CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Should I be worried? Off duty Police Road Rage...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-10, 10:49 AM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I be worried? Off duty Police Road Rage...

HEy guys, just honestly, wanted to get your guys opinion, or if you have any Police friends.

I'll try to be brief as possible:

I was going to meet my sister for dinner, so it was my wife and I in the car Driving to meet her up.

I was driving on the 71 Frwy (as most of you know in So Cali is a 2 lane freeway) yesterday.

I merged on the the freeway in the slow lane, then proceeded on to the passing fast lane. I few moments later a White Chevy Tahoe, goes on the slow lane. The driver gives me a Nasty dirty look and Flips me off, and then procceds to "cut me off" to get in the fast lane and slows down in front of me.

As the Carpool lane opens up (my wife in the passenger side), I go into that lane, and look at the driver who cut me off and he gives me another nasty look and flips me off. So I go into the lane he's in and slow down and give him a dirty look.

He follows me about 3 miles pacing me at about 75mph and then drives up to me and gives me a Nasty look and Flashes his "Police badge", and I just raise my arms at him like "what?" So he then goes behind me, tailgating me, and gets on his Phone, I guessing calling someone, the WHOLE time being on his phone.

He tailgates me the WHOLE time going about 70-75mph on to the 60 frwy, then just exits in Diamond Bar. for about 3-5 minutes.

I did not threaten him or anything, nor did I flash anything at him.

My question is this, he obviously got my license plate number. I have no tickets, no warrants, nothing. I've had a clean record since I started driving.

Is this something I should be worried about, about him giving me a ticket being off duty or something, or just let it go?

PLEASE any help would be appreciated or advice. Just want to pu this behind me and not stress out Thanks
Old 06-05-10, 11:00 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't have any expertise in the area as far as what off duty cops can do, but I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you did get a ticket, and this is only theoretical, you would have the opportunity to go to court and it would come to light who this guy is and what his role was. I suspect he was a fake cop anyway and he sounds like quite a serious a-hole.
Old 06-05-10, 11:05 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you have nothing to worry about. if he did not do anything to you then, he cant do anything to you now. if he was a real cop, most likely he called in and told an on duty cop to look out for you. its the same thing as reporting a drunk driver, you get in trouble only if a cop sees you driving recklessly
Old 06-05-10, 11:42 AM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he could be a security guard.... lol.. as far as i know, you wouldn't have to go to court being that you never signed anything.. it's like when they give you a ticket and say you have to sign it promising that you will appear in court.. since you didn't sign anything and no citations were given, i think you're okay
Old 06-05-10, 11:54 AM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol i would have got his license number. then badge number and file a complaint if hes a cop.

He is probbly really not a cop. since if he was going to do something why would he flash his badge and make himself noticeable. im an a hole when i drive anyways. cutting pplz off. but thats just how i drive. like my car is stolen.
Old 06-05-10, 12:09 PM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

hey guys thanks for the responses. I was just curious beacause I've read online, that an off-duty cop can still be an on-duty cop, and that they can mail you out a ticket in the mail. I've read worst case scenarios where they can mail you a ticket for Wreckless driving, which would suck big time.

But if some of you said, that I have to sign a ticket to make if official..i would imagine, since he got my plates he can mail it to me.

It sucks I didn't get a chance to write down his plates.
Old 06-05-10, 12:22 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't worry. You won't get a ticket. My money is on him being a fake.
Old 06-05-10, 02:09 PM
SickES350
Pole Position

call CHP, report a wreckless driving vehicle... get the plates and direction. >=P
Old 06-05-10, 02:45 PM
poorbong
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

i had an experience with an off duty cop before where he flashed his badge and forced me to pull over...i just flipped him off and kept driving. i wouldn't worry about it.
Old 06-05-10, 06:27 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

When cops are off-duty they can't stop you or do anything, so don't worry about it. Probably a fake cop.
Old 06-05-10, 06:43 PM
omfgitzada
Rookie

they cant do anything to you cuz they're not techically "working." plus if he was a cop he shouldnt be flipping u off then flashing his badge after. gives cops a bad image (like they already dont =P)

the only thing i could think of is he may have called in ur license plate to see if you have any priors or warrants out, so he could follow you until a real black and white shows up to stop u.
Old 06-05-10, 06:45 PM
JZ TWINS
Driver School Candidate

As everyone has said, you don't have to worry about the ticket. What I would be concerned with is, if he was a real cop, he ran your plate and got your info (name/address).
Old 06-05-10, 07:04 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

+1 i dont think you have anything to worry about.. same thing happend to me when i was using cell phone on freeway to call my family that i was stuck on traffic..
nothing happend after couple of month now..
Old 06-05-10, 07:59 PM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

thanks guys for the support, the only thing I was worried is him having my name/adress etc..if he was a real cop, and him finding me and giving me a hassle or something later.

I talked to one of my cop friends that works for pomona PD, and he said that he cannot do anything unless he was phoning in a CHP to watch out for me saying I was driving recklessly. Other then that I'm fine.

I'm sure he got my plates because he was following behind me for over 10 minutes pretty much tailgating me.

Just kind of worries me that he has all my info and stuff.

Thanks guys
Old 06-05-10, 09:43 PM
KpXMystic
Lead Lap

prolly a rent a cop, dont even trip about it

Quick Reply: Should I be worried? Off duty Police Road Rage...