CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Main Chinatown?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-09, 02:42 PM
ak11
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Main Chinatown?

Hi I am planning to visit LA and hop on a cruise on Long Beach. I was in LA 2 years ago and was mainly visiting main attractions and Downtown LA Chinatown where Japan town was there too but mainly for visitors. I heard from a not so close friend that there is a main Chinatown thats in Monterey Park San Gabriel, Hacienda Heights, and Rowland Heights. Can anyone point me the exactly block or walking blocks so I can park my car enjoy my lunch/dinner or some snacks there? I may move to close by this area maybe in few years.
Thanks!
Old 02-08-09, 03:46 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

well, first thing you wanna do, is hit the clubs in hollywood, long beach, pasadena, and even vegas. I dont think you wanna get lost around those areas anyways. But if you really want to hit up chinatown you have to go to the one in LA. And check out the Hacienda Temple, its super hugh.. lol.. Hit me up, if you want me to show you around and have a good time!!!
Old 02-08-09, 04:15 PM
humanoid
Driver

Monterey Park, on Garvey Ave. between Atlantic Bl. and New Ave. In Alhambra on Valley Bl. between Atlantic and San Gabriel Blvd. In Hac. Hts/Roland Hts. the main drag is Colima Rd.
Old 02-08-09, 05:05 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want OG, go to Chinatown in downtown LA off the 101 at Alameda.
Phil888 has a good suggestion about the Buddhist temple in Hacie (a must see for outta-towners, imo). i'd suggest hollywood and old town pasadena

btw, if in hacie/rowland, with humanoid, colima is the main strip (anywhere from azusa/colima to nogales/colima along the 60 fwy (aka pomona fwy).

Imho, everything else in rowland, hacie, db, walnut, alhambra, mp, san gab, etc is a waste (unless you're looking for decent to ok food) of time and overkill. + the traffic sux and there's reportedly (according to some in another so cal thread) a huge influx and over-congestion of gangsters in civics and 2GS's, LOL
Old 02-09-09, 08:26 PM
ak11
Pole Position

Thanks guys for your input.

My wife is Buddhism, definitely going to hit Hacienda Temple and burn some incenses. Is it AKA Hsi Lai Temple?

Is that a Chinatown by Irvine? Damn LA is big. I am planning to relocate either in Rowland Heights, Walnut, Chino Hills, or Irvine. Probably drive by these towns and see which town is the best.

I am traveling with my wife and my 3 year old daughter and big luggage for the cruise. Thanks Phil for invitation to show around. I got a whole day to burn. If I have problems looking for something I will look for you. If you guys want, We can meet and buy you guys a drinks at night time when my wife and my kid sleep. lol but I wont driving my GS probably a rental car.
Old 02-09-09, 08:48 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hsi Lai Temple = Largest temple in Hacienda Heights

Not really a Chinatown in Irvine (but asians are everywhere in So Cal)

imho, hacienda/rowland are overrated and over-congested. walnut/chino hills are still relatively nice. Irvine is nice, but, expensive. just my 2 cents.
Old 02-09-09, 08:57 PM
Do.Man
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not so sure you wanna hit up cali anytime this week since it will be raining most of the week and maybe next week as well. just a heads up.
and like they said cities like hollywood,old town pasedena, and uptown whittier is a must!
Old 02-09-09, 10:59 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

I haven't been to that temple in a long time. Rowland heights is crowded and area is meh to live in but fun to chill, chino hills... if you want to relocate there you should just live in Yorba Linda- nice and peaceful city but full of old people and is boring, and for Irvine it is a nice city with things to do.
Old 02-12-09, 12:25 PM
ak11
Pole Position

Which area has decent price and good area? The reason I am leaving NY because the houses here are too expansive and small. I dont want to pay all my salary on mortgages. I have no more money left to spend on things I want and have to watch monthly expanses.

Anyone knows any good restraurants I must try? In NY here, most famous restraurant drop like 1/2 price. Thanks!
Old 02-12-09, 12:52 PM
ISF FAN
Pole Position

Chino Hills is a great community, higher than average income with super High Schools. Prices are down right now, perfert for purchasing. Many predicted that CH will become another Yorba Linda type of community. Check it out!
Old 02-12-09, 01:28 PM
irv_usc
Lead Lap

Inland Empire housing prices dropped quite a bit in the last few years.

Depends on where you are going to work and how far you are willing to drive.

Downtown LA chinatown isn't the same as it was. there are a lot of other asians there now as well.
Old 02-12-09, 06:45 PM
Do.Man
Pole Position

if your looking for cheap big houses..then hisperia where you wanna go..its kind of far from la and oc and all but since its kind of still becoming a real full community, brand new giant houses are cheap right now.
Old 02-17-09, 08:49 PM
ak11
Pole Position

I will be in LA on this 21 and 22. Any good food I should try? I want to surprise my wife and my little kid. Please any suggestions??

Do Man, where in Hisperia do I need to check? Sure drive by that area.

Darkdream, Yoba Linda is pretty pricy. Any good areas?

Irvine, any street I should try also?

Thanks a million!
Old 03-31-09, 08:08 PM
ak11
Pole Position

Just came back from Cali and would like to share some experiences with your helpful members.

First day, nothing special ½ day after landing. I picked up a 2009 Maxima…Nice…Ate at Dennys. I drove in the Venice Beach and Santa Monica, and drove around to Hollywood. They have a Grammy award…

2nd day, was checking out Yorba Linda. Yorba Linda’s East Lake. LOL, was trying to find out where the boat goes by driving around… but was nice. Following the Carbon Canyon Rd to Chino hills. As per name says, Carbon Canyon… was burn to carbon. LOL… In Chino hills was driving around Rancho hills dr. Nice view. Took Grand ave to Colima Rd. Ate at Hong Kong Palace for Dim Sum and ordered a big crab for $18. West side Dim Sum was different than East side, but was excellent. Then drove around Rowland/Hac Height and arrive at Hac. Height Temple. It was impressive big temple. Prayed, burn some incense and donated some money. Before we went, some people gather around an area were throwing coins at something. Mainly have to aim at the bell. I was aiming at the frog. LOL. I took out the last coin and my wife hit the bell, lucky…. Took the highway to Garvy Ave by San Grabriel in Montery Park and brought a bubble tea in Quicky, taste differently then NY. Then turn in Atlantic Blvd. to Valley Blvd. We stopped by the Hilton hotel and saw Massage for $25. Hehe… that was nice. My whole back was relaxed… then we went to walked to the big shopping center across. Was not so hungry after big feast at Colima Rd, so went to eat GuiLin noodle. It was so good we love it. That time was little late like 7-8pm. My little one was sleeping at the rear, so we drove to the Chinatown in downtown and then Japantown. After it I was thinking go to Pasadena for a round. I was driving Rt 110 north. My GPS told me to go to Rt 5. I remembered that Rt 110 should bring me to Pasadena. I heard a horn that a 2GS passed by me… I was driving at 60mph. What the hell your LA drivers going…LOL. I followed the GPS and arrived. Beautiful buildings. Then the crazy GPS took me down Fair Oak Ave or Los Robles Ave back to Rt 10. I don’t mind because just want to check out the area. Finished my day by buying a bear and finished my Big Crab left over from afternoon.

3rd day, drove to Irvine in the morning then up to Hollywood and headed to Long beach for cruise.
Old 03-31-09, 09:31 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

If your going to pick any of these places to live, Irvine for sure. Unless your family is extremely asian and need fresh off teh boat companions then Further north (LA, Haciena Hieghts, San Gabriel, Monterrey Park) would be better.

Irvine is really clean. Nice upscale city. A few decent restaurants to get authentic asian food (China garden), a lot of asian super markets near, and theres alot less trafic then anywhere north of there. I love irvine!

Quick Reply: Main Chinatown?