CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Talking on phone ticket -_-

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-09, 06:45 PM
ankurman20
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

uhh... stupid new law
Old 06-12-09, 10:24 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ankurman20
uhh... stupid new law
don't you mean stupid people who couldn't do two things at once that ended up crashing or hurting someone? that's why this law made
Old 06-13-09, 01:22 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by projectdna
law enforcement officers should do as their job title describes: enforce the law. leaving it up to them to interpret the law opens the door for personal bias and judgment. how many times in the forums have we heard stories about people being wrongfully or improperly cited? (answer: too many)

my issue is not with the hands-free law, or the law itself (the generic, abstract concept of it). however, my issue is that i'd rather not have police officers pretending to know the law. what they should be doing is protecting and serving the public's interest, not "cite/arrest/shoot first, ask questions later."

by the way, i see you're avoiding my question. when you decide what constitutes "use" as far as the hands-free law is concerned, let me know.
Wow.
Old 06-13-09, 06:44 PM
MsLeng
Driver

If you ask me, I think the cell phone law is just a little ridiculous to begin with...agreeing that yes, it was someone stupid who couldn't do two things at the same time that created this.

However, I believe its also the engaged conversations while driving, and not necessarily just the motion of holding a cell phone in your hand that causes people to lose focus on the road (but of course its a factor). But it seems like this new law implemented is restricting any sort of phone being in your hand, although there is an exception that you can dial a number with the phone in your hand (would be awesome to see someone dial without their phone in their hand), but they "strongly urge you not to dial numbers while driving..."(http://www.dmv.ca.gov/cellularphonelaws/)

Anyways..my point is that you can't have a phone anytime at all while driving except while dialing or seeing who's calling, but you can hold an ipod in your hand all day long...scrolling through your thousands of lists of songs...reading the title of each song...and I guess technically, you can't ticketed for that, because its not a phone...is that correct???
Old 06-14-09, 12:35 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

There are so many retarded things you can be doing while driving, and not be ticketed for.

For example, one day while driving to work, there was this guy playing his GUITAR, while driving, yes I said GUITAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Another example, how come I dont see people getting tickets for putting makeup on while they drive?

How come I don't see people getting pulled over while they eat and drive?

Just a few examples, of many things one could and should get a ticket for

But, lets go ahead and pull you over for not having a front plate, while 10 other people drive next to you with no plate!
Old 06-14-09, 02:40 AM
CWu2042
Driver

i would move out of the state the day california make a law against eating and driving the same time..
Old 06-14-09, 06:35 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I love my bluetooth earphone. It's a natural habit for me to grab it whenever I know I'm going to drive a far distance.

When I dont have it, I just put my phone on speakerphone. I can't remember when I last drove while holding the phone up to my ears.
Old 06-14-09, 08:57 AM
MsLeng
Driver

Originally Posted by t0e

Just a few examples, of many things one could and should get a ticket for

But, lets go ahead and pull you over for not having a front plate, while 10 other people drive next to you with no plate!

LOL....I concur...what effin crap is that!? =) ♥
Old 06-14-09, 08:21 PM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

its cheaper/smarter to buy a bluetooth unit than pay the fine.
Old 06-15-09, 08:44 PM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

just got a ticket for being on the phone, about a month ago, off the 60 and 57 interchange highway patrol pulled me over..I finally got the ticket in the mail...so much for $20.00 first offense...the ticket ended up being $132.00 I guess after final court fees etc...moral of the story...use a hands free set ! hahahaha
Old 06-18-09, 08:41 AM
tommigsr
Pole Position

my first talkin on the phone ticket was about 120 with all the stupid fees :\
Old 06-22-09, 09:11 AM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

**bump** for update from is250hunny's case...
Old 06-26-09, 09:28 AM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

You would think it was only $20 dollars, however there are a ton of fees that they add on (court fees, security fees, etc).

I know in Orange County, it totals up to $130.

There is also an option for traffic school and if you elect to take traffic school, its $200+.

Although it is not a moving violation, nor does it count as a point on your record, it does appear on your driving record if you do not take traffic school.

Your insurance company may ignore it completely or they can penalize you. You would have to check with your insurance company to see if they would or would not.

My girlfriend's nephew got a ticket and I told him it should have been $20. He received the fine and the clerk explained this to us.
Old 06-26-09, 11:27 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by suicidesam
**bump** for update from is250hunny's case...
Old 07-07-09, 02:08 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

Back the top

Quick Reply: Talking on phone ticket -_-