CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Beware of Mobile BAR Units

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-09, 06:24 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just trolled that Honda-tech website, where the original thread was located...My god! There's like 5 different threads on stolen cars in the Southern California section alone...Also, THULE Bicycle racks are the new ish for the Honda guys it seems. LOL!
Old 12-28-09, 06:34 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CrazySC300
I just trolled that Honda-tech website, where the original thread was located...My god! There's like 5 different threads on stolen cars in the Southern California section alone...Also, THULE Bicycle racks are the new ish for the Honda guys it seems. LOL!
Theft central over there
Old 12-28-09, 06:46 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Theft central over there
Yeah, I know...that same theft mentality has been spilling over into the 240 scene for quite a while now...that might also explain why there's alot of guys from the 240SX scene coming over into the Toyota/Lexus tuning scene.
Old 12-28-09, 08:11 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ noooo don't bring the thefts over here.

oh yea, also this is one of the dumbest things i've ever heard of. as people said. waste of money. but maybe it gives some people jobs? so that might be good
Old 12-28-09, 08:17 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xuningshen
^^^ noooo don't bring the thefts over here.
Don't worry it won't happen, Good Aftermarket parts for Lexus vehicles are expensive and therefore not alot of people will have them, So thieves won't have the desire to steal them since there's no demand for 'em.
Old 12-28-09, 11:37 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Shoot, I clicked and expected to see this...
Old 12-29-09, 12:02 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

"Roadside Inspection--Smog Control Stickers

2814. Every driver of a passenger vehicle shall stop and submit the vehicle to an inspection of the mechanical condition and equipment of the vehicle at any location where members of the California Highway Patrol are conducting tests and inspections of passenger vehicles and when signs are displayed requiring such stop.

The Commissioner of the California Highway Patrol may make and enforce regulations with respect to the issuance of stickers or other devices to be displayed upon passenger vehicles as evidence that the vehicles have been inspected and have been found to be in safe mechanical condition and equipped as required by this code and equipped with certified motor vehicle pollution control devices as required by Part 5 (commencing with Section 43000) of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code which are correctly installed and in operating condition. Any sticker so issued shall be placed on the windshield within a seven-inch square as provided in Section 26708.

If, upon such an inspection of a passenger vehicle, it is found to be in unsafe mechanical condition or not equipped as required by this code and the provisions of Part 5 (commencing with Section 43000) of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code, the provisions of Article 2 (commencing with Section 40150) of Chapter 1 of Division 17 of this code, shall apply.

The provisions of this section relating to motor vehicle pollution control devices apply to vehicles of the United States or its agencies, to the extent authorized by federal law.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d02/vc2814.htm

Vehicle and Equipment Inspection

2806. Any regularly employed and salaried police officer or deputy sheriff, or any reserve police officer or reserve deputy sheriff listed in Section 830.6 of the Penal Code, having reasonable cause to believe that any vehicle or combination of vehicles is not equipped as required by this code or is in any unsafe condition as to endanger any person, may require the driver to stop and submit the vehicle or combination of vehicles to an inspection and those tests as may be appropriate to determine the safety to persons and compliance with the code.

Amended Sec. 5, Ch. 292, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d02/vc2806.htm
Old 12-29-09, 12:03 AM
FiSta
Lead Lap

is it true that if your car is too low, they won't even try because they are afraid they would damage your car? I hear this a lot, just wondering if there is any truth to this.
Old 12-29-09, 02:10 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

afaik these guys only really TARGET older cars, or anything they can see may be in some state of disrepair and therefore more likely to be a gross polluter.
generally (GENERALLY) speaking, they dont target enthusiasts as other than gross performance modifications (which tbh, percentage-wise most guys are not that likely to have) most enthusiasts keep their vehicles well maintained.
Old 12-29-09, 12:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

They had one in Cerritos some months back. I noticed they were checking older vehicles. Early 90's Camry, late 80's Mustang, 70's Corvette...pretty much anything 15 years old and newer was waved through. Although one lady driving an LS460 got cited for talking on a cell phone. LOL...
Old 12-30-09, 04:20 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FiSta
is it true that if your car is too low, they won't even try because they are afraid they would damage your car? I hear this a lot, just wondering if there is any truth to this.
It's a potential liability issue, So it could be plausible...
Old 01-03-10, 01:25 PM
iamjojo
Driver School Candidate

All over Long Beach now.
Old 01-03-10, 03:43 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what the.. i was just on that street.. didnt see anything.
Old 01-03-10, 08:08 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joeker
what the.. i was just on that street.. didnt see anything.
its mobile. they set it up randomly
Old 01-04-10, 05:50 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

There's one in PV on Hawthorne Blvd guys!...They also occasionally set these up on 190th street and Anza in Redondo.

Quick Reply: Beware of Mobile BAR Units