CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Quick Question on fighting a ticket.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-09, 10:50 AM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quick Question on fighting a ticket.

Went through past threads and I couldn't find if the judge can still give you traffic school if you decide to fight the speeding ticket? I hear you waive your right to attend traffic school when fighting your ticket, but I also heard they can still give it to you, and even reduce the amount? Much thanks to anyone who could shed some light!
Old 03-05-09, 11:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

in the end i guess it's the judge's decision, but a lot of times they don't allow traffic school anymore if you decide to fight
Old 03-05-09, 06:50 PM
lexus5703
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mesca
Went through past threads and I couldn't find if the judge can still give you traffic school if you decide to fight the speeding ticket? I hear you waive your right to attend traffic school when fighting your ticket, but I also heard they can still give it to you, and even reduce the amount? Much thanks to anyone who could shed some light!
So pretty much.. it depends. Technically when you decide to fight it you waive your right, and you just gotta hope the cop doesn't show up so it can be taken off BUT I know for a fact, that it's really up to the judge in the end. Depending on the severity of your ticket, the judge might just say you're good to go to traffic school. Assuming your ticket isn't anything absolutely insane, if you go to court, you just might get screwed into paying the ticket and no school.
I say just go to traffic school if you can!
Old 03-05-09, 07:02 PM
Evonam
Driver School Candidate

COPS will show up to court... its overtime....trust me
Old 03-05-09, 09:30 PM
Jay
Lexus Champion

YES... but like everyone said, it's all up to your judge's mood. Mostlikely, he will reduce the amount and let you go to traffic.. but who knows !!

GL
Old 03-05-09, 10:05 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Mesca, Is this your first offense? If so, the likelihood of you getting traffic school is very high EVEN if you should decide to fight the ticket. If not, it depends on the nature of your speeding ticket...5mph over 10over or 20over(20 over good luck trying to get a break from the judge)

If you decide to fight the ticket be aware you are responsible to pay the whole amount of the fees up front before your court case (yes the full amount of the ticket). If you should win you will be refunded the amount. As far as hoping the cop doesn't show: all officers have an obligation to go to court when subpoenaed for people fighting tickets. This is especially true for CHP whose only goal in life is to give you a ticket coupled with a bad day. For an officer not to show to court he has to give a VERY good reason not to.

BTW if you really believe the officer gave you the ticket in the wrong, when he explains his side don't stand up there and look p/oed and shake your head when he is talking, be civil act appropriately, basically kiss the judges butt don't get on his bad side.

To save you a headache, if there's question you did actually break the law and you're just trying to get out of the ticket then I suggest not fighting it, but go to your court date plead no contest get the reduced fine amount and take online traffic-school, which incidentally has changed up a bit, it used to be that it would only take 4 hours to take it online but they fixed the timer on the page loads on most sites and now it almost ends up being close to eight hours. Sucks huh? sure does. but you can log out and finish it at anytime.

gluck!
Old 03-05-09, 11:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

don't be so sure. one time i went to court the judge said out right beforehand that if anyone decides to fight and lose, he will NOT allow traffic school no matter what and won't reduce fine. fwiw, he really lived up to his promise, haha
Old 03-06-09, 12:21 AM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got clocked at 58 in a 40 and yeah its my first offense. I kind of wanted to fight the ticket because my friend gave me a text of strategies on how to fight and win in a traffic case. 58 is pretty close to 20 over so I'm not sure..I just got in the mail bail is $322. =[
Old 03-09-09, 12:20 AM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

do what I did. refer to ticketassassin dot com and contest the case via written trial. 30% of the time popo would be too lazy to submit their version and you'll get it off. (mine failed but I requested for a court trial). court date went to court and was going to plead guilty if the cop shows up, he didnt, so i got dismissed. woot woot!

oh mine was 62 in a 45 zone.

i mean, yes we were speeding and speeding is bad, but who never speed before? what matter most is, we learn our lesson and learn to drive safe. regardless of getting my ticket off or not, i still learned that I should drive safe. and that's what matters.