CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

City of Newport Beach Sued For Damaging Wheels and Tires worth $8,800

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-09, 01:29 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

All we needed to hear was "It came out of nowhere!" Yeah, 4" seems excessive... that would be sufficient to do additional damage to the suspension. 2" is enough of a kick if it is a hard squared edge like some of the steel plates.
Old 10-29-09, 01:30 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm...i could use a new set of rims. where is this 4" ledge again. Actually my car doesnt even have 4" in ground clearance so they would probably not cover me.
Old 10-29-09, 01:34 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
hmm...i could use a new set of rims. where is this 4" ledge again. Actually my car doesnt even have 4" in ground clearance so they would probably not cover me.
LOL if you have coils just lift it haha
Old 10-29-09, 02:07 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

haha, I highly doubt all four of his rims and tires need to be replaced. But I can see how this guy can get away with it in the rich city of newport beach. Only way he'd win though is if there were no warnings.
Pot holes aren't a big deal, they're all over the world, most people hit them violently because they're not following the speed limit.
Old 10-29-09, 02:30 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
haha, I highly doubt all four of his rims and tires need to be replaced. But I can see how this guy can get away with it in the rich city of newport beach. Only way he'd win though is if there were no warnings.
Pot holes aren't a big deal, they're all over the world, most people hit them violently because they're not following the speed limit.
you've never owned custom wheels in a poorly maintained road environment. i've seen some ridiculous bends to STOCK 16-17" wheels from 2-3" potholes and ledges. honestly its those super thick steel plates that are the worst (you dont often see sheer asphault ledges) since the edges at speed are basically acting like giant BLADES.
Old 10-29-09, 02:55 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

xknowonex, can you get some high quality pictures of this road?
Old 10-29-09, 03:23 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vwynn
xknowonex, can you get some high quality pictures of this road?
Haha my car isn't much higher than many of your guy's car. My front bumper can barely clear that ledge. I dont live there either.
Old 10-29-09, 03:31 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If he documented every thing with photos and has all receipts, better yet with a recorded video, he'll get his $. If a news station plays his video showing the 4" ledger or steel plate, the city probably will fed-ex a reimbursement check to him overnight

Last edited by avgj0F; 10-29-09 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-29-09, 05:01 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 600rr05
damn that sucks i would be pissed if that happed to me. But to claim 4 inches wouldn't there be more damage then just rims ?
ya it did, HIS EGO for letting with hubby drive his expensive car and her f'in it up hahahaha
Old 10-29-09, 06:43 PM
TankMR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Why would he get compensated? When I'm driving around in Montreal potholes with my R8, I don't complain about how they could cause me spinal injury because of the type of car I'm driving, its large wheels and the suspension. Same deal. This is ridiculous.

When I was here on the South Shore the other day there was a street which's sewer system was being redone, and the sewage was being rerouted through tubes on the surface and that created huge mound in the middle of the road. Instead of going over them and ripping out the bottom of my car or getting beached on top of them, I turned around and went around the construction site. I could've very well went over the mound and had I been stuck, I could've sued the city... but that would've been stupid and ultimately wouldn't hold up in court anyways.
good god, what do you do for a living?
Old 10-29-09, 06:46 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by TankMR
good god, what do you do for a living?
I'm self-employed. I own several business and restaurant franchises.
Old 10-29-09, 08:04 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

There's massive construction on University Dr. at UCI. It's ridiculous. There's a whole block of just steel plates. Stay in the right lane to avoid it.
Old 10-29-09, 08:45 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

California has crappy roads and they know it. Why else would have a page devoted to filing a claim against Cal trans for damaged "stuff"

http://www.dot.ca.gov/damageclaims.htm

I was told by some city worker that you should complain somewhere to get pot holes/street fixed but i cant find it.
Old 10-29-09, 10:13 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

its 5 minutes from my house, i might check it out this weekend and take pics for you guys
Old 10-29-09, 10:14 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chrispy
There's massive construction on University Dr. at UCI. It's ridiculous. There's a whole block of just steel plates. Stay in the right lane to avoid it.
dude! i freaking go down university, past UCI to get to the 73 everyday on my way home from work... i see all that construction its really been causing alot of extra traffic in rush hour

Quick Reply: City of Newport Beach Sued For Damaging Wheels and Tires worth $8,800