CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Boostin and Cops

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10, 01:29 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boostin and Cops

I want to boost my car over the summer, but i have one concern...Living in California

If you get pulled over do you just get a fix it ticket if your being pulled over for something besides speeding?

If i were to get a ref ticket i wouldn't care. it'd be a HUGE hassle, but I could return everything to stock depending on the time frame.

How much time do you get for ref tickets?

What are the terms for instantly impounding a car on the spot?
Old 04-14-10, 01:35 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There are a few people who are boosting in socal.. definitely the worse place to turbo a car but i plan on doing it in the future also.

I think the big give away is FMIC and i believe your car has the big mouth so good luck with that. Also another good thing is to hide your gauges. A cop will automatically think your car is fixed up if you have gauges.

I believe most cops dont even know about turbo lexus..
Old 04-14-10, 01:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TomLee
I want to boost my car over the summer, but i have one concern...Living in California

If you get pulled over do you just get a fix it ticket if your being pulled over for something besides speeding?

If i were to get a ref ticket i wouldn't care. it'd be a HUGE hassle, but I could return everything to stock depending on the time frame.

How much time do you get for ref tickets?

What are the terms for instantly impounding a car on the spot?
if they want you to pop the hood but you don't cooperate (that's your right), then they have the right to impound your car.

i can't remember exactly, but i think if they see that you don't have cat, they can impound it too?

for sure it won't be just a fix ticket, especially if they see you with a turbo/charger in the bay
Old 04-14-10, 01:39 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

this isnt good news
Old 04-14-10, 01:51 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Definitely not fun to boost in Nazifornia but people still do it.

I think 3 big things we can do is

1) Hide the FMIC as much as possible as it basically screams boost.
2) Position boost/pressure/AFR gauges in smart locations.
3) Get a not so loud exhaust or one that only screams on WOT.

Aside from that, we will be driving a Lexus, don't think we'll get as much attention from cops such as the Supra/Evo scene as long we don't drive like idiots.

Gotta pay to play but I plan on boosting when I get my SC
Old 04-14-10, 02:00 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah that's basically all you can do, hide fmic, gauges, dont get a exhaust that is loud. keep stock exhaust but upgrade everything else? Thats what some people do.

Dont drive like a idiot.
Old 04-14-10, 02:05 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Tom, this is what i would do cuz i assume your going NA-T
- Paint your FMIC black.
- Hide you gauges in the glove or ashtray area (what im doing).
- Make sure your exhaust is quiet (mine is double resonators, 2nd cat + highflow cat downpiped)
- Reroute your BOV ( i only blow off when i step on it hard )

If your going NA-T you cant do much about your motor.. THEY WILL SEE THE TURBO!... 2JZGTE change your value cover to BLANK so it doesnt say TWIN TURBO and your turbos are hidden by stock piping anyways. NO SHINY PIPES AT ALL! like my engine bay here:

and again this is simple precaution.. if you get that one cop that knows about cars ur screwed no matter what. luckly im legal as possible usdm im pretty sure i can pass BAR but wont until i get asked to.

I believe they tow your car if you were caught racing... illegal mods they just send you to BAR. cuz thats just more money in the pocket for the state

Last edited by eliteskill; 04-14-10 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-14-10, 02:40 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I would much rather save up for a 2jz-gte swap and have it certified. Plus you get to say you have a GTE
Old 04-14-10, 03:26 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Quit being a pansy and just do it. I daily'd my 1jz for 3 years. What i would do if i were you is get rid of that Origin front bumper and get something that will hide the FMIC more or even run a SMIC.

If you get pulled over, they might either just simply give you a ref ticket or a fix it ticket. Fix it ticket would only be for things like exhaust and no front plate. If they pop your hood and see a turbocharger they are going to ref you. You most likely won't get impounded unless you were racing or doing something pretty reckless (however people have been impounded for having no cats).

If you do get a REF ticket, you usually get about 3 months to handle it. You can always ask for an extension of course. Putting it back to stock, i wouldn't reccommend. Just pay the fine and go on with your life.
Old 04-14-10, 03:32 PM
tommyGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it just all comes down to how u drive.. i've been boosting for almost 2 years now.. big fmic, 3 in your face gauges and a very flashy gs(custom paint, kit, and high polish wheels) and i have no problems with cops.
Old 04-14-10, 04:07 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
I would much rather save up for a 2jz-gte swap and have it certified. Plus you get to say you have a GTE
i wanna....this would be my preferred option..
Old 04-14-10, 04:08 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by eliteskill
Tom, this is what i would do cuz i assume your going NA-T
- Paint your FMIC black.
- Hide you gauges in the glove or ashtray area (what im doing).
- Make sure your exhaust is quiet (mine is double resonators, 2nd cat + highflow cat downpiped)
- Reroute your BOV ( i only blow off when i step on it hard )

If your going NA-T you cant do much about your motor.. THEY WILL SEE THE TURBO!... 2JZGTE change your value cover to BLANK so it doesnt say TWIN TURBO and your turbos are hidden by stock piping anyways. NO SHINY PIPES AT ALL! like my engine bay here:

and again this is simple precaution.. if you get that one cop that knows about cars ur screwed no matter what. luckly im legal as possible usdm im pretty sure i can pass BAR but wont until i get asked to.

I believe they tow your car if you were caught racing... illegal mods they just send you to BAR. cuz thats just more money in the pocket for the state

so clean
Old 04-14-10, 04:17 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

TOM JUST BOOST ALREADY!!! all the cool kids are doing it!?!? right VINH?

btw Side Mount Intercoolers are good for BPU levels.. im BPU'in this month so if you dont need the attention.. go side mount. My side mount is fine as long as I dont track my car for 2hours straight it doesnt get heat soaked.
Old 04-14-10, 04:21 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by eliteskill
TOM JUST BOOST ALREADY!!! all the cool kids are doing it!?!? right VINH?

btw Side Mount Intercoolers are good for BPU levels.. im BPU'in this month so if you dont need the attention.. go side mount. My side mount is fine as long as I dont track my car for 2hours straight it doesnt get heat soaked.
Where did you source your engineeee
Old 04-14-10, 04:24 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

JDM block USDM everything else... supraforums and others.. the motor was put together piece by piece to be smog legal, not cheap =( luckly i picked it up this way from the mech I know that built it.

Quick Reply: Boostin and Cops