CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Car Got Impounded -____-

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-10, 05:23 PM
IS25Heaven
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down Car Got Impounded -____-

So last night I was driving in Downtown LA and i get popped for not having a front license plate. I give them my registration, insurance and license. They come back telling me I have a suspended license. Something that I was not aware of. They asked me if the owner of the vehicle (my dad) was around to take the car home. I told them that he is out of the country and if my mom could take the car home. They replied that only the owner of the vehicle was able to take the car home. They impounded the car took them over an hour and half because they couldnt put the car on the flatbed. Anyways I went to the DMV at 8, been there all day long and found out i needed this form called sr-22 back in march. My license had been suspended since then, funny because I never received anything in the mail. Got all the documents necessary and now my license straight and I'm good to drive. Here is why i made this thread. My dad wont be back for another 2 months, and they wont release the car to my mom. Is there anyway I can get the car back? Use some type of service that are able to retrieve my car back? They told me that I had to have a notarized document stating that my dad is letting me take the car home, but I dont know if they recognize any notary from other countries.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 08-05-10, 05:42 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by IS25Heaven
So last night I was driving in Downtown LA and i get popped for not having a front license plate. I give them my registration, insurance and license. They come back telling me I have a suspended license. Something that I was not aware of. They asked me if the owner of the vehicle (my dad) was around to take the car home. I told them that he is out of the country and if my mom could take the car home. They replied that only the owner of the vehicle was able to take the car home. They impounded the car took them over an hour and half because they couldnt put the car on the flatbed. Anyways I went to the DMV at 8, been there all day long and found out i needed this form called sr-22 back in march. My license had been suspended since then, funny because I never received anything in the mail. Got all the documents necessary and now my license straight and I'm good to drive. Here is why i made this thread. My dad wont be back for another 2 months, and they wont release the car to my mom. Is there anyway I can get the car back? Use some type of service that are able to retrieve my car back? They told me that I had to have a notarized document stating that my dad is letting me take the car home, but I dont know if they recognize any notary from other countries.

Thanks in Advance.
Hmmm, why was your license suspended? Unpaid ticket, DUI or unreported car accident to DMV?

If your dad is the registered owner of the car (person listed on the registration on your car), he is the only one that can retrieve it from the tow yard. If he's not coming back for 2 months, there's a good chance your car would be put up for lien sale after 30 days.
Old 08-05-10, 05:46 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the SR22 form for? Have to be a reason why your license is suspended.
Old 08-05-10, 05:54 PM
phongh
Lead Lap

An SR22 form is the document produced by an insurance carrier to verify a driver is insured. It's usually only required for problem drivers, particularly those who've been cited for DUI or driving without insurance. The SR22 can be used to verify an adequate insurance policy, or the existence of an SR22 bond--a surety backed by a deposit with a qualified financial institution.
Old 08-05-10, 05:57 PM
yausito
Rookie

Sad man ....

I got pull over 2 years ago in NYC , My licence was suspended WITHOUt me knowing. They Let my friend drive the car back home. and Obviously i got arrested ! grrrr ...

Anyways... u better do what u have to do quick. if not u gonna be end up paying a lot more for the towing truck and the yard ..

GL
Old 08-05-10, 06:13 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

vc section 14606.2, subsection a.2:

The law enforcement agency shall be open to issue a release to the registered owner or legal owner, or the agent of either, whenever the agency is open to serve the public for regular, nonemergency business.
i would believe that a notarized power of attorney letter to have you or your mother legally responsible for the vehicle should suffice.

as far as how the notarizing works... i have no idea. maybe someone who has more knowledge of this can chime in.
Old 08-05-10, 08:25 PM
a#'z
Lead Lap

I don't know how it works, but the longer you leave it at a tow yard, it's like 45 bucks a day. =/ ridiculous.
Old 08-05-10, 08:33 PM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats the real story with you getting pulled over... this one or the one you told me?
Old 08-05-10, 08:38 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by windex
whats the real story with you getting pulled over... this one or the one you told me?
(sit cross legged) no you tell us.
Old 08-05-10, 08:44 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS25Heaven
i get popped for not having a front license plate.
^ this.. put your plate on.. and you wont have problems..... people really dont get it? Theres a few other threads that I posted the same thing as well. People getting tickets because they refuse to rock the plate. What do you gain without having a plate on? Your car is cool because you have no front plate? Its a MINOR cosmetic to the whole car that doesnt change its whole status. I never got that whole trend. I just slap a nice lexus frame and its pimping and dont get pulled over and spend $$$ time on something as dumb as that.

Reality is your dad is the only one that can take the car out himself. They will hold it and charge you storage on it everyday until he comes picks it up.

People that dont put their plate on because it looks ugly are asking for trouble and unnecessary lost of money for tickets.

Especially if you have a suspended license? (whatever the story is behind that via windex).

Goodluck, next time just slap it on.
Old 08-05-10, 09:20 PM
IS25Heaven
Lexus Test Driver

I talked to the lady at the dmv and the reason that i needed this sr-22 was because I got 3 points during the time that i was an underage driver. Its 4 points if you are over the age of 18.
Old 08-05-10, 09:30 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Get the form notarized back in the other country with translation. You SHOULD be able to get your car out.

I am from a different country also and I took care of MANY more important things then a simple thing as a "car in tow yard".
Old 08-05-10, 09:35 PM
IS25Heaven
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Get the form notarized back in the other country with translation. You SHOULD be able to get your car out.

I am from a different country also and I took care of MANY more important things then a simple thing as a "car in tow yard".
Cool, PM incoming. Want to ask a few questions.
Old 08-05-10, 11:33 PM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

God damn it man wow... speechless. I would be panicking like hell. Dude I pray best of luck and hope everything works out man. GL man!

Originally Posted by eliteskill
^ this.. put your plate on.. and you wont have problems..... people really dont get it? Theres a few other threads that I posted the same thing as well. People getting tickets because they refuse to rock the plate. What do you gain without having a plate on? Your car is cool because you have no front plate? Its a MINOR cosmetic to the whole car that doesnt change its whole status. I never got that whole trend. I just slap a nice lexus frame and its pimping and dont get pulled over and spend $$$ time on something as dumb as that.

Reality is your dad is the only one that can take the car out himself. They will hold it and charge you storage on it everyday until he comes picks it up.

People that dont put their plate on because it looks ugly are asking for trouble and unnecessary lost of money for tickets.

Especially if you have a suspended license? (whatever the story is behind that via windex).

Goodluck, next time just slap it on.
come on, lets take it easy now. reason why he posted this was for some advice on the impound/notarizing issue, not the license. Lets help him out if we can
Old 08-06-10, 02:31 AM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

is the car paid off? if its still financed doesn't the bank technically own the car too? anyway they could help you get it outta there?

Last edited by xuningshen; 08-10-10 at 06:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Car Got Impounded -____-