, 11:18 AM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS250HuNnY
my cousin graduated from usc mba and his company paid for the whole thing! so lucky
"most" corporate companies will pay for the full tuition when you submit a form of your intentions. You must show them that it's worth their money to invest in you. Not everyone will be offered a full ride from the companies unless you can show your worth.

Obviously your cousin does pretty well
Old 09-14-08, 04:51 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OutlawsX
I didn't see anyone really touching on this subject but...

1) The MBA program should be taken if you have a purpose to take it. Some people take it because they think their paycheck will increase by having an MBA... which is a myth. You could be a PHd in econ and not get a job because you don't know anyone. Think of a goal, and see if that particular school you are trying for has a specialty for that MBA.

One of the best benefit from having an MBA is to be knowledgeable about a particular aspect of business. Focus on what this means to you. Don't just take classes for the sake of classes.. that's what Undergrad is for. MBA is to focus specifically the thing you want to "Master".

2) Most accredited schools out there are pretty much the same. It's the Network of people that makes a huge difference on whether you'll succeed or not do as well. I've met people with Harvard Law/MBA programs which do well... but they are not very social, didn't branch out, and thus are making a relatively decent living (Not ridiculous considering I make just as much as them and I didn't go get an MBA... yet). The friend that I know who went to CSUF for his MBA was focused on being in upper management, and met a ton of people while he was there. He's now doing very, very well, and is managing 5 complexes.

3) If you "can" go to somewhere besides an "Online" school like Univ. Phoenix, it would be good. Not because their teaching staff may be bad... but like I said, the MBA program is not JUST a degree.. but social branching out. It's tough to do that with online schools.
Very well said.
Old 09-14-08, 05:40 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Aside from wanting to be back at school, I really enjoy marketing and would like to "master" it.

As for schools, I've ditched the univ of phoenix idea.

I've narrowed it down to 2 local schools which include my alma mater.
It's going to be either CSUF or Cal Poly.

Thanks for the informative post.
Old 09-14-08, 07:10 PM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Wald GS
Aside from wanting to be back at school, I really enjoy marketing and would like to "master" it.

CSUF is a good school for marketing purposes. If you go there, remember to build up your network.

Cal Poly isn't bad, but I'm not sure what they emphasize more on.
Old 09-15-08, 10:33 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wald GS

Don't overlook the University of Phoenix. One of my associates at my company graduated there with the BS degree and he's now a senior consultant, which is nearly in the top position. My dad is currently taking his Master in Psychology there and his classes and assignments don't look easy at all. I don't have anything to do with that school. It's just my point that it may not be as bad as the way it appears in the public, or just by some people who never goes there.
Old 11-23-08, 01:44 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevechumo
Don't overlook the University of Phoenix. One of my associates at my company graduated there with the BS degree and he's now a senior consultant, which is nearly in the top position. My dad is currently taking his Master in Psychology there and his classes and assignments don't look easy at all. I don't have anything to do with that school. It's just my point that it may not be as bad as the way it appears in the public, or just by some people who never goes there.
I have a friend that currently attends U of P and she raves about it. She says that the work is not easy and it is a challenge. Great news as it is really close to my house. Thanks for your input.