CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Need DUI Attorney!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-09, 09:32 PM
WDoherty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need DUI Attorney!

I need a good reference for a DUI attorney in Los Angeles. Last Saturday i got pulled over when i got called to go pick up some people from a club in Hermosa Beach. I was unfamiliar with the area and my guess is they pulled me over because the passenger gave me directions very late so i made a left turn very late. I did fine on the field test and they asked me to take a bac test and i refused, because that always what i've been advised to do. I have court in March, but i need to get an attorney immediately. I just moved to California and when i look up attorney's there are too many to shake a fist at. One i noticed a site for is in torrance (http://www.beachcitiesdui.com/), which is close to hermosa beach and they may know the local court system. Does anyone have an attorney to recommend for this sort of thing?
thanks in advance for any referrals
Old 02-02-09, 09:45 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know of any attorney's, but when you get a CA drivers license, you agree to take a BAC test (breath or blood). gl
Old 02-02-09, 09:55 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pingu
you agree to take a BAC test (breath or blood). gl

umm no, you can refuse the in field bac test. What did they do afterwards did they just give you a ticket for dui or did they take you in?

From what I know you may refuse the infield tests but they will take you to a local hospital to get blood work done. Then if you show to be under the influence you will be charged.
Old 02-02-09, 10:03 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Please read, I wrote breath or blood. You agree to take a BAC test. I did not say field sobriety test.
Old 02-02-09, 11:10 PM
WDoherty
Pole Position

They did take me in because i refused to test bac. They did not force me to take a bac. I was released in the morning with my court date, a temporary california license (i just moved from texas). What i need is expert legal advise, and i'm hoping someone else here has worked with an attorney they can recommend.
Old 02-03-09, 01:02 AM
Noz
Lead Lap

If you refuse to take the field sobriety test and the breathalizer, then the are supposed to take you in to do the blood test. If you refuse to take the blood as well, then it's the same thing as saying you are guilty and will get an automatic DUI. But if they didn't offer you the blood test, then maybe you can get away since they messed up.
Old 02-03-09, 05:05 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Well that's why the call Hermosa...Barmosa Beach ..hmn Trent Copeland is good from what I hear for fighting traffic tickets..From the bimmer forums.
Old 02-03-09, 03:35 PM
WDoherty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
Well that's why the call Hermosa...Barmosa Beach ..hmn Trent Copeland is good from what I hear for fighting traffic tickets..From the bimmer forums.

Thanks, i'll look him up. I didn't refuse the field test, i took it and did fine.
Old 02-03-09, 03:46 PM
D1GP
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

First of all, you don't need a DUI Attorney for your first offense, It is a waste of money.

2nd of all, you refused to take the Breathalyzer and/or Blood Test, your license will be automatically suspend for 1 year. You will not be charge with a DUI on your record.

Whether or not you take or refuse the field test don't mean shiet. If you read DMV's website and Superior Court of California website, it states the above: Suspension of Driving Privilege for 1 year if refuse to take BAC Test.

I got one not too long ago and did a lot of research, its a biach in Cali to get a DUI. Good luck
Old 02-03-09, 11:08 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

WOW..I didn't know that they automatically suspend your license for 1 year if you refuse to take BAC test..wow
Old 02-03-09, 11:20 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

yep, it goes against what you agree to when you first get your license/renew license since you agree to specifically give breathalyzer/blood samples in order to determine BAC.
Old 02-04-09, 01:55 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Damn, why did you refuse to take the test in the first place. Were you too messed up or something. I always take the test and pass. But in some case if the cops think you're okay to drive they'll let go with a warning. It happened to me before, and the cops told me take it easy next time. But if you think you were "right", then you should just fight the case yourself. thats what I would do.
Old 02-04-09, 03:30 PM
Noz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by D1GP
First of all, you don't need a DUI Attorney for your first offense, It is a waste of money.

2nd of all, you refused to take the Breathalyzer and/or Blood Test, your license will be automatically suspend for 1 year. You will not be charge with a DUI on your record.

Whether or not you take or refuse the field test don't mean shiet. If you read DMV's website and Superior Court of California website, it states the above: Suspension of Driving Privilege for 1 year if refuse to take BAC Test.

I got one not too long ago and did a lot of research, its a biach in Cali to get a DUI. Good luck
I think it's an automatic DUI if you refuse both the breathalyzer and the blood test. If it only gets suspended for a year, then everyone driving wasted would just simply refuse to take any tests and never get a DUI on their record. Well either way, dealing with a DUI sucks. Esp cus the court and DMV systems here are lame.

So what exactly did happen? You took the field test, and then refused to take the breathalyzer, so they arrested you. After you got to the holding cell, did they tell you if you want to do the blood test or did you refuse to take that to?
Old 02-05-09, 10:53 AM
D1GP
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Noz
I think it's an automatic DUI if you refuse both the breathalyzer and the blood test. If it only gets suspended for a year, then everyone driving wasted would just simply refuse to take any tests and never get a DUI on their record. Well either way, dealing with a DUI sucks. Esp cus the court and DMV systems here are lame.

So what exactly did happen? You took the field test, and then refused to take the breathalyzer, so they arrested you. After you got to the holding cell, did they tell you if you want to do the blood test or did you refuse to take that to?
Uh, If you refuse to take Breathalyzer/Blood test, how do they (cops/court) have proof of your BAC level? Therefore, how can they give you an automatic DUI??? WTF? You don't make any sense.

That is why they punish you buy suspending your license for 1 year. And to answer your question about pissed drunk driver simply refusing to take the test. So you rather not be able to drive for 1 year? I don't think I can live without driving a car for 1 year, let alone my car .

And most of the time if you are really pissed drunk, they WILL take you in to detox tank at local county jail for you to sober up. You are getting arrested no matter what, it is just the fact if you will have a "DUI" on your DMV record.

Lets stick to the facts and not confuse any future violators. The best solutions is not to drive when drunk, if you do drink, stay under the limit. It is that simple

Last edited by D1GP; 02-05-09 at 10:57 AM.