CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

SRT intake and smog test "test only" place

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 07:29 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default >>>>>>....

$60 is a pretty standard flat rate. In fact I usually pay around 50.00
Just gotta goto a few places and be a good talker. I've never had a problem getting a modded, car to pass smog.
Old 07-21-09, 09:50 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

i would try it first with the srt on, what is the worst thing they can do? not run your car, big deal then just go somewhere else. it is at least worth a try. if any thing tell them it is carb legal you just forgot the number and seee if it passes as is. depending how strickt/how good a talker you are someone will do it with the srt on. call a couple o shops first or just go in and talk to a few and you should have no problem finding 1 shop to do it.
Old 07-22-09, 03:19 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryeno
except the visual test is part of the smog test. So worst thing is they make you pay the smog fee and just straight up tell your its a fail. So then you only have one 'real' test essentially getting rid of your free retest.

BTW just so you know unless your turboed your getting rid of low end performance with that intake and odds are your jdm tight ecu chip is just making your car waste more fuel.
the SRT ecu is an ecu in the basest of senses, but still an ecu, kind of like a hard programmed (ROM, not PROM) piggy back. it does NOT just trick the IAT sensor into thinking it's colder outside

SRT is a pretty legit, although IMHO overpriced, company.
Old 07-23-09, 12:00 AM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

i thought that the srt ecu reprograms your stock perameters, ie how much fuel is sent to the injectors, the air/fuel mixture and such. and srt has dyno sheets to prove the horse power gains. i belive it is something like 22 hp. and again correct me if i am wrong but you are only in low end power off the line and the rest of the time you are in the high rpms.
Old 07-23-09, 02:52 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I finally decided (took socal cyco advice) to just take the car to some shops to see what happens. I go to the first one and I told him I have an aftermarket air filter, he took a look at it and asked for the carb sticker. I told him I had it on there but it just peeled off. So the guy didn't do it.

Next shop I went and told him the same thing, that I had the sticker on there put it must have just peeled off. He said okay and ran the test and it passed.

Last edited by rgarjr; 07-23-09 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-23-09, 03:45 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey, glad you passed man. enjoy it for the next 2 years. haha.
Old 07-23-09, 04:40 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

FYI: ASK the SMOG TECH before smogging it. Can he pass it or not. You don't need to pay extra. Make sure you be nice to him or else he will turn around and poke you.
Old 07-24-09, 04:48 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Why would you want the stock ecu reprogrammed? your not turboed. Does it make any sense for toyota to purposefully screw up the stock air/fuel ratio? IDK if you know this but people recommend getting a usdm supra 2jz-gte ecu for people doing the jdm engine swap because the usdm ecu is already calibrated perfectly to run on us pump gas.

As for rpm range. In real life their is no low end or high end but just a gradual change of rpm. But when your comparing 2.5k to 6k, well one is low and one is high. So basically with a straight intake tubing, your losing all that extra in tube air mass. So right when you floor it, you will suffer because all that extra air wont enter your engine. This would usually be the low end e.g. at a stop light, you floor it. The only real benefit would be IF at the higher rpms, the engine could pull more air in because the stock tubing was restrictive.

In real life you probably will gain a BIT at the high end but because the new filter, filters less then your old air filter. The power difference? i doubt it would even be 2hp let alone 22hp. And of course now your engine is sucking in more dirt. HORAY

In all honestly, a BFI intake will give that benefit of a ram intake because you increase the air opening space while keeping the good stock filter.

Those short ram, cold air intake on NA cars are a good majority of time just a scams.
too lazy to reply, research on the true meaning of a helmholtz resonator and how it applies, it does a slight bit of a pneumatic springboard effect in helping air into the intake but is primarily used by toylex to reduce intake noise.

oh, and pretty much ALL OEMs produce the bulk of their cars to run VERY conservatively, and the ECUs are tuned to give the average driver an easy time at the peak of reliability. Can toyota make a 340whp camry? yes, easily, without turbos even. but can they make it do 340whp for 24/7/365? maybe, but MUCH harder.

Toylex ecus tend to run rich, and piggyback's lean them a tiny bit during these situations.things and all is wll.
Old 07-29-09, 09:02 PM
Lazy
Lexus Champion

illegal smog will go for 110-250..
Old 07-30-09, 06:52 PM
vindedreal
Pole Position

I just wanted to add my input about the whole intake debate. My car is turboed, but while I was Na, I still had my SAFC, which gave me Airflow readings in voltage(or some other value) through my karman MAF. I tested the amount of air going through the stock intake and one that I fabricated, in most rpms the fabricated intake showed an increase of about 17 , and in WOT the increase was even higher than that. My throttle responce was also definately faster.

Also on the subject of ECU's , Toyota definately does not tune thier ecu's with the thought of making the most hp, they have to balance it with emmisons and gas efficiency, So yes you can tune it for more HP, but you will lose out on the other 2. I know a couple of people who have gained more than 35hp with intake, exhuast and tuning, while the gains might not be "price" reasonable, its still proof that toyota ecu's can be tuned for more hp in near stock conditions.

Last edited by vindedreal; 07-30-09 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-30-09, 07:37 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

ya i know that but they also have extra air in them.

Ya they could make the camry run 340hp but it wouldnt be just from changing the ecu. The way you phrased it, it makes it sound like the piggyback ecu in that intake would do the samething as toyota making the car more powerful. But thats not the case. Plus you are saying since toyota makes the car run reliable you want to ruin? That doesnt seem very smart to me.

In short who gets a piggyback ecu before a turbo? No one because their is no point. The car is already tuned to what it should be.

And yes i do know the cars tend to run a bit rich. But still i rather have it be a bit rich then risking it being lean. Plus our cars can still pass smog, so its not even that rich.
there's a difference between making extra power out of an engine and retuning it to unlock power potential it already has.

your argument is similar to that of why people buy bolt-ons instead of just going turbo/FI/high NA tune, its because people want a small power increase for an associated small amount (relatively) money spent. MOST people with piggybacks have simple intake/exhaust modifications and see a decent bit of improvement. no, it isnt 100hp or the like, but if you drop say $1000-1500 on a full intake/exhaust/piggyback, and get say 20-30hp, it's pretty good when you'd be dropping over 2-3x that for a BASIC turbo system without a beefed up fuel system or fuel/timing controller.
Old 08-08-09, 12:18 PM
1KhpWrx
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazy
illegal smog will go for 110-250..
Nowadays the smog shops are putting their *** on the line so the price has risen $250-$350