CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Ticket ? re: front license plate and tint

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-10, 02:52 PM
n3w813
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ticket ? re: front license plate and tint

So I just found out the bail amount for my no front license plate and tint violations is around $350. After calculating the cost of taking the tint off, getting the correction, and putting the tint back on, the cost will be just a bit less than the full bail amount.

My questions are, can I just send in a check with the full bail amount and be done with this? Will I still have to appear in court after paying the bail? Will points be charged against me via DMV?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-04-10, 03:11 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think they give u points... only moving violation are reported to dmv for points... correct me if i'm wrong...
but how come its costing you so much for tints and front plates on and off? it shouldnt cost u that much...

good luck...
Old 06-04-10, 03:34 PM
SickES350
Pole Position

tint and front plate are non moving violations. but no front plate and tint for $350 seems steep? .... or are you including cost of material and labor?

go to court when you're paying it off and see a judge, and see if you can get that reduced to a fix-it ticket fine instead of the maximum fine.
Old 06-04-10, 03:48 PM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

My last tint ticket had the "non-correctable" clause circled on it, so when I went to court with my tint off, the fee was even larger due to "admin fees".

Check your ticket.

Flip
Old 06-04-10, 04:14 PM
n3w813
Driver School Candidate

The ~350 is the bail amount listed on the letter that was sent to me via mail.

The tint and license plate violations ARE marked correctable on the ticket, but the cost for me to remove the tint, mount the license plate, take it to a CHP or sherrif's office, and put the tint back on I've calculated would be close to the 350.
For the corrections, there is a $20 fee when you get it corrected, and when you send in the ticket with the correction there is a court service charge (forgot how much) AND an additional fee of $50 per violation corrected (says so on the letter), so that's another $100. To put back the tint for the front windows, it would be another $120 (Formula One Pinnacle), plus the time I need to take off to put the tint back on. Which altogether comes close to 250-300.

But if I can just pay the full bail at 350 and not do any of the above, then I'd rather do that.

So my questions still stand when I pay full bail....
-Will I still have to appear in court?
-Will I still have to show proof of correction in future?

Thanks to those who answered the points question.
Old 06-04-10, 04:29 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, your county is sucking you dry. I received a fix ticket that was marked correctable in Ventura County couple months ago. I received via mail the amounts: $20.00 fee plus the violation corrected.

$175.00 fee with no correction.

No other fees were tagged along with it. No appearance in court unless I wanted to contest it and would have to go in person a set up a court date to appear.

I corrected the violation, removed the front tint, went to the sheriffs dept, had it signed off, then mailed the corrected ticket and $20.00 check and that was it. Of course as soon as I got it signed off, I had tint put back on, but lighter, so I wouldnt get bothered in the future. The cost for the strip and re tint was $55.00, I actually had them strip all my tint on my 98 ES300 and placed new tint on all 5 windows for $175.00

My car needed to be retinted and got it stripped and re tinted for a great price. Good luck bro.
Old 06-04-10, 05:03 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Or be smart and put on a front license plate and get lighter tint. Socal has really been cracking down on tint ticket lately. A couple of years ago, I remember you wouldn't get a tint ticket unless they pull you over for speeding or other moving violation. Now, the state is broke and they pull over several of my friends for a freaking tint ticket recently.
Old 06-05-10, 02:53 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Why would they mark a tint ticket not correctable??
Old 06-05-10, 04:00 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

i would fix it and save some money on it..
if you pay the full bail i dont think you have to appear in the court or show any proof..

i thought it was $25 per violation for fix it.. did they change the price again??? it used to be $10... if its $50 /per thats just plain stupid...
Old 06-05-10, 05:04 PM
eggwoll
Lead Lap

WTF, I got a correctable tint ticket like a month ago, and I never got anything in mail regarding the bail amount. I had the ticket signed off and I mailed that with a check for 25 dollars. Should I be worried? I just mailed it in yesterday.

What's funny is that I got the ticket right in front of California Tint.
Old 06-05-10, 05:42 PM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Talking

Originally Posted by eggwoll
WTF, I got a correctable tint ticket like a month ago, and I never got anything in mail regarding the bail amount. I had the ticket signed off and I mailed that with a check for 25 dollars. Should I be worried? I just mailed it in yesterday.

What's funny is that I got the ticket right in front of California Tint.
haahah this made my day...
yea i got a speeding ticket and tint ticket. just paid for my speeding. and then got my ticket signed off from a friend =)
i did notice that if i didn't want to corect the violation it was higher $ bail amount.
This is new to me. i would also like to know if you pay noncorrected price if you ever have to get it corrected???
Old 06-05-10, 06:07 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by allst4r
haahah this made my day...
yea i got a speeding ticket and tint ticket. just paid for my speeding. and then got my ticket signed off from a friend =)
i did notice that if i didn't want to corect the violation it was higher $ bail amount.
This is new to me. i would also like to know if you pay noncorrected price if you ever have to get it corrected???
I'm pretty sure you will get a ticket again and will have to pay the same amount if you don't want to fix it.
Old 06-05-10, 10:55 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

^some people have gone their entire lives in CA without a front plate and a dark front window tint. it just depends on the county and how one drives. if they appear to be an attention grabber, then there might be trouble. i remember being parked on the the side of the street, and i got a ticket for no front plate...and i clearly had a semi-dark front window tint on as well. cop only wrote me a ticket for the front plate. it just depends, but if it happens again, i wouldnt risk it happening a third time. too much stress and unnecessary additional work
Old 06-05-10, 11:35 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5% tint all around, i was very nice talking to the officer and he did not write me up thank jebus!
Old 06-06-10, 07:20 AM
7DOOBIE7
Pole Position

Is it legal to just place your plate on your front dash in the lower right corner or does it need to be physically mounted to the bumper? I have a small mini chrome LEXUS plate from the dealership i want to run out front but am afraid of getting pulled over for it.

Effin California is so money hungry now a days.. Thanks Arnold you *****!!

A friend of mine got a ticket for littering by simply ashing her cig out the window of her car at a stop light. She didn't throw the butt out, just ashed it. Ridiculous! Ash is like dust in the wind for crying out loud..

I'm moving to Canada

Quick Reply: Ticket ? re: front license plate and tint