CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Front License Plate Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-10, 03:44 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugh! I once got like 3 consecutive tickets for not having front plates while parked out in L.A...each ticket came out to $25 a pop...Ever since then, My Plates are always ziptied onto my front bumper, There's no way in hell I will drill holes into my front bumper.
Old 09-10-10, 03:54 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nairb
Was your car on when you got the ticket? or did you just come to your car to find a ticket? A car that is not on can not be given a ticket. Cops wouldn't give you a ticket for doing a photo shoot with your plates off. But if your keys were in the ignition...
This makes no sense. What does your car being on or off have to do with it? If your car is on a public street you will get a ticket.

FWIW if you park your car at LAX and the plates aren't on the car you'll get a ticket. The same city agencies that give out tickets for parking in red painted curbs at the mall and handicap parking spots can and will give tickets for no front plate.
Old 09-11-10, 11:11 AM
ton3r
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the info. ill just ziptie it and pay the 30 dollars -_-
Old 09-11-10, 01:37 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

don't even bother with zip ties. just avoid puente hills mall altogether.
Old 09-11-10, 02:59 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

I go to puente hills mall all the time, never got a no front plate ticket.
I did get one last week however.
Old 09-11-10, 03:38 PM
ton3r
Pole Position

Originally Posted by projectdna
don't even bother with zip ties. just avoid puente hills mall altogether.
dont i have to put it on to show that i fixed it?
Old 09-11-10, 03:39 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah you do, zipties should do the job, thats what the officer told me to do.
It was like my 3rd violation of no front plate,
he told me next time i get caught without it i can get arrested
Old 09-11-10, 04:36 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ton3r
dont i have to put it on to show that i fixed it?
based on personal experience, and if you were cited by city of industry's parking enforcement agency, no.

the only reason you have to "put it on to show that (you) fixed it" is if you want to get it signed off. even then, you will have to pay a $10 "processing fee" or something along that line to the parking enforcement agency.

Originally Posted by TokerIS350
Yeah you do, zipties should do the job, thats what the officer told me to do.
It was like my 3rd violation of no front plate,
he told me next time i get caught without it i can get arrested
1. were you cited by either the local PD or LA county sheriff?

2. is there something in the CVC (california vehicle code) that would lead you to believe that you can get arrested for multiple citations of the same "no front plate" violation?
Old 09-11-10, 05:47 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

I have received a parking ticket while parked at a mall before. If you take it to a station, and if they are doing their job by the book, they will not sign it off if you use a zip-tie as it is not "permanently affixed" to the vehicle.

Your second option is that if you run into an officer on the streets at a 711 or a Starbucks, kiss some butt and they will sign it off for you. That worked for me.

Originally Posted by rominl
short answer is, even on private lot, law enforcement can enforce the law if they choose to. quick way to think about it is, if you go to a private lot, does that mean you can drift and do donut all day long?
I am not a lawyer by any stretch of the imagination but it is sort of a gray area. Areas such as a shopping center, mall, etc are considered a somewhat a public area as anybody has access to it. Some malls have signs that says that traffic laws are enforced by X Police Department. The Police patrols through shopping centers and malls all the time, as they should.

Speaking of drifting, a coworker of mine drifted in an Albertson's parking lot a few years back while I was working there and there happened to be a police officer in the parking lot at the Starbucks. Needless to say, he got his 240sx towed for wreckless driving and exhibition of speed etc. However, if he owned the entire shopping complex, I am pretty sure he can get out of it as it is his property.

Last edited by xknowonex; 09-11-10 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-11-10, 07:22 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

a modded SC by my work got a ticket. City of Glendale...front plate ticket, no driver present, vehicle was parked.
Old 09-12-10, 12:58 PM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

proof enough our state is broke.... might as well get off my butt and attach my front plate now.....
Old 09-12-10, 06:28 PM
rvalero
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
I have received a parking ticket while parked at a mall before. If you take it to a station, and if they are doing their job by the book, they will not sign it off if you use a zip-tie as it is not "permanently affixed" to the vehicle.
Somebody told me that they used double-sided tape to temporarily mount the plate. Then they cut the heads off some bolts, and glued them to the plate to make it appear permanently affixed.
Old 09-12-10, 09:53 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by projectdna
1. were you cited by either the local PD or LA county sheriff?

2. is there something in the CVC (california vehicle code) that would lead you to believe that you can get arrested for multiple citations of the same "no front plate" violation?
I was cited by the California Highway Patrol. LOL. Not on the highway either.
and the Officer himself told me he could have had me arrested but he cut me some slack.. but he said the next officer might not feel the same way lol..

I personally think it makes sense.
Basically disobeying the cops when you don't have your plate on, especially if its been more than once.
Old 09-13-10, 11:39 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TokerIS350
I was cited by the California Highway Patrol. LOL. Not on the highway either.
and the Officer himself told me he could have had me arrested but he cut me some slack.. but he said the next officer might not feel the same way lol..

I personally think it makes sense.
Basically disobeying the cops when you don't have your plate on, especially if its been more than once.
Law enforcement agencies in California actually have broad authority. CHP enforce laws off the highways all the time. In some rare cases, they assist local city agencies with anti-gang task forces as well. It is the same the other way around too. City agencies can enforce the law on the highways and outside of their city as well. So, for example, if a Santa Police car was en route to a Police Academy in another city and he spots someone doing something egregious he has the authority to write a ticket and make arrests beyond his city borders if necessary. People often have the misconception that 'Oh he is doesn't belong in this city, he can't do anything to me'.
Old 09-14-10, 10:12 AM
Lexus999
Pole Position

about a month ago

around 2 in the morning i zipped through that mall and did cali stop at a stop sign. they had security guard who turned on his yellow flashing lights??? LOLOLOL like im gonna stop for that!!!! not only did i took off but i peeled out and caught something metal that flung out hit the rent-a-cop windhield hard!!! so if they are acting like a-holes.. I think im the one to blame for that..... sorry

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Ticket