CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Boostin and Cops

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-10, 12:56 AM
o6spdracer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahaha! I had an MR2 Turbo, not heavily modded, but enough. I drive her around Newport and Irvine and had cops give me a nod to not even a glance. As long as you don't drive like a crazy and draw a lot of attention to yourself, you should be okay. I'm still trying to convince the gf we should. It's more fuel efficient is my excuse...hahaha...so far it doesn't look like its going to fly. Anyways, good luck!
Old 04-15-10, 08:02 AM
ZhiuPei
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup
been boosted for almost 3 years now..
i painted my FMIC black, plus my car is yellow..

just dont do nothing stupid and ull be ok..
Old 04-15-10, 02:45 PM
RPS13
Driver School Candidate

Had my car boosting since 05. Got my first ref ticket in September 09 and postponed bail until march 2010. Trial date is this 20th -$619 for ref ticket. I'm fighting for the money back but if you don't care about the ref just pay the ticket and you don have to take it to state referee. You just have to watch for the sheriffs cuz they are mean
Old 04-15-10, 02:58 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

just try not to get a ref ticket twice. That's when you start getting raped.
Old 04-15-10, 04:26 PM
roy1928
Lexus Test Driver

do it tom! just remember that when pigs get behind you, especially CHP, theyll be able to smell you. so do whatever you gotta do to not get pulled over for exhaust/ impounded for cats/ etc etc
Old 04-15-10, 04:37 PM
soulific
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

just do it and go incognito like everyone said. Honestly lose that kit though. If I were a cop I would pull you over based on that front bumper and gold rims alone.
Old 04-15-10, 04:40 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

be 1000 + RWHP n run away from the cops with easy.

jk
Old 04-15-10, 04:44 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

remember your excuse for boost...

With a turbo... gas atomizes better which thus gives you better mpg. Better mpg = using less gas = saving the environment.
Old 04-16-10, 02:00 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Tom

Not to scare you in anyway but I met up with a old friend yesterday with a sick s2k. He had it supercharged kitted white with gold rims.

I asked him if he got poped yet for his intercooler and charger.

He told me first 24hours LOL..... He payed the fine and hasnt been popped since.

He looked at my car and was like clean until I told him it was Turbo he didnt believe me. Thats how I want my car to be viewed
Old 04-17-10, 05:16 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Personally never seen nor heard about getting impounded on the spot.

A few years back, at the Eibach meet, a few cars got impounded. Granted they were Hondas but flatbeds were called in.

Fortunately now, I think Eibach, being a big business as they are, have worked things out with local law enforcement so they leave the patrons alone as long as they abide by the law.
Old 04-18-10, 09:55 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
A few years back, at the Eibach meet, a few cars got impounded. Granted they were Hondas but flatbeds were called in.
I remember that year. The cops didn't impound his car, but they gave him a ref ticket for being boosted and required him to tow the car home because once you get a ref ticket you're no longer allowed to drive the car on the street until it is fixed. The cops even followed the tow truck for a few miles to make sure the driver didn't just tow the car and drop it off somewhere else.
Old 04-18-10, 11:37 PM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

I got a ref ticket before for my motor. You have like a couple months before the test. But boy was that a stress filled month. had to have everything perfect on the motor.
Old 04-20-10, 09:43 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

I daily driven my gs when it was na-t, and here's a few tips for running a motor that won't past visual:

1. Hide the intercooler as much as possible. That includes no blue couplers showing at the end tanks; find some black ones or use black electrical tape to hide it. You have no idea how much attention i got even with a stock bumper. Some people even went as far as painting the fmic black.

2. Big canister exhaust also attracts attention. Keep your resonators and go with an electronic cut-out or a vacuum-operated one.

3. Noise. If you have a straight pipe all the way to the back, you will be able to hear the turbo spooling. Go with a recirculated valve instead of a BOV. If your turbo has a small A/R ratio, you might want to connect your wastegate to your downpipe and not open dump. If you have a built engine, then you're just gonna have to make sure your driving skill is good enough to never stop for the cops

4. Show and shine. Cops now look for shiny piping; mkiv supra owners often get trouble for fmic and piping even though they are on bpu. Keep engine managements hidden inside your interior instead of showing on the engine bay. Aftermarket wastegate is also a dead giveaway and that should be always hidden underneath the exhaust manifold.

5. Last but not least, you will need a place that you can trust to smog your car.

Would I boost again after all this trouble? Yes.

Last edited by ElitistK; 04-20-10 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-20-10, 12:11 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ElitistK
I daily driven my gs when it was na-t, and here's a few tips for running a motor that won't past visual:

1. Hide the intercooler as much as possible. That includes no blue couplers showing at the end tanks; find some black ones or use black electrical tape to hide it. You have no idea how much attention i got even with a stock bumper. Some people even went as far as painting the fmic black.

2. Big canister exhaust also attracts attention. Keep your resonators and go with an electronic cut-out or a vacuum-operated one.

3. Noise. If you have a straight pipe all the way to the back, you will be able to hear the turbo spooling. Go with a recirculated valve instead of a BOV. If your turbo has a small A/R ratio, you might want to connect your wastegate to your downpipe and not open dump. If you have a built engine, then you're just gonna have to make sure your driving skill is good enough to never stop for the cops

4. Show and shine. Cops now look for shiny piping; mkiv supra owners often get trouble for fmic and piping even though they are on bpu. Keep engine managements hidden inside your interior instead of showing on the engine bay. Aftermarket wastegate is also a dead giveaway and that should be always hidden underneath the exhaust manifold.

5. Last but not least, you will need a place that you can trust to smog your car.

Would I boost again after all this trouble? Yes.
Best advice i've heard so far!!

Old 04-20-10, 12:16 PM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

haha is this how CA is paying off that deficit?

Quick Reply: Boostin and Cops