CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Watch Out for the Police @ Buena Park Mall

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10 | 01:28 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ntran18
Is that even legal? Sounds like you were in the mall parking lot, ie private property. I am no expert, but isn't that like them walking on your property to ticket your project car on the driveway that won't be road-worthy for months.
Originally Posted by Phil888
^^^Yeah thats what i was thinking.
iirc, yes, it is legal (evidently by the fact jerry was cited) but also since CA traffic laws do apply on such properties as well.

anyway, sorry to hear such jerry; def a good idea to take the beater there now
Old 03-10-10 | 02:55 PM
R6_Dude
Pole Position

redonkulas!
Old 03-10-10 | 03:49 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
iirc, yes, it is legal (evidently by the fact jerry was cited) but also since CA traffic laws do apply on such properties as well.

anyway, sorry to hear such jerry; def a good idea to take the beater there now
Just because they wrote you a ticket doesn't mean it's legit.
Old 03-10-10 | 05:21 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

^ yes, it is "legit."

fyi, not getting the ticket taken care of (i.e. paying off the ticket) may affect vehicle registration when it becomes due.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc4760.htm

Nonrenewal of Registration: Parking Penalties and Fees

4760. (a) (1) Except as provided in subdivision (b) or (d), the department shall refuse to renew the registration of a vehicle if the registered owner or lessee has been mailed a notice of delinquent parking violation relating to standing or parking, the processing agency has filed or electronically transmitted to the department an itemization of unpaid parking penalties, including administrative fees pursuant to Section 40220, and the owner or lessee has not paid the parking penalty and administrative fee pursuant to Section 40211, unless he or she pays to the department, at the time of application for renewal, the full amount of all outstanding parking penalties and administrative fees, as shown by records of the department.

(2) When the department receives the full amount of all outstanding parking penalties and administrative fees pursuant to paragraph (1), it shall issue a receipt showing each parking penalty and administrative fee that has been paid, the processing agency for that penalty and fee, and a description of the vehicle involved in the parking violations. The receipt shall also state that, to reduce the possibility of impoundment under Section 22651 or immobilization under Section 22651.7 of the vehicle involved in the parking violation, the registered owner or lessee may transmit to that processing agency a copy or other evidence of the receipt.

(b) The department shall not refuse to renew the registration of a vehicle owned by a renter or lessor if the applicant provides the department with the abstract or notice of disposition of parking violation issued pursuant to subdivision (c) for clearing all outstanding parking penalties and administrative fees as shown by the records of the department.

(c) The court or designated processing agency shall issue an abstract or notice of disposition of parking violation to the renter or lessor of a vehicle issued a notice of delinquent parking violation relating to standing or parking if the renter or lessor provides the court or processing agency with the name, address, and driver’s license number of the rentee or lessee at the time of occurrence of the parking violation.

(d) The department shall not refuse to renew the registration of a vehicle if the citation was issued prior to the registered owner taking possession of the vehicle.

Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 741, Stats. 2008. Effective January 1, 2009.
i wouldn't think twice about the ticket being not "legit", unless it looks seriously questionable.
Old 03-10-10 | 07:42 PM
rvalero
Lead Lap

I just talked to my Ex, who is a cop in SD county, and she said that no front plate is correctable whether the cop says it is or not. Attach the plate, get it signed off, and pay your $25. Maybe things are different in SD, but hopefully that works for you. The $108 should be the penalty if you don't get it signed off...or something like that.
Old 03-10-10 | 07:46 PM
SoCal35
Lexus Test Driver

Is that even legal? Sounds like you were in the mall parking lot, ie private property. I am no expert, but isn't that like them walking on your property to ticket your project car on the driveway that won't be road-worthy for months.
I'm no expert either but I think that if the parking lot is private property it is still made open to the public, therefore laws may be applied and enforced.

Like I said, I'm not 100% sure but signs should be posted within or at the entrance of almost all parking lots listing which laws are imposed on the lot. But who reads them anyways?
Old 03-10-10 | 08:15 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

108.00 for no front plates, Good Lord..
Old 03-10-10 | 09:46 PM
Maeve
Instructor

xknowonex, I thought you had the 'autozone' licence plate bracket?
I remember you made a thread about it, because the next day I bought the same thing for my SC.
Old 03-10-10 | 10:44 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Just because they wrote you a ticket doesn't mean it's legit.
cvc 21107 and 5200(a) may apply

Last edited by 4ntvings; 03-10-10 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-11-10 | 01:22 AM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

wow, that sucks. Cali is so broke right now, cops are probaly finding anything to get the state some money.

Even the thread regarding the front license plate at LAX is pretty bad.
Old 03-11-10 | 01:29 AM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

i'm considering to get a towhook mount now... WTH....
108$$? wow....... speechless...
Old 03-11-10 | 01:47 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Here is a list of all fines for our broke state:
http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/referenc...009_jcbail.pdf

Again, no expert here, just talking to myself... The fine looks like the right number, but seems strange to me that it bypasses the courts. This is not the typical form that you would get from a traffic cop. Usually those tickets have you pay the courts. Does this say pay to BPPD and not to contact the courts?

If you really want to do something about this. Send a copy of this ticket to the mall management and copy all the businesses to let them know that you and everyone you know will no longer do any business there while BPPD is trolling the parking lots and turning away customers. I definitely won't be doing anything there any more.

Amazingly stupid in this economic climate for BP to screw over its businesses like this. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.
Old 03-11-10 | 02:17 PM
edwinbong
Lead Lap

sounds like my ticket for backing into a space! ridiculous!!!!
Old 03-12-10 | 01:05 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Hey guys, sorry for the delayed response. I almost crapped out a brick when I saw the price of the fine with no "correctable" check box in the front.

Since this is my 3rd front plate ticket since owning the car, I am pretty familiar with getting it signed off for $10 so it was quite a relief to see that they hid this portion on the backside.

I am guessing that there would be many people who do not know any better and just bit the bullet and mail in $108. As for signing it off, most police stations charge about $15 dollars just to walk outside to sign it off.

Originally Posted by edwinbong
sounds like my ticket for backing into a space! ridiculous!!!!
What the hell? Where did they enforce that? The only place that does that is
Old 03-12-10 | 02:43 AM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Here is a list of all fines for our broke state:
http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/referenc...009_jcbail.pdf
damn... thats too many pages... i gave up after like 10

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Hey guys, sorry for the delayed response. I almost crapped out a brick when I saw the price of the fine with no "correctable" check box in the front.

Since this is my 3rd front plate ticket since owning the car, I am pretty familiar with getting it signed off for $10 so it was quite a relief to see that they hid this portion on the backside.

I am guessing that there would be many people who do not know any better and just bit the bullet and mail in $108. As for signing it off, most police stations charge about $15 dollars just to walk outside to sign it off.
lol thats more like it... i'm leaving mine off for now..

Last edited by n0th1ng; 03-12-10 at 04:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Watch Out for the Police @ Buena Park Mall