CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Where to do 30k service instead of dealership

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-09, 05:25 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The automatic in the 2IS isn't serviceable and the fluid is for the life of the transmission. It's designed to be a sealed system with no practical way to change the fluid. Read your manual- it explicitly tells you this. (and if you do have a manual you just wasted a ton of $ on a service you weren't anywhere needing mileage wise)
I just googled that and your right. How ironic is it that the American Car Industry used to be the ones making their break on purpose and now its toyota/lexus. I guess they need their sales to raise somehow.

What really sucks is that people are going to think lifetime means forever and since the car wasnt sold as a lemon and is out of the warrenty they are SOL. I can place money on the trannys breaking before they get to 200k.

It appears that the tranny does have a drain and fill hole (like manual trannys). I would defiantly change out that fluid myself every 60k miles. Either that or sell the car when it hits 100k, just to be on the safe side.
Old 03-27-09, 08:06 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryeno

It appears that the tranny does have a drain and fill hole (like manual trannys). I would defiantly change out that fluid myself every 60k miles. Either that or sell the car when it hits 100k, just to be on the safe side.
No you wouldn't.

Remove the pan entirely and you'll only get roughly 1.3-1.6 quarts out of the system. It holds just under 9 quarts total.

It's not possible to change the fluid yourself.

There's like a 7 page long thead on this, with diagrams and info from TIS, if you seach in the 2IS section.

So unfortunately sell your car right before 100k is your only option.

Which is honestly what I plan to do with mine too... not just the transmission fluid issue, simply that it's a very complex car with insanely expensive parts... so even doing 100% of the labor myself it's probably not worth it.

I mean, hell, the -windows- have flash memory on the 09s.

Last edited by Kurtz; 03-27-09 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-27-09, 10:52 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Dynamic Auto Services
Son Nguyen
8241 Bolsa Ave
Midway City, CA 92655
(714) 899-2939
Old 03-27-09, 01:02 PM
nicholasg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryeno
. Either that or sell the car when it hits 100k, just to be on the safe side.
Well, 30k millionares should not be driving 40k cars. Sorry man, you wanna play, you gotta pay.

Ever seen the cost of an oil change of a BMW 335 or M series, used or new? Or how about servicing a Porsche. Even if its a basic Cayman (~$45k) as these are BOTH luxury vehicles, the same as your Lexus.

Ever wonder how those dealers pay for those delicious cookies and coffee you drink? Or how about the fireplace and flat panel televisions in the waiting area? Or in the case of my local dealer, they have 20 computers for use, an outdoor putting area, library, barista, bottled water, and free car washes.

So why would you assume that just because this is a Japanese brand it should be 50 bucks to service. Also, for you to "crap" on your car and say that you should sell it because the transmission cannot be services, read about how many OTHER vehicles also don't need transmissions servicing EVER.

Technology is a wonderful thing. Bearings and lubricants have gotten more advanced, oils are better, clutches and syncros are made using different materials that are grades higher than generations ago. To compare a Lexus or newly designed vehicle versus the iron dinosaurs of the yesteryears is ignorant.

Any vehicle that has been purchased within the last 8 years that is using Direct Injection should have its engine last at LEAST 500k miles, usually more! Assuming you perform regular maintenance and don't drive it like a moron.
Old 03-27-09, 10:08 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nicholasg
Well, 30k millionares should not be driving 40k cars. Sorry man, you wanna play, you gotta pay.

Ever seen the cost of an oil change of a BMW 335 or M series, used or new? Or how about servicing a Porsche. Even if its a basic Cayman (~$45k) as these are BOTH luxury vehicles, the same as your Lexus.

Ever wonder how those dealers pay for those delicious cookies and coffee you drink? Or how about the fireplace and flat panel televisions in the waiting area? Or in the case of my local dealer, they have 20 computers for use, an outdoor putting area, library, barista, bottled water, and free car washes.

So why would you assume that just because this is a Japanese brand it should be 50 bucks to service. Also, for you to "crap" on your car and say that you should sell it because the transmission cannot be services, read about how many OTHER vehicles also don't need transmissions servicing EVER.

Technology is a wonderful thing. Bearings and lubricants have gotten more advanced, oils are better, clutches and syncros are made using different materials that are grades higher than generations ago. To compare a Lexus or newly designed vehicle versus the iron dinosaurs of the yesteryears is ignorant.

Any vehicle that has been purchased within the last 8 years that is using Direct Injection should have its engine last at LEAST 500k miles, usually more! Assuming you perform regular maintenance and don't drive it like a moron.
I have no idea why you said any of that. Just because your buying a more expensive car doesnt mean you should be paying more to drive it. The reason it costs more to service a porsche is because the dealership knows people who drive porsches have money, so they jack up their prices. Now that goes for all luxury car manufactures. Sorry but i dont buy that bs that l should pay extra money to service my car when the stuff being replaced costs pennies on the dollar compared to what i am paying.

As for cars being better built today i call BS on that. Ever since the early-mid ninties most cars have kept the same level of reliability. The biggest difference today is the fuel emissions, gas milage and parts changing from your traditional metal alloy to fiber parts. But the parts that break/need changing like O2 sensors, ABS sensors, brake pads, starter, pvc value, plug wires, coolant etc. are all no better then before. With that being said even if your engine can make 500k its usually the transmission that becomes the problem And with the ISx50, well if you cant change out the tranny fluid i have a hard time believing the car will make it to your 500k mile mark.

Just because the dealership says do regular service and gives you a chart doesnt mean thats all that needs to do be done. And it also doesnt mean your car will run to 500k, incase you didnt notice it doesnt say ANYWHERE the number of miles your cars HAS to get to. That means by default all the car has to get to is out of the warranty period. And its called a "lifetime" transmission, meaning that the tranmission is good for the life of the car. Well since the transmission basically determines the cars life once its failed the cars life is over.

Last edited by Ryeno; 03-27-09 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-27-09, 10:18 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I definitely recommend Steve at Luxury Motorworks. I live in Diamond Bar (near you) and when I take my SC 430, he always gives me a loaner. and his price is right. Go to his website-he posts his prices on it. He is an honest guy!