CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Wisdom needed-Trying to move

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 09:19 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going to be hell? It already is hell! That's one reason why I moved away!

Not really anything to do in MPK although there are a ton of fantastic restaurants (if you love asian food).
Old 04-07-10, 09:38 AM
soupdawg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

san gabriel valley (the region you would be moving to) ****ing sucks. i would move somewhere west of LA. if you move to SGV youll just end up driving to LA to do stuff anyways. and its way too hot in the summers since you are inland.
Old 04-07-10, 10:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TWong1200
Going to be hell? It already is hell! That's one reason why I moved away!

Not really anything to do in MPK although there are a ton of fantastic restaurants (if you love asian food).
food, if anything, is pretty much the only reason i go to MP. otherwise i just completely stay away
Old 04-07-10, 10:44 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I love getting some chinese food from mpk/alhambra. Looks like you're looking to downgrade to a 2 yr college. It's like going from UCLA to a community college. If I can I'd transfer to a 4 yr university but it can be little difficult. Another option would be to finish your school and move here for work. Anywhere in CA if it's cheap there's a reason for it. Any decent neighborhood would set you back about $1000 for 1BD or studio and that's just DECENT not 'NICE' neighborhood. Downtown LA, miracle mile, or OC is another option. Like I said before I think you should focus on finishing up your degree first. But that's just me.
Old 04-07-10, 01:24 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
food, if anything, is pretty much the only reason i go to MP. otherwise i just completely stay away
chinese food is pretty much the only thing monterey park has going for it. the number of chinese restaurants and the different types are through the roof.

there really isn't anything going on in monterey park, but there are a few places that are fun to hang out around the area. main street in alhambra, westfield santa anita, colorado street in pasadena, and downtown LA a short drive down the 10 fwy... again, a few within close driving distance.

speaking of driving, a good number of monterey park drivers are not the best or the most capable. having worked in monterey park for almost three years, my weekday commute into and out of monterey park drove me up the wall.

as long as you don't drive like a maniac and don't have anything that the police have a reason to pull you over, the cops aren't that big of an issue.

on a related note, there are quite a few socal CL members that live around the area (west SGV) and gather together for weekly meets (read: friday night meets).
Old 04-07-10, 04:10 PM
TWong350

If you haven't figured it out already, the common denominator in all these responses is...the drivers suck in MPK! LOL
Old 04-07-10, 06:20 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

if you do move down here make sure you give king taco, and jj's cafe a try oh savoy also is the shzz.

agree mpk drivers are horrible.
Old 04-07-10, 08:33 PM
TWong350

Ah....Savoy. Salivating I am. Definitley King Taco and another in Pasadena is Zankou Chicken. Damn I'm hungry!
Old 04-07-10, 09:03 PM
Pspice
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol well i dont need to be in the town with all the fun when iget home i want to feel safe you know...

food is awesome im mad fat...

im looking into some other schools now
Old 04-07-10, 09:13 PM
Pspice
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
The larger universities (legit ones, not TV colleges ) are UCLA, Calstate Los Angeles, Loyola Marymount University, and there may be a few more.

It's best to take a trip down here for a few days before you decide. Factor in traffic if you need to commute because it could get UGLY.

Knowing that area, what the heck is your friend doing in Monterey Park that's "fun"? Actually don't answer

Calstate is the only one that offers computer engineering...not to mention the cheapest as well =]
Old 04-08-10, 02:09 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

cal state LA is just a few exits west of monterey park on the 10 fwy.
Old 04-08-10, 08:35 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Yeaup Cal state LA is one of the cheapest and easiest colleges? a few members go to csula I might go also if i get rejected from LB
Old 04-08-10, 10:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Yeaup Cal state LA is one of the cheapest and easiest colleges? a few members go to csula I might go also if i get rejected from LB
i hope i am not saying this wrong, but i don't think "easiest" or not should be something as a priority in college selection. easiest doesn't mean good, in fact "hard" is usually for a good reason
Old 04-08-10, 11:11 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i hope i am not saying this wrong, but i don't think "easiest" or not should be something as a priority in college selection. easiest doesn't mean good, in fact "hard" is usually for a good reason
Well probably not the easiest, but not as "hard" as others? As a couple of my CSULA friends mention. Yes i agree if the school is harder it will be better for your education.
Old 04-08-10, 11:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i always think of education as a good investment. tough during the process, but give you better potential return

Quick Reply: Wisdom needed-Trying to move