CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Driving barefoot: illegal in Cali?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-08, 04:52 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

never heard this before..i wonder how the ticket looks on the violation...driving under the influence of wearing sandals/bearfoot...LOL J/K
Old 10-24-08, 08:20 AM
Santos.L.H
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, this is not true, it is perfectly legal to drive barefoot. It's just a strange myth, no one really knows where it came from. I learned this in traffic school.
Old 10-24-08, 11:26 AM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see how this could be true, as my sandal has gotten stuck on the gas pedal for a split second before..

but it would be kinda tough to enforce? lol, "Sir, please place your feet outside the vehicle for inspection..."
Old 10-24-08, 04:42 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought that the intent of the law was to ensure that you didn't take off your shoes and leave them in the driver's footwell- if the shoes/sandals are loose they could potentially move around and get stuck under a pedal under braking.

On the other hand, even if it was illegal, it would only be if you get caught...
Old 10-24-08, 05:11 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

so how the cops gonna know you wearing sandal / shoes or even bare foot or not ??? are they gonna have an x-ray-car-see-through gun kinda thing ??
Old 10-24-08, 06:56 PM
stvn
Pole Position

a paramedic i know told me he saw someones foot get sliced in half by the brake pedal bc he was driving barefoot and got in an accident.. just saying. of course with that much force the guy ended up dying anyway.
Old 10-25-08, 09:49 PM
ROB-2JZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by RA40
Last time I did traffic school, this question came up. No. The instructor a retired CHP officer says he is asked that every weekend and he wondered where that rumor started.

He says that you are more likely to be looking at the barrel of the handgun or shot...when you suddenly reach over to get your shoes or such. They view it as you bending down to retrieve a weapon rather than your flip-flops.
being filipino i would pull a gun on myself for reaching for my flip flops. i can chuck a flip flop 10 feet with asassin like percision haha. we are born with it haha.
Old 10-25-08, 10:24 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe it's just rumor, even though if sounds like it makes sense. Another rumor like if you're drunk and drive and get pulled over, you may put a penny on the tongue and the alcohol will not show through the police tester. That trick doesn't work 100%. There're tons of rumors out there. Anyway, to have a piece of mind, you might call DMV and they'll tell you right away.
Old 10-26-08, 10:15 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Lots of unwise things out there that can be potentially dangerous. Traffic school as much as it is a PITA, you can pick up some good reminders.

I recall the ones about hanging an arm out the window and being side swiped. The driver or passenger having their arm crushed or severed due to the meeting. Same with passengers who like to recline back with feet on the dash. Enough submarine under the sea belt and through the front glass on a frontal impact. (Less so now with air bags but still viewed as an unsafe position in the car.) Same for those who tilt the seat back for that "cruising position"...they slide under the belt into the footwell area on same frontal impact. The CHP instructor had countless collision-injury stories. Brrr....
Old 10-26-08, 10:32 AM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ROB-2JZ
being filipino i would pull a gun on myself for reaching for my flip flops. i can chuck a flip flop 10 feet with asassin like percision haha. we are born with it haha.
HAHA!!!!! thats one of the funniest things ive herd all week long!!
Old 10-26-08, 08:36 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by RA40
Last time I did traffic school, this question came up. No. The instructor a retired CHP officer says he is asked that every weekend and he wondered where that rumor started...
I second this, as I had Comedy Traffic School yesterday, the instructor looked perplexed, like I knew something he didn't.

Comedy Traffic School FTW!