CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Cracked my oil pan in Walnut! advice needed on best course of action.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 01:21 AM
SickES350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cracked my oil pan in Walnut! advice needed on best course of action.

well, for those who are in and around mt. sac, diamond bar, walnut area, Grand Ave. is getting resurfaced. a good 4 inches is getting dug out, exposing the manholes to which they pack asphalt around to minimize the impact on cars.

on sunday at 1am, i was driving northbound on Grand in the right lane, after dodging a series of unmarked manholes in my lane, i figured the inside lane is a safer lane, as i move in, i hit the only manhole (right before stoneybrook rd.) that is in the center of the road.afterwards, i notice all the manholes after the series i dodged and hit had cones on it to warn drivers of the potential hazard.

i hear a loud boom and stopped at the chevron at Grand Ave. and Amar Rd. i cracked the oil pan and spilled most of it at the gas station. i had a tow truck come and tow me back home. i went back after i got home to take some pictures of manholes near by with and without cones. i also went back earlier today to take pictures with better lighting. i jacked up the car and saw the damage. cracked oil pan, mt exhaust pipe is pretty banged up, so is my cat.

i called the local sherif to try to file a police report to get it on record, they said they dont deal with the issue, i have to take it up with city hall. i have not yet contacted insurance, and i would prefer to leave them out of it since i dont think this applies to them.

i have pictures of my car when i got to the gas station, of the road, and the bottom of the car when i have it jacked up.

i am on coilovers so i dont know if that'll be a problem. i hope it will not be, since my brother's s2000 also hit that very same bump i did. however, lucky for him, honda has the cross brace protecting the oil pan.

here are some photos.

my car is bleeding.....

i plan on showing these pictures of the service department tomorrow to get a price quote on how much it is to fix before i give city hall a call.

Please, if you have any advice on something else i can do that will leave me in a better position to get my car fixed with out having to front out my own money, let me know. i think i have a solid case that i can win against city hall with what i got. i dont plan on taking them to court yet, but if they are reluctant to pay up then i will.

ATTENTION everyone! avoid Grand Ave. until construction is done! =[
it only takes 2 days to repave a road. roughly a few hrs to dig it out and a few more to put it back in. the city is apparently taking its time with this. they just took out the road and left it as is. its been that way for a few days now.

Last edited by SickES350; 06-22-09 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-22-09, 07:36 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear that happened but yeah you need to go through city hall. If anything I guess you could order the parts from Carson. I know they'd have the oil pan. Not so sure about the flex pipe that got banged up
Old 06-22-09, 10:04 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

YIKES!! Sorry to hear about your incident, hope you get the city to fix your ride.
Old 06-22-09, 10:47 AM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, that sucks, good thing i dont live in that area anymore, i used to drive down that road alot. Good luck with your case.
Old 06-22-09, 01:29 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Man that's an unfortunate situation, you should get in touch with City Clerk's office for Walnut and file a damage report with them. How fast were you going? Good luck.
Old 06-22-09, 08:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ouch, sorry to hear that. in fact i went through that same strip of POS road on saturday evening too..... in my freaking low gs350. it wasn't fun. when i went through there, most of the manhole had a cone right by them to indicate the issue, but my wife said some of them didn't have anything. definitely send all the pictures and stuff to the city and claim everything

that part of the road normall has speed limit of 50 i believe. that evening when i went, i couldn't even go faster than 30

and i think it's completely retarded coz' they weren't doing it section by section, they dug up the whole damn road probably like 1 to 1.5 miles?
Old 06-22-09, 08:40 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
and i think it's completely retarded coz' they weren't doing it section by section, they dug up the whole damn road probably like 1 to 1.5 miles?
Seriously! My local street (3 lanes per directions) is having construction at the moment. 2 of the 3 lanes are closed and at least a mile of road has been dug up. Yet only a small portion gets worked on
Old 06-23-09, 01:56 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Damn man im sorry to see that. i was just on grand yesterday in my friends lowered g35, luckily it was during the day so we could see all the obstacles to avoid. Well we did hit one really hard but no damage, we also wanted to contact the city about it but we really didnt have any damage or anything.
Old 06-23-09, 08:49 PM
rareXair
Driver

i live around the area, and i rode in my friend's car on grand lately, there are a couple that sticks out more than that one, it looks like they just paved it today but lately i've been going around, i keep going down valley until cal poly area then double back on temple to amar. long but worth it to me
Old 06-24-09, 12:16 AM
miss_IS300
Lead Lap

Yikes sorry to hear about that. I drive on Grand and Valley a lot and Valley is still all messed up from the construction that they did awhile ago. I think I would contact city hall asap and let them know what happened if I were you. Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 06-24-09, 02:03 AM
Heng350
Lexus Test Driver

omg.....i freaking hit a knocked down cone in the dark i was going slow too but theres no light near the wild life area and 50% of cones have no reflectors.........!!!!!!! am so **** its killing me.....!!!!!!! it cracked my new front bumper....bent my net, scratch my rim......ripped off my bolts connected to the bottom of the bumper!!!!!
Old 06-24-09, 01:32 PM
soupdawg
Pole Position

lol if you wait for the city to pay for it you are going to be without a car for a very long time. thats if they even agree to pay. theyll probably just say your car is improperly lowered and blow you off. ive heard of people getting reimbursed from cities for bent rims and stuff from potholes but not after months and months of time passed and getting lawyers involved.
Old 06-24-09, 02:00 PM
Heng350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by soupdawg
lol if you wait for the city to pay for it you are going to be without a car for a very long time. thats if they even agree to pay. theyll probably just say your car is improperly lowered and blow you off. ive heard of people getting reimbursed from cities for bent rims and stuff from potholes but not after months and months of time passed and getting lawyers involved.
u could be right in sickes350 situation. but mine was involving a knocked down cone in the middle of a lane i mean it still stands a good 10 inches off the ground and it has a black bottom blending into brand new black ashfault.

still GL with sickes350s thing..... hope no one else has to go thur this..... just take the hill all the way down to la puente road... i was thinking that at 1st too... shuda listen to the instincts
Old 06-24-09, 02:02 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by soupdawg
I like your username. If I see a road is torn up, I will drive 2 mph. I don't care who is behind me.

Good luck getting the city to pay for it. I've always wondered what the odds of getting them to pay were.
Old 06-24-09, 02:08 PM
Heng350
Lexus Test Driver

Hey if anyone passes by Grand between Amar/Temple or La Puente Rd, keep an eye out for the construction company's name and number yea? I think that could really help me and sickes350 out.

Quick Reply: Cracked my oil pan in Walnut! advice needed on best course of action.