CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Where to do 30k service instead of dealership

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-09, 11:03 AM
SoyMilk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to do 30k service instead of dealership

Hi guys,

Was wondering if you know any good places for a 30k service besides the dealership. I called Longo Lexus last week and they said it was going to be $411 . I live around Rowland Heights area, so places around here and even Arcadia would be nice if you guys know of any.
Old 03-26-09, 11:09 AM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a shop that specialize in Toyota and Lexus Maintenance, there has to be one in Cali somewhere.

Or you can just do the oil change and change out the air filter and cabin air filter yourself.
Old 03-26-09, 11:12 AM
Bodz123
Rookie

Come on, you buy a 40k car and cant afford to take it to the dealer for its 30k service?
Old 03-26-09, 11:16 AM
kimban
Rookie

buy the parts and i'll do everything for $50.
Old 03-26-09, 11:42 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SoyMilk
Hi guys,

Was wondering if you know any good places for a 30k service besides the dealership. I called Longo Lexus last week and they said it was going to be $411 . I live around Rowland Heights area, so places around here and even Arcadia would be nice if you guys know of any.
Call back and don't ask for a price on 30k service.

Ask for a price on JUST an oil change and a brake fluid change.

Because other than a couple filters you can change yourself in 5 minutes that's all they're really going to do, but they'll charge a lot more if you call it a 30k inspection.
Old 03-26-09, 11:58 AM
Hollings
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bodz123
Come on, you buy a 40k car and cant afford to take it to the dealer for its 30k service?
Did you ever consider some people can afford a 40k car because they do things like this themselves? Money saved is money earned. I can afford to have the dealership make some sweet cash off of me, but unfortunately for them, I enjoy a good DIY project. It might not make sense to you, but it might to someone else.
Old 03-26-09, 12:28 PM
tw88
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hollings
Did you ever consider some people can afford a 40k car because they do things like this themselves? Money saved is money earned. I can afford to have the dealership make some sweet cash off of me, but unfortunately for them, I enjoy a good DIY project. It might not make sense to you, but it might to someone else.
Exactly, and just because you pay more money at the dealer doesn't mean they'll do it right.
Old 03-26-09, 12:38 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

thank you for providing me the free coffee and muffins
Old 03-26-09, 03:13 PM
Bodz123
Rookie

They also re-torque suspension/drivline nuts/bolts, do an injector service, brake fluid flush and full vehicle inspection plus they flushed my tranny (not 100% if that included in every 30k service) and its put in their system so if you ever sell the car you can prove it had its MAJOR service work dont by the dealer. And whats this about taking it to the dealer and them not doing it right? please........ Im not trying to be an *** but at least let the dealer do the major service work. Changing your oil and cabin filter is not a 30k service.
Old 03-26-09, 07:14 PM
nicholasg
Pole Position

Change your oil yourself or take it to Toyota and have them do it on special. Just make sure you pay extra for synthetic oil. No need to pay for a 30k service. What does the manual say should be done for 30k service? Last time I looked, nothing special.
Old 03-26-09, 08:18 PM
sanguine
Rookie

Originally Posted by SoyMilk
Hi guys,

$411 doesn't sound too outrageous, especially compared to the $650 quote I got from Park Place Lexus in Mission Viejo. Anyone here have reputable mechanic that offers competitive pricing?
Old 03-26-09, 08:26 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

try dynamic auto service in midway city. ask for son.
Old 03-26-09, 08:41 PM
zet
Driver

call up luxury motorworks, i hear good things from them. they quoted me like $350 for my 60k service compared to longo's $900
Old 03-26-09, 09:34 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

The price sounds very very reasonable..ask them to take a 10% off and call it a day.
Old 03-27-09, 04:42 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

They also re-torque suspension/drivline nuts/bolts
No they don't.

Several Lexus employees have mentioned that's one of the BS items they put in the manual that never actually needs to be done, because those bolts don't come loose.

, do an injector service
Another jack-your-bill up service that is NOT called for, ever, in the service manual.

, brake fluid flush
That's the one item besides the oil change I already mentioned as needed at 30k.

and full vehicle inspection
Which they do for just an oil change by the way, they just don't tell you that.

plus they flushed my tranny
No they didn't, unless you've got a manual.

The automatic in the 2IS isn't serviceable and the fluid is for the life of the transmission. It's designed to be a sealed system with no practical way to change the fluid. Read your manual- it explicitly tells you this. (and if you do have a manual you just wasted a ton of $ on a service you weren't anywhere needing mileage wise)

(not 100% if that included in every 30k service) and its put in their system so if you ever sell the car you can prove it had its MAJOR service work dont by the dealer. And whats this about taking it to the dealer and them not doing it right? please........ Im not trying to be an *** but at least let the dealer do the major service work. Changing your oil and cabin filter is not a 30k service.

No, doing an oil change, brake fluid change, and cabin/air filter change.... THAT is a 30k service. As per the manual.

What you got was the "Jack the bill sky high when the sucker brings it in at 30k" service.

Quick Reply: Where to do 30k service instead of dealership